Dish Network / as a former employee let me tell you

As a former employee of this godforsaken company, let me tell you for certain that they don't give a damn about either their customers or their employees. Permit me to elaborate:

1) Employees were told during the interviews that the company would work with their schedule. Soon as we're hired on, we're told "You work around Dish Network, not the other way around." Several employees turned in their gear because of that...we didn't want to spend the rest of our lives working for some miserable piece of ### company who thought that they were the center of the universe!

2) Agents are basically told that we have no power. That if we give more than a $5 adjustment, we're going to get lit up like a Christmas tree. We basically have to do a giant circle jerk just to get the right adjustments in!

3) We're not even allowed to set up for a technician to come out! That ability was removed from us...we now have to go through other channels- so much for cutting out the middleman.

4) They expect us to rearrange our lives for the company. For instance, anytime there's a fight/UFC event, they expect us to give up our Saturday nights. I know I for one jumped up my supervisor's ### about it, then I had to hear about it in stereo. Guess what? My days off are worth their weight in gold. I'm not going to give it up for these crack piping, asswiping, motherless lowlifes.

5) Who in their right mind expects their employees to work a regular schedule on Christmas ###ing Day?!! I've been in the workforce since 2003, and never once until this past Christmas Day did I have to work that particular day. Not only was my Christmas ruined, but I didn't get to spend some much deserved time with my family. If we called in, we would be automatically fired...even if our records and our numbers were flawless. We lost 15 people in my shift alone...and they have the nerve to say they're a family company?!

6) They also force their employees into nasty shifts without any sort of option...let me be clear. I worked the day shift for them, and then without any warning, I got thrown to nights. Not evenings...graveyard, as in 1:00am to 12:00pm. No chance to acclimate myself, no chance to try for another shift, just thrown onto graveyards. I get 5 times the workload and only 1 dollar upped in pay. Now correct me if I'm wrong, if I'm doing the work of several departments then the pay should be adjusted accordingly. Never mind that my supervisor said I had the pick of the litter for what shift I got thrown to...never mind that I was told "Graveyard is optional, never mandatory."

7) Their response to 99.99% of employee complaints? "Call centers aren't for everyone. If you don't like it, there's the door." No chance to rectify, no chance to elaborate or explain.

Let me make something perfectly clear folks: Before I worked for this band of thieves and liars, I was at an acceptable weight (220, a little pudgy but not to where I'd be considered a super heavyweight), I seldom drank, I never smoked and I wasn't on any prescriptions for depression...nor did I have suicidal thoughts.

After 1 year...
My weight ballooned to 300...
I nearly killed myself three times...
I ended up being put on two antidepressants (Paxil and Trazadone)...
I smoked 2 packs a day...
Every Friday I would drink myself into a stupor...beer, wine, liquor, whatever it took to dull the pain...

Basically, I became a wreck. And rather than Dish trying to offer compassion and support? All I get is told "You need to see a doctor if you want to keep your job." When I took a second round of leave due to depression issues, despite the fact that I had a note from my doctor, I was told the leave was never approved...so I racked up absences, they claimed a ### issue and kicked me to the curb.

Where am I going with this? Simple...

Dish Network doesn't give a damn about anybody but themselves. Trying to get them to understand this is a living, breathing nightmare.

Dish Network will ### their old customers...not giving them any incentive to stay and trying to charge them out the nose if they leave.

Dish Network will ### their new customers...they have no problem lying to them.

Dish Network will ### their employees...period. Because all we are is numbers on a grid to them. They get their 30 pieces of silver, their blood money, and we in turn get crucified.

Guess what Dish? This time, we fight back.

"If you do nothing to dissuade the wicked from their path, they will die for their guilt...but the blood will be on your hands. If you attempt to dissuade the wicked from their path, and they refuse to change, they will die for their guilt but you will be saved." Paraphrasing from Ezekiel 3:18-19.

The Iron Maverick

Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

• Tu
      8th of Sep, 2013

I worked at Dishnetwork for 5 yrs, I was an advance tech for most of that time . While I was at Dish i saw many people come and go, one time on a video chat played throughout the call center I saw management bragging that they got the employee turn over down to 140% and they were proud of that ! I was not fired so i have no bias or hurt feelings over my separation from Dish so you know I am telling the truth ! The company treats employees like expendable dogs almost everyone in Christiansburg va has worked for dish and left at one time . They fired a good friend of mine who was literally on her deathbed for missing 5 days after 10 yrs of perfect attendance this is the truth about Dish. Charlie Eargen the Ceo of Dish is either stupid or blind he has his Charlie chats and talks about how great they are but in truth his company is as evil as any place i have ever worked ! Every minute of the day is monitored by Dish 1 minute late from break = an point if you have to go to the bathroom you must use your break time they give 2 15 minute breaks per day most shifts are 10 hrs ! Bottom line horrible company I am amazed they stay in business ! I left because after 5 yrs of constant abuse i literally felt like i had no soul, no empathy, like a robot without feelings i left 8 yrs ago I quit smoking lost weight quit drinking came off meds and have been very happy best decision i ever made was leaving Dish !

• Un
      25th of Dec, 2010

hey MikeD1535 ive been a tech with this god forsaken company for 6 years and can confirm with 100% certainty that connecting a phone line to a reciever does not give the ability to monitor conversations. the truth behind the phone lines is just another way for dish to milk every customer for every dollar they can. if your reciever is connected to a phone line more people would be inclined to order a ppv in turn generating more revenue for dish. aswell as to monitor the recievers location via the phone number it dials out from, so that they know you are not sharing recievers with your neighbors or something.

and as far as the true colors of dish that IronMaverickX speeks of its literally just the tip of an ever growing iceberg, through out the entire company.

but not to defend dish in anyway, most major companies of dish's size are becoming like this. its unfortunate that corps have lost touch with what truly matters, the customer and thier customer facing employees. happy employees are good employees and it will show in cust relations. but unfortunealty dish really doesnt give a ### point blank.
    mr charley ergen the companies founder and ceo cares about one thing and one thing only HIS OWN POCKET BOOK.

27th of Aug, 2013

I know this post is a few years old, but I will tell you this, Dish Network has not changed with the mistreatment of employees. I worked for the IT Service Desk for 16 months. I worked on a shift that no one wanted and devoted my time to Dish. Working a graveyard shift 9pm to 5:30 am, we were left with no communication with management and in case of emergency were told to "suck it up." We were classified as Salary non-exempt employees but paid "Chinese Overtime" on fixed schedules, which is against the law in Colorado. We are personally attacked by management and our IT Manager II, who is supposed ex special forces, would stand over us and attempt to intimidate us while telling us "I'm not here for you, I'm here for me and I will do what I see fit to make myself look good to upper management." We had a very weak minded IT Manager I, who loved to gossip about our IT Manager II, but turn around and back him up. She stated that it was a "Cover-Your-###" method of Dish and she hoped we didn't take it personally. HOW THE HELL CAN WE NOT? I sat and watched as an employee had trouble breathing and called, left messages, texts and emailed our manager before rushing to the ER. Our IT Manager I notified me that this employee was going to make up the hours and the employee came back with a doctors note stating that she was contagious. The day this employee came to work, the IT Manager I denied receiving any information about her departure to the ER and was terminated. Later the IT Manager I came to me and stated that I was not allowed to talk to this former employee, and it was company policy? SINCE WHEN? We had many employees terminated and never notified of such a policy. Guess what, it's not a policy. It's just this employee that was terminated is a fighter and has all the evidence to file a wrongful termination, defamation of character lawsuit as well as sue for overtime wages, hostile work environment and so much else...and guess what? She's got a lot of people, who still work for ITSD that are backing her up! Including me. I recently left ITSD, but still work for Dish. My new department is not anything like the former and I think it's just certain departments that treat their employees like ###! The company, as a whole, is very full of ### and things don't change because no one working there complains. I advise every employee and ex employee to file complaints with the DOL and EEOC if it applies to your situation. Have them investigate, and it's free! There is no way for change unless Executives are notified that there has been misconduct, from management...and it also places current employees protected under whistleblower laws!

• Ba
      8th of Nov, 2012

I too am a former employee with Echopuke. I completely understand your frustration so please let me tell you about mine. I hope that many former Echopuke employees will respond to these posts. I worked there some time ago but nothing changes as they treated their employees like absolute crap as well and have for years. Charley surrounds himself with sycophants and ### kissers at every level. I’ve talked to many current and former employees over the years and every single one of them expressed that same opinion that Echopuke treats everyone the same, like ### and it was their worst work experience!

1) On my first day, a senior VP told me that I would hate that place within 6 months but it didn’t take that long.
    2) I was paid at least $5k to $10k under what I was worth but I needed the job. But I never forgot how they wouldn’t give me raise.
    3) They made everybody sign a waiver to work at 42.5 hrs per week without overtime.
    4) They held the green cards of all the illegal immigrants so they couldn’t leave or report the company of illegal work violations.
    5) I saved them over $100k in a shipping contract and asked for a raise of 10%. They just laughed at me when I asked for a raise.
    6) I had the displeasure of working about 20 ft from Charley’s office as he believes that he is the smartest guy in the room by quoting “outhouse logic”. He has a bunch of VP’s who kiss his ### like nobody else.
    7) When I had to ask the head lawyer to review and sign my major cost cutting contract, he was picking his nose and asked me what I wanted? What a major pig!
    8) I also had a VP make fun of me and belittled me every week as I had to give him a global report every Friday. I have over 25 yrs in corporate America and have never been treated this bad.
    9) A warehouse shipping mental midget took my idea and tried to make it his own.
    10) This same warehouse puke trashed me in front of other people that I was trying for a job with. This was after I left the company. I had to hire a lawyer to threaten to sue these idiots. I did have a good case at the time.
    11) Their marketing director was completely unqualified to be a director. He wasn’t qualified to be the janitor. However, this was the completed idiot that I had to report to.
    12) Echopuke only keeps the bottom feeders rather than the cream of the crop. These are the ones that rise into management.

I could go on with all kinds of stories of abuse and putrid experiences. However, why go on with nothing but bad memories. Leaving that company was the best thing I ever did as they helped me focus on a great career now. Bad Bob in Denver

19th of Jul, 2011

The reason for a phone line is Dish sells the information of what you watch to marketing...So they know where to spend there money

23rd of Nov, 2010

I would like to talk to or write to Iron MaverickX the former Dish network person. I would like your help. It would be well worth your time. [protected]@hotmail.com

24th of Dec, 2010

No thank you, It is my intention (with Proof) to sue my local dish network installer for invasion of privacy for listening into my home and on my phone.

29th of Jan, 2011

Also a former dish network employee

29th of Jan, 2011

Sorry about double post couldn't find the register button and was attempting to force it.

Anyway, also as a former dish network employee I can completely concur and add to it quite a bit.

In regards to not caring its all true. As soon as they would get the "customer service award" from acsi their prices went up for the 2nd time in a single year for the first time in 10 years.

I can take the forced crap work shift a bit further. I was forced into 7:00am-11:30am and 3:30pm to 7:30pm, 5 days a week, 6 days during football season. This would have been optimal if I maybe lived across the street and could spend my 4 hour lunch at home, but no I had a 35 mile commute every day. Yet people who DID live next door were given a 9-5 shift with weekend off. On top of this there was no split shift differential because I had wednesday and saturday off and due to company policy, if you have a "premium" day off(fri-sun) you don't get a shift differential reguardless of how painful your shift is.

On top of that I was demoted from those guys mentioned that send out techs. Why was I demoted? My handle time was too high, why was my handle time too high? Because I refused to take my supervisor's advice and "just send a tech" when I could fix it on the phone. 10 more minutes with me and you're problem is fixed 2-3 days faster and at no cost to you, rather than 29-99$ depending on if you give into their "service plan" 5.99 monthly. Mind you, it does cost any company roughly $150 to roll a truck to your house so count your blessings in that regard.

Dish network has 115% of their customers call in EVERY MONTH. due to the combination of the "just send a tech" and "get the hell off the phone" mentality. The center I was working at is in a city that is ripe will call center employment opportunities. and I have worked for some of the best for 5 years. 115% call in rate is insane and yet dish network feels it is inevitable. I sincerely disagree with todays technology allowing you to pay your bill from your mobile phone without calling anyone.

Dish runs off a cost per minute business model which from a call center veteran I can say is an atrocious way to do business, whats even worse is I have seen the form data sent to all the upper management with this information. and nothing on there has any data linking to weather or not the customer called back. In essence, if it didn't cause dishnetwork to lose their customer satisfaction awards, their top performing employee would be the one who answers the phone "oh you have a remote issue? tune to channel 101 and learn how to use your remote. Thank you and have a wonderful day"

I was at an age when I started taking my employment very seriously when I worked for them, and I tried to bring this up. I even came up with a fully automated system that calculates what I called "real handle time" it basically calculated an employees call back ratio(wether their customer called back or not) and multiplied that % by the average handle time of the enterprise and assumed that that customer spent that much time on the phone. Not with you but because of you.
    The reason I did this was the agents at my center were getting the book thown at them for being 7 seconds over their target handle time. Having a lot of pride for my work and the work of others I have worked with at multiple locations I looked into the real data. If your interested in my findings read on, if not this is the end of the post for you.

Now callbacks at dish are monitored on a 3 day, 7 day and 28 day scale. and how many customers call back within that alloted time frame. and it turned out that our center that was getting threatened to be shut down for being 7 seconds behind. had a 28 day callback ratio that beat every other centers 3 day resolution. for those who have a hard time keeping track of numbers...if you called our center you were happy with dish for that month. If your call got routed anywhere else(only speaking of state wide this is not an anti-outsourcing post) you called back within 3 days, likely because if you called in for customer service reasons, you were lied to. or if you called in for technical support the issue was far from resolved. I further worked it out to see, on average, how long the customers calling in to other centers were actually on the phone in a 3 day period. as it turns out, on average, customers spent nearly 5 minutes longer on the phone with other centers. Yet the managers at my center were running around with a cold sweat, yelling at all of us.

I had a 4 hour lunch after all, so I complied this information in a professional format, and portrayed this to management that I felt I was on good terms with. only to receive a holier than thou attitude as if I wasn't privileged enough to speak with them, despite the fact they drilled "this is an open door facility" into our brains.

• Di
      12th of Feb, 2011

I totally agree, Dish Network does treat their employees like ###. The techs receive little training and are supposed to automatically do the job on their own. Total ###ing ###. It takes time to learn a new skill. They don't see it that way though. You better learn quick or they will can you. ###!

20th of Feb, 2013

Dish network treats their employees very unfairly. I wont meantion the big 'D' but they were. I should have stayed there. and filed charges, But I couldn't take another second there!!!.. They didn't give me a W-2 form. They didn't even tell me my wage rate, or my job discription. Just get to work. I felt like a fish out of water. Thank God, I was in a financial situation to quit. I quit the same day!!! .

• Tu
      8th of Sep, 2013

Hey MikeL Dish Instead of trying to get people who are done with Dishnetworks abuse to contact you why don't you just give everyone the address of where you are ? Anyone living in virginia or the surrounding area can simply go to 400 technology drive Christiansburg Va. and tell Dishnetwork what you think ! Better yet see Mike at 9601 S Meridian Blvd
    · Englewood
    or he may be at 100 Inverness Ter E
    · Englewood
    Isn't that right Mike L Dish ?

• Bp
      13th of Apr, 2018

I worked at dish for 3.5 years and was let go due to and I quote "reducing the head count... not enough call volume and poor stats..." One the calls were back to back so that was a lie...two..the reducing the head count was an excuse because corporate office gave raises to 20 people and had to cover some where...and three I just was trained in a new department and didn't have enough call volume but I asked HR and they said it was due to my PA which I passed. Hr then told me that I was not conducive to the work environment of the call center anymore. Then they refused to give me my last check due to negative PTO hours being deducted from it or refused to let me speak to HR. No paperwork was given at the time of me being let go other than a little booklet on what being let go means...and a walk to the front desk...very poor place as all of the upper management was fired...for theft and etc etc...they care all about money and number not people... schedules were horrible... working morning one day and night the next...I was supposed to be put in an equivalent department when tech was closed down (I was a T4) which would have been OOP and a year later nothing...I was lowered to a base line dpt and them had pay cut when transferred to loyalty and then right after training was fired. Crappy way to treat employees...

• Fl
      25th of Mar, 2011

I have been a sprint customer for over 13 years now, i feel like we are married since it has been so long. I purchased out of my pocket a crappy Blackberry Tour. Shortly after about 4 months from the day i bought the phone, i started having problems... I have followed the proper procedures to get my phone fixed (i have insurance)... I have had to drive 24 miles back and forth (four times to fix the phone) and continue to have the same problem... I have worked with Tech Support... in fact i have done everything needed to get the phone fixed... well im ###ing fed up with the rude, unprofessional mother###ers from Sprint... well i called "RETENTION dept"... those mother###ers were no help either... I get a supervisor named BENJAMIN 407-475-6989 whom told me he couldnt do anything... the next day i received a refurbished phone thru the mail as i refused to spend my gas money to go to McCall Communications for the same ###... According to this incompetent supervisor "refurbished phones" are "certified".. yea certified my ###... cause i have had the phone charging all night and it still doesnt work... so i call again today and get another idiotic supervisor named Dean and he said he released me from contract on the "TOUR"...or better yet he can reset the system and i can use the upgrade.. HUH????... was he kidding? no... my answer was are u stupid, u cant resolve my problem but you want me to upgrade and give you another year????... duh mother###a and dont you see i have four phones on the account, releasing my contract on one phone does not do it... so i called the District Manager from the repair center and he is sending me another refurbished phone via the mail and i dont have to spend my gas... what a bunch of losers... 2 phones are up in June 2011, one in January 2012 and the other June 2012... I will not keep this company once December is here i will disconnect all services and be more than happy to pay $50 disconnect fee that its going to cost me as i would be 6 months out from cancelling the last phone... So i am submitting my case to divorce SPRINT for good.. you bunch of losers... OH and by the way DAN HESSEY (CEO) he is a ###ing loser and dont care about customers...

13th of Oct, 2010

Let me ask you this, does the fact that I have my phone line hooked up to the DVR box allow my local dish network installer the capability to listen through my phone to what is being said in my home????? I suspect that during the day my phone while hung up displays "line in use" Although I can not hear anything can he hear everything????

• Fi
      22nd of Apr, 2011

good post. as far as the commenter claiming dish network cant listen to you with the phone line plugged in you are flat wrong. look at the text of the 1996 telecommunications act. read your user agreements for ipods and such. read googles press release telling you that a computer is using your mic and camera to record every thing seen and heard. read the countless articles about onstar calling in and listening to conversations in their cars. the ###ing local pigs are downloading illegally all info off your cellphone and they are planning to install the same nsa system google was caught using driving around stealing all of your wireless data, in postal vehicles. http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20055431-1.html read about the law suits that were in progress when bush retroactively made it "legal" to wiretap americans phonecalls without a fisa warrant. whole floors at at&t that are nsa spy hubs with optical splitters duplicating and stealing all transmissions. it goes on and on. of course they are listening to you-who isn't?

• St
      22nd of Jun, 2018

so you are saying the long hours and the mass amounts of mental stress forced you to gain weight? I'm a big guy but even i know no one put the fork in my hand. And ive had jobs as you describe and being that busy i lost weight. Unless you're eating the whole time at your desk i dont see it. Stop trying to blame this company for every thing. Ive done sales and it sucks. And i can agree that sales managers bosses are [censored]s usually. Nothing is ever good enough. But you kinda know that going into it. And you had to work on christmas?! oh no how are you alive to even type this? Didn't your world end?? Welcome to the work force. Where you'll be told whatever you want to hear and promises are only good till hired. Im actually in the middle of the hiring process for installer with dish which is why i read this post, but honestly just sounds like a review from a spoiled teen cause he got fat and had to wait 12 hours more to open his presents on christmas. The companies records show for its self its a horrible company. topping 20 worst companies to work for 3 times that ive seen with 2.3 out of 5 on glassdoor. But no one made you eat, which you have to do to gain weight. Find a better drug of choice for stress.

• Bu
      4th of May, 2013

this is a comment im just frustrated that i wanted someone to come out to see what was wrong with why i cant watch tv and thy are sending me a new box fine but now i have to do without 3 days of tv which i will miss certain showsbut it would have been nice to get even a couple bucks tooken off my account just for trouble both reps didnt want to listen to anything i was saying but when the box gets here i may have to wait a couple more days for a tech if that doesnt work cause i dont think its the box when it works in my daughters room if it was played out it wouldnt work in there grrrrrr most like a cord or something they have a big issue sending anyone out here at all to get it fixed ive been with them for over 2 years and have watched my everything package sky rocket but yet still her so when they receiver doesnt work i will most likely be done with dish no more contract at least yay and wont sign back up either so much for have the insurance and all the extras when you get treated like dirt and talked over not once but twice

6th of May, 2014

Gmukelster,

I can see how that's frustrating and would love to help you if you could please private message me with your account number and PIN so I can have a look!

11th of May, 2014

Dsnyder1423,

I've reviewed your post and would like to assist you if you could please private message me with your account number and four-digit PIN so I can have a look! Thank you and I look forward to going over any and all options with you!