Dish Network / dish network phone rep/service

United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-888-825-2557
I contacted dish network on 3/16/09 to inquire about their packages and pricing. The rep who answered my call was possibly named stella. She was very difficult to understand and hard to hear due to all the background noise (Sounded like children laughing and playing) and I frequently had to ask her to repeat herself during our very long conversation. I very clearly told her from the beginning of the conversation that I was not ordering dish network only inquiring about prices. She told me that I would need to give her my social security number and a credit card number. I told her there was no reason for her to need a social security number or credit card as I was not ordering just inquiring about pricing. After repeatedly insisting that I would have to give her this information so she could verify if I was even eligible for dish network service she finally did give me base prices. Then I asked if I was eligible for any of the special pricing and promotions that were advertised on dish network's web site. She told that I possibly was eligible for special pricing and promotions but that I would have to give her my social security number and a credit card number for her to verify my eligibility. I again argued that I did not want to give her this information and that there was no reason for her to need it since I was only inquiring not ordering. She insisted that without my social security number and a credit card that she could not verify my eligibility for dish network service let alone tell me what special pricing and promotions were available to me. Like a fool, I finally gave her my social security number and credit card and she did tell me that I was eligible for dish network service and gave me the prices including the "return customer pricing and promotional pricing". The prices appeared to be reasonable but I told her I was not ready to order as I wanted to discuss the prices etc with my husband before I made the decision to order or not. She told me she understood but then the next thing I know she's trying to schedule the installation for the next day!!! I again told her I was not ordering and that it would probably be sometime in april before I made a decision. She said that was fine but did give me a "reservation number" that she said I would need if I did decide to order. She also had me set-up a password and gave me an 800 number [protected]) to call if I decided to order the service. I expressed concerns to her that did not like having to give her all this information just to get prices and that I was concerned that I would be billed on my credit card for services that I had not ordered. She assured me that this would not happen and that nothing would be done unless I called to actually place an order. We ended our conversation.
The next afternoon, 3/17/09, I get a phone call from dish network telling me that they had been here in the morning to do the installation and no one answered the door to which I responded that I did not order the service and had not scheduled any installation. I was told that I had ordered it and there was some kind of misunderstanding. Dish network came to my home to do an installation that I did not schedule for services that I did not order. On 3/16/09, their phone rep badgered me into giving her my social security number and credit card. Now i'm concerned that I will be billed for an installation and services that I did not order not to mention that I was stupid enough to give the phone rep my social security number and credit card. For all I know I have set my self up for identity theft!!!

A  16th of Sep, 2009 by
Dish Network has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with and has made me feel guilty for feeling prejudiced toward non-Americans because I have such a hard time understanding their customer service reps on the phone! That aside, when they dumped my local ABC network in December because of a contract dispute with Fisher Communication, that was the last straw! I switched back to cable with Comcast and got a great "dish buy-back" deal. On a side note, Dish Network sent me boxed to return the equipment in and expected me to go up on my roof to actually remove the dish to send back. Yeah right, like that's going to happen! What losers -- if you are reading this, PLEASE dump Dish Network. They are a useless company!
A  27th of Apr, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
You haven't set yourself up for identify theft. Ease your mind on that point at least. What happened is that the agent wanted the sale (they get paid by commission) and lied to you in order to increase her paycheck. It didn't matter to her that the installer would come out for nothing. It didn't matter to her that she fraudulently created an order. All that mattered to her was that she got a sale. More than likely, she's out of an overseas office with very lax rules and almost no repercussions for this type of behavior. A lot of people think that it's cruel to lump up the entire overseas phone rep service into one negative stereotype, but the fact is that cultural differences do play a large role in why the service from these places stink so badly. Free thought is limited by language barriers and their idea of "business-like" conduct is very different from how it's approached here and in other Western countries. I grew up and am a part of this culture. I'm not just saying this to be some kind of a bigot. It's more of a barter system over there with little emphasis on customer satisfaction and more of a bottom line mentality with no shame for getting one over on a consumer. In fact, that type of cut-throat wheeling and dealing is actually prized. Not saying American reps can't be just as callous but whenever I've seen this type of thing happen (I work for a satellite company), it's been with an overseas rep.
N  26th of Dec, 2010 by
Hi. This is Phillip Chang from DISH Network. I would first like to apologize for any bad experience you may have had with enquiring about our services. I can assure you that we do value your feed back and continue to strive for best in class customer service to our potential and existing customers alike. I would like to ensure that everyone's concerns are addressed, if you would like any clarification on anything mentioned about please contact me at phillip.chang@DISHNetwork.com. Thank you for your interest in DISH Network, have a great day!
A  30th of Dec, 2011 by
I just called DISH to inquire pricing and possibly schedule an installation. I was baffled when the gentleman who was helping me requested my social security number. He said, just like Directv, DISh will need to do a credit check for the services. "Credit check for cable" I said???? Are you serious??? He sure was. I tried to get off the phone with him without having to just plain hang up on him, but he kept talking and reasoning with how this is standard for all satellite cable companies and if I ever had satellite cable, I should know. He started getting pushy and rude. He kept telling me things that made me feel like I was crazy for feeling uncomfortable about giving my social security number. So, while he was talking, I googled DISH is requesting my social security number. I only had a brief moment to review what popped up, which was a lot, on Google. I told him I am okay, I will think about it and call back because I needed to do some research and find out since when did we all have to give our social security numbers for cable... He quickly responded well we can do it with the last four of social security. Long story short, I ended up giving him my last four, then he requested my credit card number to, HOLD A DOLLAR...what?!???? I'm an indiot and I got took, I gave my number and he came back on the phone with some pricing and such. But man! I can't even believe I just got took like that! I asked if he would be sure to discard my information as I didn't even know why I gave it to him and he responded, "well, yeah, of course, I mean, I can't do anything with it if you don't order anything." ARE YOU SERIOUS! ???? Who in the heck trained these people? So I said, "wow, cable people are kind of rude, what is it with cable people?" He responds, "hey, I'm trying to help YOU out." Oh my goodness. My jaw dropped. Then I found this online, and so I am writing my little spill, because it looks to me that these companies are just full of crap trying to take business rather than earn it. I don't need cable THAT bad... And, he also said, (gotta share with you all as I am amazed of the comments!) "We don't have 4 million customers for nothing." WOW! Wow! Wow is all i have to say about this, WOW!
A  12th of Apr, 2014 by
My contact with a dish rep occurred recently, about a few days ago to be exact. The woman asked for my personal info, credit card information, which i gave to her willingly in hopes of signing up for the service. Then she asked for my social security number which I made clear to her that i wasn't comfortable giving. Needless to say that her tone was somewhat condescending. I told her that I wasn't comfortable giving my social and she responded by saying "you gave me your credit card information, it's just like your social security number so you shouldn't be hesitant" I was shocked by her response. I replied by saying "well the difference is i can cancel my card anytime, not my social security number so those are two different things". She then asked for the last 4 digits of my social to see if i qualify (i mean who needs to qualify for tv service for crying out loud? She made it sound like i was applying for a credit card, which i gladly told her). Anyway, i gave her the 4 digits and she returned by saying the system didn't allow her to process the info so i would need to give her my full social security number. I was NOT about to release that information. She tried convincing me by saying all kinds of things like "your information is safe", "we have millions of customers and NO ONE has EVER refused to give us their social security number" (which i found to be an absolute lie!). I told her that i didn't feel comfortable doing so as it didn't make sense to me to give my social security number for a service. Heck i don't need to give it up for utilities which are necessities. Anyway, as we went back and forth with the conversation, i could tell that she was getting irritated with me because she wasn't getting her way. Then i told her that i'm assuming she's frustrated because this doesn't make sense to me. Her response was a big fat EVIL laugh which i found to be highly unprofessional. I mean i couldn't believe she was laughing that loud. How unprofessional. She told me that she wasn't frustrated and i said she was because i could tell it in her voice and she was coming off rude. She LOL again and i said she needed to better manage her tone because she is coming off rude. Bottom line is i didn't give her my social. She called later that evening and i ignored her call. I didn't think they were allowed to do so. Anyway, that's my experience with them as of April 2014.

DISH Network / DISH.com Logo DISH Network / DISH.com