Delta Air Lines / Not notified of unaccompanied minor fee until gate

I was not aware of the $100 EACH WAY surcharge until getting to the ticket counter (after the round trip ticket was paid in full). I wrote a complaint to Delta who's boilerplate response was that it was standard operating policy to decline waiver of this fee. Although I informed Delta at time of purchase of the minor and they took down all contact information about who would meet her at the destination airport, no mention was ever made of an additional charge upping the ticket price by over 60%. I had checked on a ticket by American who mentioned this fee and I chose Delta because there was no mention of this fee when booking the ticket. Why wouldn't they add this charge when I paid all the other charges with the ticket purchase? Nothing on the itinerary even mentioned this charge. Delta took no responsibility for their poor communication and SOPs. I will always look to alternative airlines and not fly Delta in my future travels.

Va

Comments

8th of Jul, 2008

I just had a similar experience with Delta. I called customer service and while the supervisor admitted that they don't make it clear at the time of purchase, they will not refund or waive the fee. BTW, Southwest does not charge a fee for unaccompanied minors (I flew my daughter on SW last week).

• Ze
      13th of Jul, 2008

JUST had a horrible experience with Dealta with my daughter flying alone for the first time at 13. Due to storms her flight was diverted to another airport. My SIL and BIL purchased her tickets for the visit, and had paid an extra 100 dollars (as you mentioned, for a chaperon. What a ridiculous rip off that was. No one was directly assigned to her.

Everything went crazy because the flight was diverted due to weather, causing her to land at a different airport, and sit on the plane for hours. Then they did get her to her original airport but of course her connecting flight was gone. NO ONE was with her, or checking on her the whole layover, which lasted about 3 hours. She was in a room where there was a Dealta employee, but they were not directly responsible for her, and the room was full of other unaccompanied minors, all goofing off and no one supervising.

A Delta rep finally talked to my husband (after him making my daughter demand someone talk to him from the airline.) They said that my daughter would be on a 7 pm flight, then when she was in line to board a DIFFERENT Delta rep told her that she needed to get out of the line because she was not on that flight. Panicked because everyone who had been waiting with her was boarding, she called my husband again, and he told her to approach the woman who took her out of the line and hand her the phone. The woman refused to talk to my husband, then ended up cussing at my daughter to get "your ### from behind my gate." My husband told my daughter to walk up to the woman and read him her name tag so he could call her supervisor.Amazingly, as soon as the woman heard my daughter say "Cynthia E" into the phone, she asked to speak to my husband. During this whole experience, not once did a Delta rep tell my daughter their name, or that they were even from delta, just asked her name and demanded she come with them. Is this what you pay the hundred dollars for????? After training your kid to never go with an adult they don't know, and never believe that they are a professional/employee to be trusted unless they have identification. We are writing all this to Delta, but wanted to share as my google brought me to your post.