Dell / battery replacement policy and cost

RI, United States Review updated:
I previously posted a complaint with respect to Dell's limited 1 year warranty on its battery. I took out a complete warranty for the computer, however I was told the battery that comes with the computer is only good for 1 year regardless of what warranty one takes out on the computer. Dell then told me they would sell me a new battery for $299.00. Presently, one can buy new laptops for $600- $800. After completing an internet search on the Dell battery for the item number I found the original battery for sale at the following site, Pacific Battery http://www.pacificbattery.com/index.html for $139.99. I purchased several Dell computers in the past and have to say they worked well. However, when a company charges a much higher fee for a replacement part for its own manufactured computer system than a competitor vendor, you must question the ultimate intent of Dell, is it good company policy or corporate greed that is influencing its decisions?

Dr. Albert Alba

Comments

Ma
  26th of Jul, 2007
I had ordered a Dell Inspiron 640M laptop (order number 694307649) through their website. Initially they had given me an estimated shipping duration of 10 days only, but later they showed their true colors and delayed my order by 15 days not once but twice. After a grueling time of one month Dell finally performed hara-kiri and cancelled the order saying that this product no more exists (as if I was a bloody joke for them).

They told me to order another laptop of my choice and committed me that this time the order will be shipped within 10 days. Then I ordered a substitute order (Dell Latitude order number 727276241) and to my extreme horror they put an estimated shipping date which was more than a month after. When I contacted them on this they started giving excuses that this was a system error and would get rectified soon. They assured me that in the backend my estimated ship date was much earlier and told me not to go by what is appearing in the website. They told me it was a system generated date and is displaying wrong information for some reasons. But that was yet another joking session by the Dell authorities. The system is far from being shipped till date and its nearing 2 months now since I initiated my purchase with Dell. I have registered a case with Dell via case number 168035108 but Dell does not make any efforts to give me any kind of resolution. It is quite but obvious that since Dell is a very big company it does not pay the slightest heed to small customers like me. I am really frustrated and angered by the treatment meted out to me by Dell and I wish there was someone to take action against such atrocities. I am sure there would be a lot many customers who would have gone through similar experiences with Dell. So, if you are thinking of ordering something from Dell, do go through this mail and think again.
La
  5th of Oct, 2007
Dell only gives the option of a VISTA operating system on its computers and VISTA SUCKS. Dell will not ship other systems nor fix the problems with VISTA. Microsoft can't fix the problems either! I can talk to the tech reps at the college I work at and they can tell me all the problems with this system yet the seller refuses to admit the problem, screws the customer and doesn't deal with it. Its time we spoke up and weren't monopolized by the big companies.
Fr
  28th of Nov, 2007
I ordered a Dell laptop on Nov.3,2007 with a Nov12 delivery date. By Nov 7 the Dell website showed it left production but no tracking info. I called and got a DHL number. The DHL number would not track and the story begins...So far over 7 calls and e-mails , no computer, I canceled the order after they admitted it was lost. There is always someone different at he middle eastern call center, and have been promised that my credit card would be refunded. They called again on Nov 26 to tellme that it would take 10 more days to remove the charge. How can they place a charge instantaneously, but take 20 days or more to remove it? I am 5 days away from a lawyer. This company has changed. When I see a company ignore customer service needs and quality issues, it usually means they are in serious trouble. Dont be surprised to see this giant roll it's eyes and fall. If you own any Dell Stock , send them a message ,sell it .
Ed
  12th of Jan, 2008
Dell has worst customer service, now bought PDA from Ebay, screwed up. Returned it to Dell. I didn't get the money someone else got the money becz he bought 1st. So tried to explain, i can't find the person who i bought it from 2 years ago but the cust. service told me TOO BAD YOU AIN'T GETTING SH*T. Thats your problem! So here we go, i lost $ 500 just like that, becz of those Idiots, specially these people over the seas handling this issues which they have no idea what the hell is going on. So no more DELL!!!
Er
  15th of Jan, 2008
You're blaming the wrong people. If you purchased this from eBay, then Dell is not liable for your purchase. You need to have the service tag transferred to your name (which you can do on Dell's site). However, since you cannot find the person who it first belonged to (which tells me you got scammed), you might not be able to do this. Caveat emptor.
  3rd of Jun, 2008
On February 29, 2008 I purchased a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop. I immediately experienced problems with the unit. First of all, the price of the purchase was supposed to be $894.57, but my credit card was charged $922.22. When I called the Dell Customer Service Department, I was never able to get an explanation for the price increase. My second problem was the computer would not turn on and I had to call technical support. On March11, 2008 (Inside 21 days Terms and Conditions of Sale) I spoke with Kria, who was able to resolve the problem. Kria said not call the support line again if any problems arose, and that she will give me a follow-up call in a couple of days. However she never called. I spent approximately two hours trying to resolve the above issues, when really I should not have had to deal with any of this at all.

Unfortunately, the problems with this computer did not end there. Ever since I first started using the computer, it would frequently shut down in the middle of an operation (i.e. loading a webpage). I tried to resolve the issue with the Dell Technical Support department. I spoke with Amit and Nathan for about an hour on April 3, 2008; then I spoke with Guan on April 9, 2008; on April 16, 2008 I spent 90 minutes with technical support specialist Jacky and her supervisor Mavis. None of their recommendations helped, the computer still experienced problems and I decided it would be best for me return my purchase. On May 9, 2008 I spoke with Harry, Anita and their supervisor Nevetita, who assured me I would be able to get a refund and promised to send me a return label via email. I waited several days for the label to arrive, but it never did. When I called again on May 12th, I spoke with customer service representatives Norman and Michael (Michael claimed to be in charge of the department.) Both of them pretty much told me they had no knowledge of my previous call and that I would not get a refund. One of them mentioned that the time period for the refund had expired. However, when I first presented the issue to Dell the return period was still effective. After lengthy conversations with the two of them, they put me on hold for 20 minutes at which point I was disconnected. Nobody called me back.

I have spent an inordinate amount of time dealing with all of these various issues with Dell support staff. I find this to be extremely unprofessional. I purchased a defective product from Dell company and I took the time trying to resolve the issues with Dell technical support and customer service department. Since this product still does not function properly, I feel that I am entitled to a refund. I still doesnt receive anything.
  26th of Jun, 2008
I purchased my Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop with the wireless router and wireless printer back in March/April. Immediately I had major software compatibility issues between Windows Vista and the wireless printer. In addition to that Windows Vista made the computer screen flash and does other crazy things. I called Dell Customer Service to fix the problem and was on the phone with a very, very, very hard to understand rep for about two hours!! Eventually the problem got fixed by the person taking over control of my computer through the internet.

Well after the rep "fixed" my printer problem she created a new problem for me. I kept getting error messages recommending me to shut my computer down. Also if I left the computer on and didn’t return to it for more than 45 minutes or so it would apparently "shut" itself down and when I tried to start it again it would come up recommending starting in "safe" mode because it was shut down improperly. Once again I found myself on the phone with tech support for waaaaaaay too long with another person who was seriously hard to understand again!! I got no where with her because she didn’t know what she was doing and sounded like she was reading solutions from a computer screen or something. I couldn’t stay on the phone with her after and hour or so because I had to tend to my two children under the age of 3 yrs old! I called back and finally got so aggravated again because AGAIN the Dell tech support person was so hard to understand that I demanded them to return the system completely.

They agreed but then called me back to try and convince me to keep the thing. I said only if they send me a new one and take the old one back. I was hoping I just happen to get a "lemon" computer or something. Well the new one arrived and same problems!! printer problems, self shutting down, hours on the phone wasted with tech support who are very hard to understand because they speak very broken English (they are out of India apparently). I had no time to deal with tech support at this point and needed a functioning computer for school and work so I had to pay my techie friend to come and fix it for me. Finally that did the trick and the computer worked. Even the wireless printer worked.

By then Dell Customer Service called me to check and see how my experience went with their tech support and I unloaded to him all of my on-going problems. I demanded I be credited some money off of my system due to my horrible experience and due to how much time I literally wasted on the phone with Dell tech support. If I am to keep this Dell computer it needs to be worth my while as a customer. The representative said he would get back to me after he got permission from his supervisor for the credit.

Well this rep went out sick and did not call me back after days passed by!! I left two messages on his VM (which did not say he was out sick by the way) to ask if I would indeed be receiving my credit. In the meantime my first statement arrived for payment on the system and I was NOT going to pay it until I heard back from the rep about my credit. Because if I was not going to be receiving the credit I had told him I may just return the computer for good

I then called another Dell rep to tell him I had not heard back about my credit after repeatedly leaving messages. He then got in contact with the original rep and finally the original rep called me and told me he was out sick and apologized to me. By this time my payment would have been considered late and he told me "don’t worry" just pay two months when I get my next statement. I said fine. He told me I was granted the credit that I requested.

Next thing I know and before my next statement came, I get a call from Dell Credit telling me I need to pay my "late" bill!!! What the heck!!! I tell the Dell credit person that I was told not to pay it until next month's statement. She said to avoid a "late" charge I should pay over the phone right now and that they would even waive the pay-by-phone charge for me. WOW. Aren’t they great? At this point I say fine Just to get her out of my hair and I pay by phone.

Well I receive my next statement to see a "late" charge on there. OMG I scream!!! I call Dell credit and they remove the fee after I tell them the story.

I receive my next statement and send my payment out on June 6th. It was due June 10th. Enough time to go from Pennsylvania to Illinois. Apparently they did not get it (or did not post it) until June 12th. And there is no grace period apparently. So I get ANOTHER late fee. I promptly call Dell credit to complain and demand that the late fee be removed. They then tell me that they are only allowed to remove one late fee within a 12 month period. I am furious at this point. I explain to the Dell credit rep that the first late fee removal should NOT even be relevant because that was not my fault. Still, the rep refused to remove the fee from my account. At this point I tell the rep I will be paying off my entire Dell account next month minus, of course the ridiculous "late" fee. And that I will NEVER pay that late fee because it is not justified. I explain that I have A-1 credit and have never had such problems with a company in my entire life. I pay all of my bills on time and don’t deserve to be treated this way by Dell credit.

So now here I am disgusted and appalled with the entire Dell Corporation and ALL of it's departments including; Tech Support, Customer Service and Credit. I will never, ever buy anything from Dell again and will advise all of my friends and relatives to do the same. I will post this on every "complaint" site I can to share my experience with and warn other consumers about Dell’s dysfunctional employee communication and products.
  1st of Jul, 2008
I have had the worst experience with Dell Tech Support. I have had the same problem with my Inspiron D530 since I bought it several weeks ago. I reported the error mssg to Tech Support and they attempted to correct the problem three times. Now they keep promising to call and help me over the phone. They schedule the call and lo and behold no call. I have bought 5 Dells in the past and I can guarantee I will NEVER buy another one. Now I have a $1000 paper weight that I cannot view pics of my children and grandchildren on. Thanks Dell, for missed appointments, missing work, staying up late, and loads of frustration.
Ju
  7th of Jul, 2008
First of all, I have had some very good tech experiences with Dell in the past. Since they moved tech support to India, it has all gone down hill. The representatives are reading from a screen and I have had them tell me to do things that I know are completely wrong.
One of the biggest problems is that you can't understand them. However, this is easy to solve. Tell them you want to talk to someone who speaks English and they will transfer you to support here in the United States. Many of these folks know what they are doing.
Hope this helps.
Te
  19th of Jul, 2008
I'll NEVER buy DELL...EVER !!!

I would not take a DELL computer if someone offered to GIVE it to me !!!
All DELL knows how to say is 'We Can't.'

Shipment was NOT on time, for starters. 2 days promised, 6 days delivered. Conversion deadline was missed because of it, with NO compensation on DELL's part. "We CAN'T" they said. They tried to point the finger at the company they hired to ship/represent them-DHL. Then, the wrong operating system was installed on the machine, and there were no correct operating system CDs with the product.

When asked to simply send the proper CDs, they again replied: "We CAN'T". After over 5 hours of pleading on 3 separate calls, I gave up. On each call an outsourced person (sounded like from India on all of them) repeatedly did NOT want to provide the needed customer service warranted by THEIR OWN ERROR. There was NO INTEREST or concern in correcting their problem.

They repeatedly told me to send the machine back. I wanted to keep it...I just wanted my software as promised and as paid for.

When I asked to speak to a manager at least 10 times in succession on 1 call alone, it was denied very smoothly by first agreeing and then putting me on HOLD for over 5 minutes, after which I hung up and retried. Seriously…they have a LOT of managerial complaints if it takes that long for escalation in custome service. Then, we played the same HOLD game/results for management the next 2 times, with longer waits. (This is how they keep from getting bad ratings on their call log, as it probably shows no mgmt involvement, only that the customer hung up.)

On one call, I asked that they read me the last call entry. It stated that the customer wanted a different operating system than what was shipped and the customer was unwilling to pay for it. CLEARLY an out and out LIE. They either cannot document in English properly, or they do this so as NOT to receive bad marks for poor customer service. 2 of the reps said the CDs would be sent. NO RECORD of this in the calls. Never got CD's 'promised'.

Yes, the DELL machine was returned. It's like they don't want to sell computers. Strange company.

I have NEVER experienced so much useless "We CAN'T" drivel from ANY customer support group for anything. Over 5 hours total!!! PITIFUL. Remember, you're paying for a years 'service' included in the price, but you WON'T get any service, just 3d world runaround and empty promises.

You get NOTHING from DELL. Zero service and less satisfaction.

BE SMART... DON'T buy a DELL if you EVER feel you will need to talk to a knowlegeable, honest, American based support rep that has been empowered to make true Customer Service decisions.

I'll be correcting my mistake. I'll NEVER buy DELL...EVER !!!
  21st of Jul, 2008
Dell has been bombarding me with e-mails and I have tried at least seven times to have them stopped. Dell offers an elaborate process by which one's address may be removed from the list. The process requires all sorts of personal information and detail, after which your e-mail address is STILL NEVER removed. This is continuous harrassment and annoyance and DELL DOESN'T CARE ONE BIT. I have written e-mails to several Dell departmens and they never respond. I wouldn't buy a Dell product on a bet. BE CAREFUL TO EVER GIVE THEM YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS.
  5th of Aug, 2008
On April 25th 2008 I placed an order with Dell at Dell.com. The order was process and excepted and receipt issued, I received confirmation emails for the order soon afterwards. On May 2nd 2008 I tried to access my account to check on the order status and to schedule a payment to my account only to find that the account had been blocked and my order canceled. I called the toll free # that was given me on the website, it was the verification office, I answered all the Questions they asked correctly and was told that they could not verify the account. When I asked why they wouldn't tell me I asked to talk to a supervisor who then asked me all the same questions and said that they would transfer me to sales so I could reorder the products. After talking to the sales person I found that they were not going to give me the price of the original order but were going to raise the price. I told them I would not except that and was transferred then to another department to reorder and get the discounts I had received with the original order. After going through the order process twice I was told I needed to talk to Financial services before the order was completed. Financial service's tells me that the account has a block on it and that I was going to have to speak to the verification office to verify the account. After telling them that I had been through all that they transfer me to somewhere in Texas where the agent there tells me that he can't help me because there is a block on the account.

All this took 2 �½ to 3 hours and nobody can tell me anything ... they can't even tell me what I need to do to verify the account. I am now unable to make a payment on line, order or review my account information at all and nobody can tell me why. Nothing on my account has changed since September of 2007. At this time they are going to make money off of me one way or the other, I can't call in and do a check over the phone without paying for the service, if I mail my payment in it will be late and I will be charged a late fee, If I order I loose the sale price on the items I ordered and will have to pay about $200 more. My account has been in good standing since I opened it, I have never missed or had a late payment and now I have no choice but to pay an extra fee or have a late payment and no one can tell me why.
  25th of Aug, 2008
Go to www.dell.com/optout and remove yourself from the mailing list, problem solved.
St
  9th of Sep, 2008
I am going through the same problem. I ordered a laptop on 8/4, needing it before the Labor Day weekend. I had an estimated ship date of 8/21. On 8/19 I found out that the laptop was not going into production and that it was on hold pending verification. I asked what I needed to do to be verified. I was not given any help, beyond "until you receive a verification letter we can not help you." The letter was supposedly sent out on 8/19, but I had ordered the PC and been approved for financing via DFS on 8/4. The line of credit was also attached to my credit report around that time (before I could be verified).

I spent weeks trying to get someone outside the regular help numbers and finally reached someone via email. Now, almost 3 weeks later, I still have not received the first letter, and now I am waiting on a "second" letter to be verified.

My advice to anyone, do not use DFS and do not buy Dell.
Da
  29th of Sep, 2008
July 22 2008 signed up for extended warrenty (3 years) on home computer by Dell and was told that contract would be sent in the mail. Sept. 26 2008 called and was told by two tech. support people that there would be paper contract sent. Transfered to third person and he stated that they didnot send out contracts and that I could view contract via e-mail. I stated that I wanted paper contract in my hands because anything could happen and if for saome reason it was lost I had no proof of contract except deduct from check file due to payment being made with debit card. This person was hard enough to understand since he sounded as if he was of Indian desent and then became rude when I asked for his supervisor or complaint phone number. He stated that he could give me neither because it was against company rules. I then asked for his name again stating that when I found the number I wanted to report his attude he stated he would not give his name again. He stated that this was a global company and that there were no phone numbers that would promise aU.S. number. I know I will never purchase a Dell product again and would tell others to run as fast as they can away from this company. All told I have wasted approx. 4hours on this problem and many many more hours on different problems with this company. A very dissatisfied consumer.
Ek
  30th of Sep, 2008
My 3 year international maintenance contract expires in Apr 2009. In Apr 2008, my notebook CPU refuses to work. I had to call Australia support number since I am in that country. After many calls they finally attempt to trouble shoot over the telephone and refuses to get me to contact local technicians. Until today, Sep 2008, I have no more calls or update from Dell and I have bought a new better Acer notebook.
Dr
  8th of Oct, 2008
I purchased a laptop from Dell on 1/8/07. I also purchased a warranty against hardware failure until 1/8/11. My battery's useful life indicator shows the battery is losing its charging ability. When I contacted Dell and asked if I could get a replacement battery since the system is relatively new they informed me battery replacement is not covered under the warranty. I then asked if they could sell ne a new battery at a discount since I did purchase the extended warranty and they informed me they would not provide me with any discount. I have purchased many Dell products before and have stood by their company for customer support; however, I will reconsider purchasing a Dell computer in the future based on the above incident. The informed me the cost for a battery replacement would be $299.00. Dell only provides a 1 year warranty for its battery
Gl
  9th of Oct, 2008
I have spent a minimum 7 hours trying to get a Dell support tech to understand my dvd drive needs to be replaced. They have uninstalled many of my software packages - including my old Canon camera software that I no longer have the cd for and Canon doesn't support either... thanks Dell... Anyway, what do they pay those guys? Do they even make a $1 an hour? You would think if you spent 7 hours on the internet and phone with a customer it would be cheaper to just replace the dvd drive... (they're on newegg.com for $29.99). What are they paying these guys that makes this such a big deal? Dell Support is the most inefficient organization I've ever dealt with. They even tried to sell me a deal where I could talk to an American - I told them I already paid for their extended support, why would I pay more? This isn't a racial issue or anything, I don't care what nationality they guy is, I just need a new dvd drive!!!
  21st of Oct, 2008
This all started two days ago when my computer AC adapter crapped out. I called dell to order another on since I tried to order online and was told they were having technical difficulties getting orders to go through electronically. I talked to a woman named Rona or something like that, I couldn't understand her, and she sure as heck didn't know any english which left spanish, I don't speak spanish, however I speak six other languages. I could not find one we both knew.I told her three time I was purchasing an AC adapter for my personal laptop. Another word I don't think she knew, laptop. I hung up with her, this was on tuesday mind you. On wednesday I received my adapter only to find out it is the wrong one. One must wonder about the intelligence of a business when someone gets an adapter for a camera and a laptop computer AC adapter mixed up. So last night 10-8-08 I call dell, this time I talk to Mae, another idiot who doesn't speak english for crap, but she at least knew what a laptop is. I tell her to rush deliver it, well they will rush deliver it but they won't ship it until the 14th of october.Of course it is their mistake, I am a student, I was working on a paper when my AC adapter quit on me. I use my computer for everything, I can't function without my computer. So I am telling the sales rep, Mae about the dilemma here all she says I understand I am a student. I don't think she does, so I am here now explaining to my professors and the entire campus that I am going to fail my test that is due tomorrow all because dell can't hire English speaking emplyees in the American departments of the company. They made a mistake, a 27, 000 dollar mistake, as I am a 4.0 student, my scholarship will not allow anything less. So therefore this test could cost me a 27, 000 dollar scholarship all because of dell. And what Mae have to say about this, "I'm sorry, I understand I am a student too, but it will ship out on the 14th." I am planning on getting a new computer I am planning on spending an ungodly amount on this new computer, guess what company it will not be with now.
  28th of Oct, 2008
I ordered my Dell Inspiron 1525 notebook on the 1st of September, with the expected estimated arrival date of September 23. Although I wasn�¢??t thrilled with waiting a couple days for the computer to arrive, I agreed, under the impression that it would be delivered within that reasonable time frame. I ordered the laptop for school and work, in addition to moving at the end of November, so this was a time sensitive order. I was notified the 21st of September (the day the laptop was supposed to ship) that the laptop�¢??s shipment date would be postponed to the 21st of October, an entire month. I called Dell customer service and after explaining that I needed the laptop as soon as possible, was told that in efforts to make me happy they would be willing to give me a $25 gift certificate. I was told that the delay was caused by Hurricane Ike and some parts wouldn�¢??t be available until a later time. Upon the 21st of October I was called and told that my laptop would be postponed yet again, for another month and would maybe ship to me on the 21st of November. Of course I will be in the process of moving, if not already moved, by that time. I called Dell, inquiring as to why it was postponed again. I was told that there were unforeseen circumstances. When I pressed as to why exactly, at this time Dell customer service told me they would transfer me, because they could only tell me was that it would be shipped November 21st. I was then hung up on. I called back, asking to speak to a supervisor and told that there was not one available. I asked to be placed on hold until one was. They refused and demanded I call back. I asked if they could call me back when the manager was available, Dell told me no. I told Dell I didn�¢??t mind waiting for a supervisor or a manager. I was told it would take 45 minutes for someone to be available, I told them I didn�¢??t mind. After convincing them to put me on hold, someone was available to speak with me within 5 minutes. The supervisor notified me that the color I had chosen for the laptop (Blossom) was unavailable. I asked why then, was I able to order it. She didn�¢??t have an answer for me. I asked why I wasn�¢??t told that the first time they postponed my order; she didn�¢??t have an answer for me. I requested a discount (because I spent $25 on the blossom design, that now I wouldn�¢??t have) she denied that. I asked for expedited shipping, and was denied. I asked to change the address for my shipment, and was denied. She then promptly tried to transfer me to someone else. I was on hold for twenty minutes before I hung up and called back. I spoke to a man who apparently heard I was calling for information and although I asked to speak directly to a manager, he refused and hung up on me, stating that it was �¢??his right�¢?? to hang up on me if he wanted to. I called back, now highly agitated and spoke to a person who refused any discounts, refused to change my address information and strongly suggested that I cancel my order. Let me make myself clear, Dell has already taken my money, the laptop is paid for. The shipment date would be more than 60 days from the time that I ordered the laptop. The $25 gift certificate was only available online and only available on non-discounted prices, and I had to pay shipping and taxes. Dell, in the end, got more money out of me. I only agreed not to cancel the order and accept the gift certificate as long as the laptop was delivered in October. This was not the case. If Blossom pattern was not available, I should have been notified. I should have been waiting for information and given updates at the last minute. I should not be hung up on. I should not have been given attitude for a mistake that Dell committed. Its rude, inconsiderate and a mark on the company. I only want what I paid for. I will not be suggesting Dell to any friends or family members. I am highly disgusted.

Dell Logo Dell