Dell Canada / poor customer service & technical support

Ontario, Canada Review updated:
It is surprising & reassuring to know the number of customers who have gone through Dell Hell! I am one of these disgruntled customers. My Dell computer system (i.e., desktop (Dimension E520), monitor & peripherals) all came in a package deal with my internet service provider, Bell Sympatico. Several months back, I contacted their technical support to ask for assistance on how to format my computer. Their normal procedure was to ask for your name, address, telephone number and the service tag number of my PC. Lo & behold, when I gave them my information, the computer, was not registered in my name, therefore they could not provide me technical support. They then transferred me to customer service. When I discussed the issue at hand, I requested that the computer system service tag number be registered under my name. I provided them the necessary information and they told me that they would proceed with the registration of the computer service tag under my name which would take from a couple of weeks to over a month.

Today, December 15, 2008, I once again contacted technical support for assistance on a monitor issue. Once again, they followed the same old procedure about my personal information and the service tag number. Guess what? The service tag number was still not registered under my name. To top it all, my 1-year warranty had expired, therefore, I had to pay C$50+ in order to avail of the technical support. Then, they again transferred me to customer service. They told me the same thing plus even mentioned that I should look it up in the Dell website if I wanted to know about the service terms & conditions. From the time that technical support mentioned that they could not provide me the service I asked for up to the time I was transferred to customer service, I was giving them a piece of my mind.

Having said all of the above, it is wishful thinking that this would move others to patronize other better computer brands such as Hewlett Packard, Acer or iMac. Better yet, a nice suggestion would be to do your homework & research (e.g., on the internet, from other users, etc.) on what brands have good reviews, customer service, customer support, etc. Perhaps, even assembling your own PC will be appropriate if you have the time, skill, knowledge & resources. Hopefully, this account will spare others from going through the Dell Hell ordeal!

Best regards & have a truly great day ahead of you!
Ka

Comments

Bj
  2nd of Feb, 2009
How I wish I'd read the posted comments before obtaining a Dell product. In my experience, he poor agents in India or elsewhere assured me that the problem would be addressed, but there the service ends. My laptop was held in a Toronto tech co. for 10 days. It was returned unrepaired, although I did receive almost daily calls soliciting an extended warranty. Despite the product being under warranty, the "hidden" crack on the LCD was not covered. It was working before boarding a plane, handled carefully enroute and magically was not fully operational afterwards. The e-mails, phone calls, lack of communication between departments, staff...I've a voice mails, e-mails from Dell repesentatives, but responses in either form were not returned. Suggestion:buy another brand!
Ha
  3rd of Dec, 2009
After two weeks of running around trying to get some answers from Dell concerning the status of my order today after waiting over 15 minites on hold I was told order is backorder and won't be shipped for 6 weeks. The good news about this is that I got to cancell my order and will not have to deal with this company that have no clue how to treat their customers.
St
  3rd of Dec, 2009
Yeah, I totally agree to what all of you have been saying regarding Dell Canada's poor customer service and technical support. I solidly recommend that everyone avoid this company like the plague and take their business elsewhere!

I placed my order over a month ago and it still hasn't arrived. They never responded at all to two separate emails that I sent. And when I phoned last week, they couldn't tell me at all when the item was actually going to ship. This company has no idea at all how to properly treat customers, and they have gone steadily downhill over the past year. Well, the good news is that today I finally cancelled my order. Never again Dell, never again. You have lost my business for good.
Ad
  7th of Jan, 2011
Yes, I agree, their costumer service stinks! Even the paid services are badly rendered. Before you start on the phone, they say that at the end they will send you a servey formula and were asking me to gine them a "good word". But if the communication turns sour they never send you the servey formula. Since their remote customer services have gone to Tunisia, it's hell. It was better from the Philippines.
2011-01-07
I agree 100%. Just today, I called them in Tunisia for a simple problem, and nobody could fix it, even after taking charge of my PC.

Dell Logo Dell