Crate And Barrel / Beware of returning furniture if you have pets

1 Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I bought two blue Margot chairs but decided to exchange one of them for a different kind. I was told - no problem. I was told to cover the chair I wanted to return so I did and even put it in a spare room to make sure that it is in perfect condition. The new chair arrived and the Margot chair was picked up. Next day I went to the store for refund and I was told that there were scratches and animal hair on the returned chair and that will cost me 25% which is $300 Canadian dollars. After confronting the store I was told that scratches can be fixed but that I have animals at home and they cannot resale furniture at full price that were exposed to animal hair. Why was I not told that before? The store return policy does not say anything about that. Firstly, the chair was in the perfect conditions and had no animal hair on it or scratches. The movers saw the chair after asking me to sing the inspection form so they could not possibly be aware of any hair or scratches. The moral of the story - when your furniture are pick up or delivered TAKE PICTURES, document everything, make sure that you cannot be blamed for any "damages" later on by the warehouse. Keep a copy of Return Inspection Form and make sure that a box "no damage" is checked off. And if you have animals at home - hide them from the delivery servicemen or discuss the potential returns beforehand. I feel badly scammed.

Ka