Countrywide Mortgage / Poor customer service

1 7105 Corporate DrivePlano, UT, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-767-4142

I financed my home with an ARM with the promise Countrywide would give me a better percentage rate when my 3-year period was up. When the time came, by interest rate went up to more than 9%, resulting in a more than $500 a month increase in my mortgage payment effective Feb 2008. In January of 2008, when I realized I could not handle the payment, I filed paperwork with Countrywide's Home Retention team for a home loan modification. After finally being contacted by my counselor and filling out the loan information, I again called several weeks later to find out the loan had been approved. However, she did not know this, and it became immediately apparent Countrywide's internal communication methods were and are very poor. She had told me when my application was pending not to make any payments until my loan modification papers were received and, at that time, I should make my new payment. I finally received the papers, signed, and returned them with a check covering late escrow fees and some processing fees to the tune of over $1400. I was also assured my account would be returned to current standing when the loan modification was finalized. However, I continued to receive phone calls and letters telling me I was delinquent, and even though I have made my first new payment under the loan modification terms, I am still receiving threatening and harassing calls and certified letters. When I call to complain to customer service and explain the process I started many months ago to avoid just this situation, I am told just to tell the callers, for the umpteenth time, what is going on and explain to them my situation. I am told the letters and calls I have been receiving are automated and cannot be stopped. This is baloney! Countrywide's internal communication methods are extremely poor. Also, since receiving my modification package, I have tried many times to speak with my counselor who is always unavailable. She does not return messages left, and her supervisor has also been left messages in this regard. The customer service representatives also have left messages asking the Home Retention Office to update my account, and this still has not been done. I just received another call from a debt collector asking what I intended to do about my overdue account, and I "lost it" for the first time. I am in a customer service field for the US Government, and this is no way to treat your customers, especially those who anticipate they will have a problem, contact the company, do all they are asked to do, and then are still harassed with calls and threatening letters. I never had a late payment on either my first or second mortgage prior to this time, and I will never again work with Countrywide. I will also make sure none of my friends or family do either. This is very sad.

La

Comments

• Wi
      4th of Oct, 2007
    Countrywide Mortgage - Bogus advertising

I have emailed Countrywide three times on this issue and the only after I heard that they were an issue in the news for their poor business practice. I refinanced my house with them based on a mail_in that stated that I would be able to qualify for a $250K with a payment in the $700 range. I applied and they gave me an interest rate and payment that was not what I was expecting. I brought the subject of the mailed offer and they told me that that was old and didn't apply anymore.

What could I do... I needed to refi for a cash out for a business investment.

While we were waiting for the paperwork to be processed, I got the same mailed offer as earlier. I told them about it and they said, "sorry."

Now that I have heard about their over aggressive practices with getting people to into their grasp, I complained and I'm complaining now, to you, to see if there is anything I can do about this. I only refi'd for $145K with a payment that is around $970. Over a thousand with other fees. Can you help me with this or direct me to a consumer advocate to address this with Countrywide. I am sincere and I did email them three times with no answer. I even filled out their survey with negative responses without a reply.

• Re
      8th of Jul, 2008

Contrary to what some people have said on here, I am not trying to be one of those people I mentioned above. My company is a nationwide company that provides services for people that are at the end of their rope. One of the helpful things that we provide is letting you know, before payment for service, if we can assist you and if we can not. If we can not, we tell you why not and what can be done to allow our company to assist you. Most companies won't do that, but we will also give you the reasons why exactly so that, if you should choose a different service, they will not be able to scam you. Now that's a way of saving money too.

• Ye
      18th of Jul, 2008

Well, the mortgage field is full of nonsense people not to mention collections.

• Da
      23rd of Nov, 2008

I have never seen the breadth of incompetence in a mortgage company as I have seen with Countrywide. I have a convention loan. My Mortgage was "slammed" sold by the original bank to Countrywide right after the closing.
    We have been on time with all payments.
    Countrywide had my many "official" documents with my address listed IN THE WRONG CITY. The title has the correct address, closing documents had an address in an adjacent city (not far away). At the closing as you probably know there are hundreds on documents with different addresses (IE of the Title Company) - we assumed that the Title Company and the mortgage company had their act together. Wrong. The original problem was not countrywide, but when they bought the loan they could have "should have" review documents o note the discrepancy. That is an area of their expertise.
    When Flood insurance was up for renewal the notice was sent to the non existing address, and the mail came back not delivered. Countrywide bought Flood Insurance (at exorbitant price - TWICE what it cost me a couple of months later, and applies charges to my escrow. They sent this to my home address. Once I was notified I promptly reinstated my flood insurance with the original company (Liberty Mutual) who had also sent me notices to the wrong address and had the mail returned.
    I don’t feel like it is fair for me to pay $650 dollars for three months flood “coverage” for an address in another city. God forbid we would have actually had a flood during that time. I don’t believe I would have had coverage. Had that occurred, and the insurance company was asked to shell out $200, 000 in coverage, they may have had a problem with the fact that the address was in a different town.
    Countrywide has repeatedly said they were going to get his resolved – but they have not even notified me that the address information has been requested. Finally, last month I called the Title Company (who really screwed up originally) and told them to get things straight. They at least admitted the mistake and apologized. They handled it quickly and let me know.

Countrywide want something ( my interest payments) for nothing (total lack of service)

• Fe
      16th of Jan, 2009
    Countrywide Mortgage - Ripoff isn't half the word!
    Topeka
    Kansas
    Phone: 785-266-8668
    WDaBomb24@aol.com

For years we have fought to keep our Home 22 in fact... Not just Countrywide but 2 other companies have tried and tried to take our home... from sending back our payments saying they were never recieved... then tryed to forclose!! Now they sold our so called 2nd mortgage and now say we are current on first and forclosure is pending on the second!!! WHAT? Our home is valued at 77, 000 and the amount claimed is 16, 000!! wow what a winfall for them I hate this company and any of them that could care less if you live in a box... just wheather they have that big bonus for a new toy!!
    WILL SOMEONE START MAKING THEM PAY all of us that have been financially and emotionally destroyed...

• Az
      15th of Apr, 2009

As much as I hate Countrywide, I just can't seem to get away from them either. Even if I try to go through another lender, Countrywide end up buying them out and I am stuck no matter what.
    I also experienced the poor level of customer service in the loan workout department. I am in the military and under Serviceman Civil Relief Act my mortgage interest rate can be reduced to 6%. Took Countrywide forever to respond to me when I first send the request in. After that, all of a sudden I have to deal with the loan workout department whenever I have an issue. My rep never calls me back if I leave a message. When I do get to speak to someone, I am treated like second class citizen. One rep basically told my wife when she called that it's our own fault that we are in the loan work out situation and if we want better service we should request to be taken out of the SCRA program and pay the higher interest rate. (We have never been late on payment, but I guess countrywide groups all special loans under one department) So it's my fault that I am serving the country during the time of war and have been offer a benefit that I have earned through my active duty service according to Countrywide...go figure!
    Anyways, we now have a second loan that countrywide services *not by choice* and we are going through a loan modification. We are working with an attorney backed firm this time though and I think that's important to take note. A lot of companies out there claiming they can modify loans but if they are not lawyers they pretty much can't do much. (They can collect your money and disappear that's what they can do)
    If you are being contacted by debt collectors that's even more important because according to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, ONLY attorneys can stop collection calls. My agent at www.fixanydebt.com also had her loan through Countrywide so she knew exactly what I was going through. I wish I can say this is the last time I'll deal with countrywide, but I know unless I pay for my next house with cash, that's going to be very unlikely.

• Ra
      15th of Apr, 2009

Countrywide's TV commercials all say "Nobody can do what Countrywide can. Nobody!" Well it turns out that for once they are telling the truth, because from everything I've heard and seen, even Countrywide itself cannot deliver a fair and honest mortgage package that won't cost unsuspecting consumers more once their intro period is up.