Costa Coffee / discrimination against a person with a disability

Wanted a coffee at the Costa Coffee shop. As I am currently on sick leave I try and treat myself to a coffee once a week and I had been using this particular shop for around 5 months, as the Lakeside shopping centres are usually to full for me to get into as a single person with a disability. There are only a few safe seats for my spinal condition and that I am not knocked about with people coming past.

On Friday last week (1st Apr 15) I went into the store for my usual Costa coffee around lunchtime. As I am walking disabled (with having had 11 spinal operations and procedures) and having nerve damage to my right thigh, I not only limp, but my thigh can give way and I also use walking sticks when needed. When I place my order I always advise the person on the till that I don't need the saucer (too unsteady to hold in my hands) and I just usually get a spoon and then my coffee.

However on Fri I was told by the till person that "TI WAS COMPANY POLICY FOR ME TO HAVE A SAUCER, DUE TO SPILLS". I told her that I didn't want one and she said I "HAD TO". I told her that I was walking disabled and she then insulted me further by telling me "I will take the coffee for you".

At that point I asked to speak to the manager and explained that I was a regular customer and due to my disability I can't USE a saucer and he told her that was OK if the customer requests. I also informed her that many people like myself with disability or disabled are fearlessly independent to try and maintain a normal life as possible.

Then the guy making the coffee's jumped into the conversation making light of it and trying to joke about it, with comments like "It's all good". Well actually no it wasn't all good, to be humiliated like that, to have 3 Costa coffee staff members ganging up on my including the manager.

Felt completely intimidated, depressed and upset.

Utterly disgusting service, no real apology from manager.

I felt like I was the person in the wrong, when this person had no training on dealing with people with disabilities. I should have informed her 1st. REALLY.

Don't think I will be going to a Costa for a long time

Disgusted, disappointed and thoroughly upset

Melanie

Comments

•   May 16, 2016

What was wrong with her offering to take the coffee for you? If you can shake and spill the coffee with a saucer, you can shake and spill it without.