Continental Finance Master Card / Fraud & cheating!

I ordered Continental Master Card on line on December 8,2006 and received the card shortly thereafter. I received a notice of charges and payment due of $50.00 before I activated the card. There were $247.00 in set up and other service charges on the card leaving $53.00 available credit.

I made a purchase of $47.08 at office depot on 12/30/06 and no other charges. I called the Continental Finance on 01/03/07 to make a payment of $50.00 via check card. I spoke with someone named Rose Spears who advised me that I could not make a payment as I had already made an online payment for the month. I informed her that I had not done that and she still refused to take a payment.

On 01/05/07 i went on line to check my account and found the following fees added to my account:
$30.00 returned payment fee
$30.00 overlimit fee
$30.00 late fee

These fees are not possible as I had tried to make a payment 2 days prior. Also with the total set up fees $247.00 and the purchase charge $47.08 totals $294.08 on a $300.00 limit card. This is a rip off and is the reason I am reporting this company to you and to the Attorney General of California. Beware of Continental Finance and any other companies that offer a risk Master Card with high set up costs, there are greater costs than you know.

A  27th of Jan, 2007 by
I'm having the same issues with them. Their payments do not apply fast enough when paid online (it takes at least two weeks to post to your account) and charge you over limit fees during that pending time. I'm extremely upset that I can't get a hold of them via e-mail, as when I do call, their systems are down.
A  29th of Mar, 2007 by
I completely agree with both statements. Furthermore, their charges alone will put you overlimit, then they charge you an overlimit fee. After making 4 payments of $50 each, I stopped because the account continued to go over limit because of their fees. I spent 200 dollars in payments and never was able to use the card after the first time charge of $48. Some one needs to stop them.
A  30th of Apr, 2007 by
I just became a customer and the last 6 days have been harrowing at best. So I am being proactive by letting the company know up front that I will not hesitate to bring actions against them in the event that do the same to me. If we all file complaints with our State Attorney General's Dept of Consumer Protection as well as file complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and others, we can bring the pressure of the government down to bear upon them.

The bottom line is that any Continental Finance customer who is experiencing what these poor folks are experiencing should file a complaint. This way we can establish that Continental Finance engages in unfair business practices and we all could become a part of a class action suit which puts money in OUR pockets for a change. So, if they have screwed you over, post a detail of it at this site and send complaints to the following:

Continental Finance Company, LLC

Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.,
Washington, D.C. 20580
N  1st of May, 2007 by
I have to say that after one day of sending off letters to Continental Finance, I was delighted to receive a call from one of their principals this morning. Mama always said there are two sides to every story and there is the truth and this is another classic case.

First of all, the reason my account showed a negative balance is due to the fact that Walgreen's had put a hold on my credit card account for an amount double the purchase price. Suffice it to say that this is something that Walgreen's has been notorious for and I remember having a problem with them one Christmas where their terminal debited my checking account for $100 more than my purchase and it took an act of Congress to get their district office to return my money.

Anyway back to Continental Finance. I have been assured that they are working on the communications problems with customer service. They are also overwhelmed by the amount of response they have had to their marketing strategy. Now, for the record, I am not a paid employee, I'm a customer who got himself into a mess credit-wise and having use of Continental Finance's services is part of my overall plan to rebuild my credit. They have satisfactorily remedied my situation and I am hoping that henceforth we'll have a great fiduciary and business relationship. I will keep this board informed as I go along. But I can say without any doubt that this first round goes to Continental. They delivered and I am happy.
A  5th of May, 2007 by
I have the same Continental Finance Master Card for months now have never had a problem with them i would recommend to others have other cards but not as good.
A  2nd of Sep, 2007 by
This is a shame! What a deplorable way to treat people who are trying to fix their credit.

After years of bad decisions (which I take full responsibility for), I decided to fix my finances once and for all. I received this card along with Capitol One. Capitol One is fair and deals with me like any ordinary customer. I pay my bills on time and happily. My minimum is under 30 dollars.

On the other hand, no matter what I pay Continental they still add charges to my account. I have not used this card in a month but there were 30 dollars of charges because they failed to credit my account fast enough. I don't know what to do; I think I may just ignore them and pay my Capitol One and student loans.

How can we get together to stop this nonsense? I am frustrated and disgusted.
A  5th of Sep, 2007 by
After years of being declined for credit, I finally came across this card. I didn't like that they had all these set-up fees, but I decided if I wanted to re-establish my credit, this was a good start. Well, I get the card in the mail, and call to activate. They told me I have a $300 limit, but all these charges were taken out of my available credit. I had maybe $50.oo available after that. So, I used the card a few times, and last week I paid what it told me I owed, which was $238.09. I figured that would bring my limit back up closer to $300. Well, that's not the case. I go online to check, and it's telling me that I have a negative available credit of $193.00. What the hell is that? Of course, I tried talking to a live person, but can't get a holed of anyone. They say to speak to an operator dial 9, and then this message comes up to call this other number. I call this number and there is no way of getting to a live person. I'm getting screwed by this company and I want nothing to do with this credit company. I want my money back! If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it. If you have any information, you can email me at JDHalloweenie@gmail.com.

Thank you.
A  5th of Sep, 2007 by
I just called the BBB to get a phone number to speak to a live person. The number is 302-456-1930. The lady I spoke to was very helpful. Hint: do not make a payment online using your checking account because it takes like 2 weeks for it to free up your available credit. Make payments on the phone using a debit card, it's posted within 24hours.
A  6th of Sep, 2007 by
I agree also, I can not get the card activated or any one the line always sending you to another phone number
A  10th of Sep, 2007 by
They have the worst customer service agents in the history of customer service. They are rude. Since I had this card, I have always paid on time, if not early, never late. They call days before the account is due, and then threaten to put down "refusal to pay" if you don't pay early. The charges are ridiculous, basically the cards benefits are a joke. I will pay the card off completely then cancel it, hoping to get a better offer with someone else. I will definitely call the numbers given to complain.
A  10th of Sep, 2007 by
I have been trying to get in contact with these people for the past 2 weeks......finally after coming to this web site I found the number to speak with a live person. I cancalled the card and I wanted a confirmation saying that it was cancelled, but she didn't give me one....I told her that I was trying to rebuild my credit and that I didn't need any mistakes happening. I am praying that she did cancel the card. I did not activate it so she said that it should be cancelled. I am burning this card as soon as I finish this post. DO NOT GET THIS CARD. It is a rip off. I did get a card from TRIBUTE. It is a good deal especially if your credit is bad and the set up charges are not bad.
A  11th of Sep, 2007 by
I have to say that starting off I had problems, but the folks at the 302-456-1930 call center where awesome and did exactly what they said they were going to do. If you are like me and have credit problems, give them a try. The initial charges where well worth it. Besides I deserved them.... we didn't get bad credit because we made all our payments now did we.
N  12th of Sep, 2007 by
My daughter got this card and was going to activate it. When she told me about the activation fee of $89 I choked! I said I would check this out. I am so glad I found the comments and complaints. We will have to figure out another route for her to rebuild her credit.
A  14th of Sep, 2007 by
I applied for this Credit card thinking to rebuild my credit, but I never got the credit card, I just got the bill and they were charging me 250 dollars when I never activated it. I just call to this # 302-456-1930 and I spoke with a lady and I asked her why I was been charged for a credit card that i never used or activated. So I told her that I wanted to cancel the credit card. She said over the phone that I don't have to worry that she cancelled the card and I don't have to worry for the bill. All this happened today, so I guess I will have to wait and see that I dont get any call or letter from these people regarding to this card. Hopefully not to hear from them ever again. I agree with you guys. We should get a lawyer and suit this company. They are taking advantage of everyone who has bad credit. If any of you guys are planning in doing so please keep me in the loop, you can emailme to chrtnbntz@aol.com. Thanks
A  15th of Sep, 2007 by
Total Scam card! Just got, tried to activate, logged on to ezcardinfo saw the scam charges, did a search for continential finance scam, found this site. I will try to cancel on monday.

Very angry.

continential finance mastercard is a scam
A  16th of Sep, 2007 by
My experience with them is pretty much like the above except in my case alhough my payment was on time they held it up till it was late. They added extra charges because they claimed my bank returned the payment. I immediatly went to my bank and talked to them in person, and they pulled records and showed me that Continental Finance never contacted them to try to get a payment. They concluded it was a scam to get late fees and charge it to my account. I have sent Continental Finance a letter with half the cutup credit card and just enough money to cover my charges I made and a letter explaining the different organizations I am contacting to complain about them and I am contacting the above organizations as well. I thank you for that advice.
A  18th of Sep, 2007 by
This card is a total scam to screw people who have bad or no credit. But if you get a bill in the mail for payments and you didn't activate the card, don't worry! If you call 302-456-1930 within a month, they can close out your account and cancel the card at no cost to you!

If you have bad or no credit, please stick with Capital One!
A  22nd of Sep, 2007 by
I was told last week that my card was cancelled and sure enough when i called back after getting the first bill, my card is still active. I'm going to be possibly speaking to a lawyer to file a class action lawsuit against this company. If anyone has any questions, please contact me.
A  23rd of Sep, 2007 by
I am so glad I read this before I activated the card. I will call this number:302-456-1930, imediately. Seems like things were taken care of. i don't even have bad credit anymore, this card would have made it worse. I only ment to use this card as an emergency card. I got a credit limit of $300 and i only have an avaliable credit of $75, and I haven't even activated my card. If I wouldn't have looked up my account summary online, i wouldn't have known all of this. What a horrible scam!!! If anyone knows how to get back at them by reporting them please let me know, i would love to participate and protect others from making the same mistake!
N  24th of Sep, 2007 by
I have this card, I also have less than good credit but trying to fix. I think anyone who is complaining about the charges should have read the agreement. One thing I will say though.... I think that when I make a payment and it goes through my bank but doesn't hit my credit card for 7 days is a crock. If paypal can do it your telling me Credit Companies can't? Here are the payment charges:
Online payment is $4 , Automated line payment $6.95 , and for Making a payment over the phone it cost $8.95 to do that. I think they should give us a break on that noise. They charge us a fee of 225.00 to even get the card then they want to charges to pay them...

Continental Finance Company Logo Continental Finance Company