Comcast Digital Voice Service / comcast customer service nightmare!

I have a major complaint with Comcast digital voice service. Last month someone called into them and impersonated my wife, gave our home number, address, and had our phone service disconnected! That was easy! It then took us 5 days to get our service restored. This after several calls to their "customer advocacy specialists" and escalations.

Next, this past Friday, our phone service mysteriously stopped receiving incoming calls. We can make calls out, but when dialing our number callers get the famous "You have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service." I called them on Friday and was told 24-72hrs for repair. So that time speeds by, and still no incoming calls. So I called on Monday and was told by a "customer advocacy supervisor" that the trouble ticket would be escalated and most likely repaired that evening. He also offered me a $25.00 "customer satisfaction" credit on our account. Monday evening comes and goes, and still disconnected, so I called them again yesterday and was told that it has been escalated to Verizon, and it is out of their hands! Estimate: 48-72hrs. I was also told by another "customer advocacy specialist" that there was none else I could speak to beyond her, they don't have a consumer affairs hotline (just a PO Box in Texas), and there was no more information she could provide me. She won't give me her last name, number (understandable I suppose), or even which office she works out of (that's less understandable). Her supervisor just does "administrative things", and her supervisor's supervisor also just does "administrative things". She also told me she would be happy to take a disconnect order from me. Nice people! Talk about no accountability, no responsibility and the burden of getting something done squarely on the consumer.

By the way, because of the security issue with the first incident, I asked at that time to have a security password put on our account so that random people who happen to know our address (which unfortunately is listed) can't mess with our account. You would think that after what happened they would ask me for that password, but I have yet to be asked for it once during any of my calls in to them. Each time I ask about that I am told, yes, the password is noted on the account and, yes, they "should have" asked me for it. Wow...

So we're going on day 6 of disconnected phone service, Comcast has no information and no way to voice a complaint, and we are running up our cell phone minutes taking calls on those. It seems like a $25.00 credit is just not enough.

In my opinion, Comcast digital voice customer service is just about the worst out there. I've already got an order in with Verizon to port our number over, but that will not likely occur until Monday. I'm also switching over from Comcast cable internet to Verizon high speed DSL at the same time, just out of principle!

Beware!

Comments

9th of May, 2007

Hey, I work for Comcast, in the CDV department, and it really sucks, we gets all of the complaints the disgruntled customers, but hey it's not the reps we are limited, the cdv service bites really bad it needs to be regulated, then Comcast can start to care about the cx. lately it seams all they care about is the new customer, They got to take good long hard look at the customer's they got know, 30 million cx's with cdv, and out of that 30 million 20million cx's don't have much trouble, but for those that do good god if it where me the third call would have been transfer me to retention my service is not up to par and shove your credits and promos up your a**, but to all of the upset people when your talking with a rep where limited to what we can do, hey I agree with every ticked off customer, but when a customer attacks me for a Comcast issue there is no way in hell I'm going to help you out. So show kindness and I'll give you a months credit, go to bat for you do what I can. The cdv service is a internet service, it's not considered a phone service, if it where then it would be regulated and Comcast would have to get on the ball, so start sending letters to the fcc or who ever regulates the phone service, because Comcast has to wake up. Peace out, and just remember when you call a help desk your speaking with a human not an animal so yelling and screaming like a two year old is going to get your ### hung up on. Put the show on the other foot, would you want me in your face screaming and baling at your place of work?

28th of Jul, 2007

I am currently on day 7 or 8 with incoming calls problems with Comcast digital voice. Same problem as yours--outgoing works, incoming gives an error. My neighbor has the same problem. I called 4 days ago and was told the problem would be fixed in 34 hours or they would send a tech out within 48 hours after the initial 34 hours of my tech support call. No tech has come. Completely disgusted by CDV.

Also note that I was fighting a billing error for 18 months. It was finally corrected last month, but it only took dozens (maybe 4 dozen) of calls, and four service interruptions because of the issue. Each interruption took 7-21 days to repair, and meant loss of phone, Internet, and TV. It's now only been 6 weeks since my bill has been straightened out and now this...

• Ji
      3rd of Dec, 2007

I canceled my digital voice 4 months ago and am still getting billed for it. Every time I call 800-266-2278 I waste over 1 hour and get a total run around. Does anybody have a direct phone number for the Digital Voice Billing?

12th of Jan, 2008

Comcast Nightmare: I have the 3 service with comcast. phone, internet and tv, a week before xmas our phone number changed out of the blue and so anyone calling our original number got a disconnect recording. Got it fixed then in a few days it went back to the new number, again, out of the blue, now, it gets worse, found out that our original number was being routed to the home of a comcast service technicians home and how do I know this? On one of my many calls to comcast tech I actually got the tech who was getting my phone calls, the nightmare continues, they then disconnected my original ph number and then gave it away to a new customer within 4 hours or disconnecting. all throughout christmas and new years 08 this went on and on, finally the came out and changed my modem, saying the tech had my number, holy moley, thought it was all fixed. noooooo, today i was looking for a phone number and went into the digital voice online and there was a list of phone calls that i did not recognize, werent mine, and so im now getting all of the logs from the 2nd number i was given (if your confused, you should be). where are my calls and logs going? talk about breach of security, hope that washington isnt on comcast, bin laden probably has georges number. go figure.

• Ni
      30th of Aug, 2008

i'm not even going to begin typing out my millions of problems with comcast. screwing me out of money, phone not working, wrong internet, wrong cable packages, idiot techs, idiot reps .. waste of money .. about 140 a month before payperview and i have the world's most horrible service.

• 01
      7th of Jan, 2010

Does Comcast ever fix the problem of not receiving incoming calls?

• St
      1st of Aug, 2011

I am very upset about paying Comcast digital voice modem rental fee. It was $5 before and is increased to $7 now. I would like to purchase my own modem so that I don't have to pay $7 each month to rent from Comcast. However, I called Comcast quite a few time but was always told I cannot use my own modem even if I purchase the right model. I think Comcast is ripping the customers off by charging $7 for renting a modem to go with their digital voice. Customers are forced to pay for a modem fee of $7 because Comcast won't allow you to purchase or install one. I just hate to think how much money we have to pay per year for renting a stupid modem from Comcast. It is extremely unfair to Comcast customers.

• In
      6th of Aug, 2011

Hmm, all these complaints about returning AT&T equipments make me suspicious. Maybe this is what AT& T wants, it doesn't want to accept our equipments in their stores so they can con us all and say that they did not receive the equipments hence the huge bills for the unreturned equipments.

But good thing you guys know that you have to ship them back as I had no idea and boy did I get the biggest surprise when I tried returning the equipments to the store. Turned out even the corporate store does not accept and will not even help you with your problem, there is no other option but to go to UPS and ship these damned equipments. The young lady at the corporate office @ Monument Blvd. told me that I can leave the equipments there but they will just throw it away and at first I told her, "yeah these are your equipments you can throw these away" but then since they will not even acknowledge the return, no scanner to scan the serials and since they said they won't even be able to look into my account, I decided I had no choice but to bring it to UPS. But my blood pressure did go up with the way these sales people are so cocky. The manager did apologize but still he has this air like he is not sorry. Anyway, hopefully when I return thru UPS, they will get the equipments right away and not charge me $150 each.

Yesterday I had Comcast installed, TV and INTERNET and PHONE with a free HD-DVR for only 89.97 . I had no reason to stay with AT&T which I pay $112 just for TV and internet alone. AT& T's internet sucks and the TV connection keeps getting cut off so goodbye AT&T !!! I will never get your services again !!!

• In
      6th of Aug, 2011

Ack, I posted it in the wrong thread??? Sorry..
    I just registered awhile ago .. totally a newbie at this.. :(