Coles Supermarkets / eye fillet steak

1 15, Kaye StreetCharlton, Australia

On Tuesday Jan 8 l purchased a 4 pack of "Australian Beef Eye Fillet Steaks. Cost per kg was $44.
My wife and l were having guests over tonight (Sat 12). Along with other special menu items we expected a "problem free dinner with good wine and much pleasantry".
Sadly, this was not to be. The steak was as tough as any "cheap cut" l could buy for less than half the price paid.
Embarrassed, l apologised to our guests, and it only after much prompting that l said the meat was purchased from Coles at Lansell Plaza, Bendigo, and it was evident that the four of us had the same opinion...it was just uncomfortably tough. Both my wife and l entertain through our business connections, so it was not a pleasant end to what should have been a great, convivial evening.
Thankfully the "before" entree and the "after" cheese and nuts, saved what was an otherwise bad experience. Thank goodness for quality red wine also.
I shop at Coles in preference others, but l must say, as far as meat goes, it may be worth looking at a local butcher, where the quality may be "personalised".
Just very disappointed with this experience

Bruce Gardner