Citibankmastercard aa advantage

Holy cow! After 20 years with Citibank, they actually let me cancel my account today due to a problem -- rather than make any effort at all to fix the problem.

I was charged a baggage fee by American Airlines - this has never happened in the past. I explained my issue to the first representative, who then transferred me to a "manager, " who made no attempt whatsoever to fix the problem. She read the script in front of her and suggested that I take it up with the airline. She said there was nothing she could do. I said "no thank you, " as I had already had a lengthy discussion at the airport in which I was told that I was being charged the fee because I had not traveled enough this year (?) not because I had the "wrong" credit card.

This violates every aspect of quality marketing. According to INC. Magazine's article titled "8 Ways to Delight Your Customer Today" - "...most people only express a concern if they truly feel unhappy or uncomfortable. Show personal attention when someone has a complaint. Don't just dismiss it with lame excuses. Ask questions to determine the root of a problem, and ask for their input on a resolution. Then tell the person how you plan to fix it, and follow up to show them what you've done."

What I expected to happen was that she would suggest I upgrade my credit card. I would have been willing to do this if the $50 baggage charge was credited to my account, at which point I would have upgraded to the platinum card. However, when I told her that I felt I had no choice but to close out my card, she said, "Sure, no problem."

Ha! Citibank, which was once lauded as the model for outstanding customer service, has fallen very far down the list. And I got the message today loud and clear: loyalty means nothing and they don't need or want my business.

Re