Chase Bank / horrible customer service

United States, California, Santa Clarita Review updated:
Santa Clarita
I had a checking and savings account with WaMu since 2004 with on-line bill pay and direct deposit from my employer. On 03/24/2009 I attempted to use my WaMu Debit card and my purchase was declined. Knowing I just got pain on 03/24/2009, I contacted WaMu/Chase Bank to address the issue of my card being declined for a purchase, when I was shocked and floored to find out that my direct deposit had been returned to my employer and my account was scheduled for closure on 04/06/2009 and no purchase or debits woulds be honored from 03/24/09 until the account was closed.

I was transferred to the Risk Operations Department when I was told that my account had been flagged due to my e-mail address, thus the reason for Chase to exercise the right to close my account without notification. I informed the Risk operations Customer Service Operatior that I have been a valued customer for over 4 years and that I had authomatic bills coming through as well within the next day or so, based on my pay dates. The customer service rep stated "thats not my problem".

I requested to speak with a supervisor or an investigator when I was told I was speaking with the supervisor and my concerns could not be elevated to a higher level. I was told that there was no way to overturn the decision to close the account. When I became upset and demanded another representitive, I was hung up on. I called back and spoke with another represenitive and was told again that the issues could not be resoloved and there was no supervisor to speak with.

I was really floored when I went to my local branch and the branc manager contacted the Risk Operations Department and was told that my account was closed due to my e-mail address associated with fraud. The branch manager asked what kind of fraud and was told that they did not know, that my account was flagged in their system and the computer system automaticlly closed the account and it could not be overturned. The branc manager asked was this a WaMu Policy or a Chase Policy because she had never heard of such a reason, and she was told that they have the right to close an account without notice and to refer to Chase Policy and Procedures. The Risk Operations did not have the policy in writing and refused to provide information to the Bank Branch.

As of 03/31/2009, I continue to have issues due to returned payments, checks and automatic debits, now causing me to pay fee in excess of over $500.00 due to late fees and returned payment fees, in addition to not having a bank account for my direct deposit or to pay my bills.

There needs to be action taken against Chase Bank ASAP and I will be the voice my frustration and concerns.

N  16th of Jul, 2009 by
N  14th of May, 2010 by
Interestingly, the ONE time I was offered to have a fee waived by a Chase representative was today – when I was asking about how to finally close out my account. I have let it run down and changed all my bill pays, but there is one I missed, my Geico car insurance. It went through, I overdrew my account, and was assessed a $35 fee. On the phone, the rep comped me this fee. I had to laugh, since I have never ever been offered that before. Too little, too late.

here is an account of the laughable experience I had with trying to deposit checks. In and of itself, not a big deal - but indicative of how they deal with their customers. I am no longer a Chase customer as a result.

September 2009

I got married this year and received checks from family in Canada. Relatives wrote their checks from Canadian accounts but the checks are U.S. Dollars. First road bump - the ATM at my local Chase branch won’t take them and says to speak with a teller. Fair enough.

I first go to the customer service person to make sure there isn’t a problem with the check (since the ATM didn’t specify why it was rejecting it). He assures me the check is fine and just to go to the window to deposit it. He doesn’t mention fees even though he sees (and I specifically point out) that it is a check from another country but in U.S. dollars.

The teller starts to process my check. About a third of the way through, she says there may be a fee for processing.

I ask how much. Amazingly she isn’t able to tell me because she doesn’t know the amount of the fee. She has a guess of $45. This is on a $200 check.

I offer to sit and wait while she finds out, and then I can decide if I’ll deposit it. She says she can’t find out how much – she isn’t even sure when in the process the fee gets levied. The most I can find out from her is that the fee will be decided and assessed at some point in the future, and it won’t be on-site in the branch.

I don’t want to pay a potentially 25% fee, and so I don’t deposit the check in my Chase account. I go to TD Bank, where my husband and I have a saving account, and deposit it, no problem, no questions asked. I also deposit the three other checks I received from Canadian friends and relatives into that same account.

Chase Bank / JPMorgan Chase Bank Logo Chase Bank / JPMorgan Chase Bank