Charter One Bank / no notification of fraud

1 Matteson, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 877-981-3733

When I attempted to use my debit card on a Saturday evening, it was declined. It was when I tried to make a withdrawal from a Charter One ATM about a half-hour later, I learned that my ATM card had been deactivated. When I phoned the ATM number, I learned that someone had made close to $2, 000 in fraudulent purchases from a software firm in Minnesota between 10 & 10:23 the night before - I had received no notification that someone had made these purchases. The bank said that they could do nothing to permit the purchases from being processed and that I had to file a fraud complaint with the software firm. Meanwhile, the bank charged $309 in insufficient funds fees against my account even though the software firm told me that they had refunded the amounts fraudulently charged to my ATM card on a Tuesday afternoon, four days after the fraudulent purchases were made.

Comments

• Ca
      15th of Jul, 2009

Same thing happened to me. Charter one isn't my main bank account, but I had about $200 in unauithorized transactions taken out, yet Charter One charged me over $500 in overdraft fees. Since its not my main bank account, I learned of this a MONTH after it happened!! My main bank is with ING, the same thing happened with them except when someone tried to make a charge, ING called me right away and notified me about it, I told them it wasn't me, and they took care of the rest, and that was even at 7am, very awesome. But just today I found yet Another unauthorized transaction on my charter one account, the fraud department must really be useless.

Napreville, IL

• Li
      20th of Oct, 2010

I lost around $2000 from my charterone account just today. Some scammer withdrew the money from an ATM nearby and ran my account into negative balance! Went to the police station to register a complaint. According to the Police department of Bensenville, IL, they have received umpteen number of similar complaints in the recent past from Charterone bank account holders, and advised me to contact the bank to see what is going on. When I went to the bank, there are some 20 other people standing in queue at the bank, with similar complaints!!. We asked them what is going on, and the bank manager says, apparently, whoever used their Charterone Card to withdraw money from the local charterone atm, fell into a trap, as there was some fraudulent device attached to the ATM, which would record the password and the code from the actual card, to scammers, so they could make a card which would be exactly like mine, and they would be able to withdraw money from my account, using the recorded password!!! Now, the bank offered me to refund the money, as it was their mistake and the fraud happened at their ATM center. I am not sure how everything is going to pan out, and when will my money would be refunded to me, and whether they would waive off or not, the overdraft fee incurred due to the fraudulent activity. I am keeping my fingers crossed...not at all happy with Charterone.