Charter One Bank / fraud and scam

United States Review updated:

After recently moving, I called Charter One Bank to change my address. The monthly statement specifically tells you to call the number on it to report address changes. I called and was taken to a menu where you hit 1 for this, 2 for that, etc. None of these options were for address changes or to talk to a customer service rep. I pressed "4" for more options as the prompter suggested. None of these options were appropriate either. I was at a dead end. Pressing "0" or "#" or "*" was useless. I finally had to choose a random number and keep going until they finally let me talk to a live person. She took my info and I thought the nightmare was over. For three months I waited but my address never got updated. I called the same number. I went through the same drill to get a live person. After he finished, I asked him for a number that would get me a live person next time. He provided one. I called it and got the exact same menu as the first number. When I finally got a live person, I asked her the same thing. She said all I had to do was hit "0" and I would get a live person. I tried it and had to hit "0" FOUR TIMES before getting another rep. I asked the rep why they don't have a direct number or why the menu doesn't give you a choice of a live person. She said "most people" don't want to talk to a person. They just want to check their bank information. I hope I never move again. Oh wait, maybe I should just switch banks.
Va

Comments

Iv
  19th of Feb, 2009
My Charter One again this January tried to charge me a late payment of $39.00 for making a late payment. Payment was due on 01/02/09 and I mailed the invoice with several other bills on 12/20/09. Last year after holding for 39 minutes with no response I hung and and decided to pay the late charge just because I wasn't about to try again to call and wait. I was not late with payment last year!

This year the credited my account the late fee of $39.00 after I told them ALL my other bills cleared on the 23rd of December.
They tried to tell me because of the holidays it arrived late and in no certain terms I told them they may have had a skeleton crew working during the holidays who missed posting my check.

Watch your statements and don't let them get away with bogus late charges when you paid on time.

CharterBank Logo CharterBank