Charter One Bank / fraud and scam

After recently moving, I called Charter One Bank to change my address. The monthly statement specifically tells you to call the number on it to report address changes. I called and was taken to a menu where you hit 1 for this, 2 for that, etc. None of these options were for address changes or to talk to a customer service rep. I pressed "4" for more options as the prompter suggested. None of these options were appropriate either. I was at a dead end. Pressing "0" or "#" or "*" was useless. I finally had to choose a random number and keep going until they finally let me talk to a live person. She took my info and I thought the nightmare was over. For three months I waited but my address never got updated. I called the same number. I went through the same drill to get a live person. After he finished, I asked him for a number that would get me a live person next time. He provided one. I called it and got the exact same menu as the first number. When I finally got a live person, I asked her the same thing. She said all I had to do was hit "0" and I would get a live person. I tried it and had to hit "0" FOUR TIMES before getting another rep. I asked the rep why they don't have a direct number or why the menu doesn't give you a choice of a live person. She said "most people" don't want to talk to a person. They just want to check their bank information. I hope I never move again. Oh wait, maybe I should just switch banks.

Va

Comments

• Iv
      19th of Feb, 2009

My Charter One again this January tried to charge me a late payment of $39.00 for making a late payment. Payment was due on 01/02/09 and I mailed the invoice with several other bills on 12/20/09. Last year after holding for 39 minutes with no response I hung and and decided to pay the late charge just because I wasn't about to try again to call and wait. I was not late with payment last year!

This year the credited my account the late fee of $39.00 after I told them ALL my other bills cleared on the 23rd of December.
    They tried to tell me because of the holidays it arrived late and in no certain terms I told them they may have had a skeleton crew working during the holidays who missed posting my check.

Watch your statements and don't let them get away with bogus late charges when you paid on time.