Certegy Check Services / denial check cashing

WI, United States Review updated:

I went to Wal-Mart today to cash my state tax refund, when the check was denied. Mind you, I cash checks every week for child support at Wal-Mart with out any problems. I was given a little slip of paper and told to call the number listed on the paper. When doing so I was run thru a series of automated mumbo jumbo that made no sense as to why I was not allowed to cash my check. After 1 hour on the phone I finally got to a human. She asked me some personal info and then told me that this decline was nothing I did but it was to protect my identity and Wal-Mart against fraud. She asked for my SSN and my drivers license and my DOB, she also verified that it was a US GOVT check and it was valid. I was happy to know that someone was watching out for little ol me. She then told me she would add me to the VIP list and that it would be 15 minutes before I could cash my check with out any issues. WELL!!! I waited 1 hour and then tried again, FAIL!!! I get the same piece of paper, and this time I am not as friendly with them. Upon another hour on the phone, I am told that what she did has no effect on my cashing ability at Wal-mart. I was told that since someone has already cashed a check some where else in the US close to the amount (not exact) of my check, I would not be able to cash it. That since over the last 13 months of check cashing I had not cashed a check equivalent to the 1 in my hands now, and that over the last 13 months I have cashed well over the amount however, not in 1 single transaction. And the fact that the US GOVT issued me this check has no meaning to this company. I was talked to like I was a common criminal who is printing these checks in my bathroom and trying to pass them off as the real deal. Needles to say, Wal-Mart was unaware of this, (or the people at mine) they were very upset and said there should be some sort of signage that states they could attempt to cash your check, however this crap-shoot of a check service may decline you since they feel like they run the world of checks. On another note, If you google them, all you can find is complaint after complaint...I think Wal-Mart needs to rethink their business partners.

Or

Comments

• Pm
      1st of Feb, 2010

My sister when to Walmart today to try to cash a State check and was also denied. She's also been cashing these same checks for almost a year with no problem. Got the same slip of paper to contact Certegy.

• Je
      16th of Feb, 2010

I got the same thing today and the woman behind us said she called Certegy and they "overturned" the security decision and said for her to try again. She was denied the second time too and over the phone I was told that they cannot overturn those decisions and that I was out of luck since it checks for fraud and "sometimes" good checks get flagged as fraudulent. wtf! I was told to go to the bank that issued the check..uh...THE UNITED STATES TREASURY????? Idiots!