Century Link / rip off

1 Port Charlotte Punta Gorda, FL, United States Review updated:

This company is a fraud, takes for ever to do an installation. There is not other land line service available in my area. I need a line that is not VOIP. They are taken advantage of not competition for this segment here in SW florida. They change due date on my paperless account, Late Fee is more expensive than phone service. they charge in advance, no credit for down time I can't believe that companies like this can still doing business today, Crap service very very expense. I'm considering take my alarm off premises since phone service cost more than alarm itself... BEWARE CENTURYLINK = THIEVES

Comments

• Ri
      18th of Feb, 2010

CenturyLink is a very poor quality phone company, definately no customer oriented.

24th of Feb, 2010

Hi.

Sorry to read about the trouble you had with our company. I'll be glad to help you out with your issues. I've been helping customers on ComplaintsBoards.com for awhile and will gladly assist you as well. Can you email me the account number (or phone number) referenced in the complaint and I can check into things for you. My email is Joey@CenturyLink.com.

Thanks,

Joey H.

• Am
      26th of Mar, 2010

I have been having trouble with bogus charges since May 09. They agree to credit charges back but never do. My bill is supposed to be $198.00 per month but is $270.00. No explanation just give me phone tag runaround. I'm going to write local congressman to try and get something done. This is fraud bad business.

29th of Mar, 2010

Amy,

Sorry to read about your troubles also. I would be more than happy to look into this issue for you as well. Can you email me your account information so that I can investigate it? My email is Joey@CenturyLink.com. Please let us know what we can do to help.

• Ba
      6th of Apr, 2010

bogus charges or rude representatives, they suck ! I am terminally ill and had very bad spell today .couldnt call Dr. cause service is suspended even though just made payment last week and was mislead and misimformed by rude representatives who refused to let me talk to manager. When my 3 children are left with out a mother I hope you rude people can live with yourselfs. SHAME ON YOU CENTURYLINK!

• Je
      7th of May, 2010

I had been very happy with my phone and internet service until today; I was going to switch to Comcast to save money due to the economy about a month ago. Century link CALLED ME and offered me ($10.00 off my phone bill for a year and free internet service for 6 months) and I decided to stay with them. Well I received my bill today and I was not credited what they said they would. When I called to ask about this their reply was they no longer offer the six months free internet service and I would not be getting it. Supposedly the company that offered me the savings is not really Century link. They use an outside company to do their work (with Century Links authorization) then blame the outside company for making offers that Century Link has no intention of honoring. The supervisor that I talked to told me that she would talk to the outside company and make sure they understand what plans are available. After I asked her where that left me she told me that she was not going to do anything to make this right. I then told her I was going to go with the Comcast deal and she asked me if there was anything else she could do for me. The freaking nerve of these people, it must be nice for the owners of Century Link to know they can afford to lose customers. I guess they knew that when they hired the outside company and that supervisor.

10th of May, 2010

Je Medina,

I'm sorry to read about the experience you had with CenturyLink. I'll be more than happy to look into this issue for you. Can you email me your account information and reference Complaintsboard.com? My email address is Joey@CenturyLink.com. Our online customer outreach has been helping customers for over two years. Please let us know what we can do to help. Thanks!

21st of Jun, 2010

Damage control for CenturyLink is a full-time job and a half isn't it Joey?

DSL install going on a week late here. Customer service is so bad I am considering STAYING with HughesNet. Never thought anything could make me say that.

• Ve
      29th of Jul, 2010

Rip off isn't the word. I've gone 1 1/2 months without service and they are trying to bill me for $180.00. They even tried to charge me for repairs when the problem was with their equipment.

CenturyLink is the telecom version of Bernie Madoff.

• Da
      17th of Mar, 2011

Century Link charges way too much for their service. I have no other option and I am considering getting rid of everything, Who can afford to pay $100.00 a month for phone and internet. What is wrong with this country. I had another option I would drop Century Link in a heartbeat. I am looking into cell phones with internet that will hook to my laptop or desktop. Century Link really sucks !!!

18th of Mar, 2011

dami91,

I'm also sorry to read about the trouble you've had. I'll be more than happy to look at your account to see if there are any savings we can offer. Can you email me your account information and reference your post here on Complaintsboard.com? My email address is Joey@CenturyLink.com. Thanks!

• Le
      1st of Jun, 2011

i have to agree with everyone here, this company is such a rip-off. they totally taking advantage of people that they can't get any other service, but them.

i am currently filling a lawsuit against the company.
    and i hope they go bankrupt!!!

• Ke
      17th of Jun, 2011

this company is charging 50$ per month for 10mb download and look what im getting. http://www.speedtest.net/result/1346109691.png
    PATHETIC

• Re
      20th of Jul, 2011

Well century link charge me about 170.00 a month for internet that is not even that fast

• Gi
      23rd of Jul, 2011

Joey H. don't even try to say you are sorry because you are trained to say that. I will not give you my phone number or customer number because it is way too late. CenturyLink is the worst phone company. They could not get their story straight to save their life! I had NEVER authorized to have bills sent to one of my many e-mail addresses! I got bills a few months later for several hundred dollars due now. I called three times about that issue and it was never resolved. So in a nutshell this happened to me often. The customer service rep was so stupid he had the nerve to tell me that the shut off notice was the bill. I also had a lot of trouble with their Internet. Their customer service reps refuse to believe their equipment is ever at fault. I went without Internet for months. They even had me take my computer to a repair shop twice. They do everything possible to collect late fees and make you pay for things you can't get. I have a cell phone now and use the Internet at the library. I will NEVER use CenturyLink again!

• Ca
      11th of Aug, 2011

I also inquired about service paid a 25 dollar deposit also had issues with instalation - i live with three roomates they require a letter from the landlord or some bs but didnt tell me that before i paid them the deposit now they are purposefully drawing out or prolonging giving my money back to me - its gonna take 90 days to get my 25 dollars back and they took it instantly off my card and i didnt receive a thing i already made a bbb complaint and plan to hit every forum and site and complain to the attorney general i have already contacted corporate they wont take my calls i recorded it for the media. I am glad I never got service with this crappy company all this stuff they are doing to me and im not even a customer yet imagine if i was. they probably would have over charged me they are already playing with my money and doing fraudelant billing FYI people if you do a charge back on your cc it hurts the company- If they get an estreme amount of Charge backs they can lose thier ability to process cc payments. Hit em where it hurts charge back on your payments i have ot take a day off from work to go down to my bank to do a charge back just to get my 25 back is ridiculous. I dont need the 25 and i will be charged 30 to do the charge back im doing it because i am so angry with this company. i will never have service with this company not even if it meant i would have no internet. i hate centurylink they suck! ripoffs

24th of Sep, 2011

Joey H is more than likely a bot setup by Century Link to cover their @ss. "They" have to make it seem like their was an "attempt" to resolve the issue, that A+ from BBB takes lots of money. I don't want to bash Century Link just yet but I've been having issues with Qwest since January. I have 3 separate bills from Qwest showing discounted rates starting in April til end of July (Around the same time Century Link officially took over (the world haha) Qwest. First bill from Century Link shows a modification to my account/service not authorized by me. They cancelled the $29.99 12 month contract I was 3 months into ( I have the paper bills with confirmation number a legal document I believe) and started charging me $79.99 (Seriously for 20MB!). Not to mention a slap in the face with the "Price for life" $10 off so $69.99 for ADSL? LUDICROUS! I have been calling with billing issues every month since January. I'm sick of being nice, pushed around like a sheep talking to these support reps.. Calling Monday to speak with a manager to find out why they altered our legally binding contract (fraud) in order to charge me a lot more. I wonder if losing customers cause rates are too high or defrauding the consumer (Oh yeah I am not a "new" customer I fell for that couple years ago) is smart economics. Rather, reducing rates in a time where people are debating whether to pay internet bill or rent. This is not 1996 when DSL providers could charge these outrageous prices the competition is steep and a company the size of Century Link should be considering America and it's current state. GREAT IDEA EVERY CUSTOMER CURRENT OR NEW CAN QUALIFY FOR THE SAME PRICE FOR 5 YEARS. The internet is a necessity for everyday life (School, commerce, entertainment) and charging a reasonable rate will eventually make the big wigs the money they can waste on another G5 or yacht. "But, Bill I want that latest G5 now, I can't wait a year my life is over, " said the filthy rich shark bathed in only the finest silk suit. If I were CEO rich I would have some one wipe my ### for me, like that's all they did. Carry wet wipes etc. Oh I wouldn't pay them much, I mean they are wiping my ### for money, I'm thinking $69.99 per toilet dragon. The End. Good Day/Night/Life. Rich get richer, poor suckle off their teat. MMMMM Good Ole American sustenance at its best. Still greatest place to live and surf the net no matter the price.

20th of Oct, 2011

I had comcast, until I spoke with a century link rep, who told me I could get the exact same services from them for $68.99 a month. That's a third of what I was paying, so I thought it was too good to be true, and I asked "how can I know for sure that you won't raise The price or that this includes all the services?"
    The rep replied "well this call is being recorded, and if you ever have a problem with your billing, you can ask to have this call played back to verify the price of your services."
    After getting my bill for $280.00 (yes FOUR times as much) I called the billing department to find out what happened, and was rudely told that I'm basically screwed. They said that they only keep recorded phone calls for 30 days, so it's IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to check back and hear what you were told at sign-up. This is illegal. The rep gets money for every account they set up, and purposely lied to me for financial gain, which is better known as fraud. After speaking to two supervisors, they said there's no way I can get WHAT WAS PROMISED to me originally, and that I need to drop almost all my features to get the price Down to $80. When I said that the rep lied on purpose, they tried to cover their ### and say "I don't know how or why she gave you the wrong info, but we'll look into it" then I asked if their reps had knowledge of the prices they charge for their service, and she said they did, so I replied "if she knew the prices, why would she tell me $70?" I didn't get an answer. I'll tell you why, the reps get money for getting me to sign up and know that I have no way to prove what she told me, basically defrauding me so they can get the commission for signing me up. This just isn't immoral, it's ILLEGAL!!! I'm either going to get what was promised to me, or I'm filing a civil suit against them, and turning the case over to the police so they can investigate the fraud they are comitting. AVOID CENTURY LINK!! they did nothing but basically tell me I'm a liar and there's nothing they can do to fix this problem. Great way to do business, lure people in with lies, then screw them over, hey if they don't pay we can always shut off their Internet and phones so they won't even be able to complain to anyone.
    Worst company I've EVER dealt with. The customer service is worse than Walmart on the day after Christmas.

Ps. I'd LOVE for someone from century link to respond to me and explain to me how this "mix up" happened, and explain to me if they teach their reps to break the law intentionally, or if this is just an isolated incident.

BrokenBad53@yahoo.com

• Ap
      3rd of Jun, 2016
    Century Link - Another Screw Job
    Century Link

I ordered the internet service for my college daughter, the special of $19.95 a month. You know, the one on all their web sites and advertising. My daugher asked me for money in Jan to pay her $80 internet bill. Come to find out she had been $80 per month since last Sept. I called Century Link to clear the isuue up and was told "sorry we have no record of you getting our widely advertised special, so you pay the $80 a month for our cheapest service or sign a new contract. I know so many people who have been screwd by this company. DUE BUSINESS WITH THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK1111111