Carpet One / Bait and Switch used on me

When talking with P, the manager of a Carpet Giant branch in Salt Lake City, he gave me a long speech about the guarantees made by Bigelow carpets, saying, "They will refund your money even if you don't like it." So I bought the carpet, thinking it was Bigelow, a name I trusted. First, the installer brought with him into my home, a friend who was not employed by Carpet Giant and who, the installer told me later on, was on drugs.

The installation was terrible. I called Carpet Giant three times and each time they sent an independent contract out to fix it, but it was never fixed. Moreover, the quality of the carpet is inferior.

I complained to Carpet Giant's Customer Service representative about the "Bigelow" carpet, only to receive a letter saying the manufacturer was not Bigelow, but Mohawk.

Do I have any recourse on this bait-and-switch scam?

Comments

• Un
      29th of Jul, 2009

Firstly, all mills and several retailers will use different child mill names for their carpets. Mohawk alone manufactures carpet under the labels world, customweave, wundaweave, to name a few, and so it does not denote a switch-and-bait scam. It is your responsibility as a consumer to educate yourself on these issues before making a purchase.

Secondly, it is obvious that you are unhappy with the installation, and as such I hope you have brought up that issue alone to this retailer, however bringing up the issue of the carpet being inferior is not recommended, as any retailer will assume you are simply not happy with your carpet due to color or other reasons. If you are to bring up the issue of the carpet being inferior, you must also explain why the carpet is of inferior quality. Is it inferior to the sample you were shown? or inferior to what you hoped the quality of the carpet would actually be?