Carmax / Fraud and scam

Helped my daughter by her 1st car in Feb., 2008 from carmax. We bought a 2001 Saturn, a very nice clean car and red like my daughter wanted. Thinking that with Carmax and their 125 point inspection, we were getting a car that was dependable and trust worthy.

Boy were we soon to find out that was a big joke. Had car for a few months and started having minor problems. Cigarette lighter dead, water leak and transmission starting to slip and engine smoking and using oil badly. Took car into shop at carmax on the southwest freeway here in houston. It took over a month to get the car repaired half a$$ed.

They replaced only half the parts needed for a major overhaul, Like replaced the exhaust valve stem seals but not the intake seals. Replaced only the piston rings, but no where does the repair list show any gaskets, main seals, cam bearings, etc... With me being a former mechanic, when you have that much damage you rebuild motor or replace with a rebuilt motor. They replaced waterpump not once but twice, cause 1st one was wrong they said. Then the transmission was rebuilt with only a few parts replaced, not a full rebuild as needed. When trannie slips its a complete overhaul.

Had car back one week, and back to shop again, Smoking again, loosing water and trannie acting up again. Again car is in shop for about a month. And this time they say its only a sensor or 2 is the problem.

We get car back again, this time full tank of gas gone, brakes making noise. Which I replaced front and rear brake pads and rear wheel cylinders and rotors. Test drive car and low and behold its smoking again, blue smoke and water leaking again.

Back to shop at carmax again, Still haven't fixed problem, and I get told take it to Saturn Dealer and we will reimburse you the 75 dollar for the warranty. I haven't even got their stupid warranty company still to reimburse me for the rental car I got the first time around.

Car now smokes, gas mileage has gone from upper 20's to low 30's to maybe low 10's. Water still leaks and a car that is not dependable for my daughter to drive and not worth making car payments on. All carmax says basically oh well, we can buy back but be less than you owe and still have to pay off balance.

Carmax is a rip off in my book!

Va

Comments

• Ca
      6th of Nov, 2008

My name is Chris and I work with social media PR in the CarMax home office. I am sorry to read of your poor experience at one of our stores. Please contact the CarMax Customer Relations Department at 1-800-519-1511 and give them the opportunity to assist you with your issue. CarMax strives to offer excellent customer service and we take it very seriously when we read an instance such as this. Thank you.

9th of Dec, 2008

Carmax, seems to be pulling a very shady deal. I made a payment to my account on The first of December. For a large amount 4200.00 USD. the funds were withdrawn from my account on Dec 2nd. My account has not been credited. So Friday the 5th of December I call and speak to a csr and am informed there is no record of this transaction. So on her recommendation. I have my bank send a fax to the customer service area. The csr told me to address it to the customer service department. I was told I would receive a call Monday. Monday comes and I call back. And informed by a new csr that carmax holds electronic payments over 1000.00 for seven days. I ask her to check on this I had previously made a payment for 1500.00 dollars. And it cleared the bank fine the next day. My fax is still MIA. I am seeking advice as to whether I go to my bank a dispute the charge to carmax and say that it did not get to them. And have my bank yank back the payment.

• Lr
      25th of Jan, 2010

I'm having the similar problem with CarMax. CarMax is claiming that I'm behind in my payments due to wire transfers from my bank. When trying to discuss it with CarMax, one Service Representative stated that CarMax doesn't accept wire transfer directly from other banking institutes. Per my bank statements I'm up to date with my payments, but their records say I'm three months behind. CarMax Customer Relations won't investigate or do anything staying its a different department, but will escalate it. I'm still waiting to her back from them (Week No 4). Now they want to repo the vehicle when I'm not behind on my payments!

• To
      25th of Feb, 2010

Well Chris, it seems to me that there is a whole site here screaming about how crooked Carmax is with shoddy repairs and shady business practices. If I would have went to Carmax BEFORE reading about how bad of a company they were, Then I would have issue to call you as would the numerous people that have posted on this site. Thank god for the internet and the voice of unhappy customers. I believe I will take my business elsewere...

T

• Li
      25th of May, 2010

Tony,

While you only see people who are complaining about Carmax, you'll find even more people on this very site who state that Carmax offered them a better deal, service, and/or pointed out how they were being ripped off by other dealers. Want some fun reading? Do a search on Darcars and have a laugh.