Capital One Credit Card / stolen card

My home was broken into in April - the thieves took and used my Capital One Credit Card and AOL Visa credit card to make gas purchases. I called Capital One and AOL Visa immediately. A fraud representative from Capital One told me she would be sending out fraud forms for me to complete and the amt of 106.00 would be removed from the card. It is July and I am still waiting for the fraud forms and the 106.00 dollars to credit to my acct. I have made numerous phone call regarding this matter- still with no results. The 106.00 balance is still being carried on the card. As soon as this matter is resolved I'm canceling this acct-never to return.

As far as AOL credit card- they resolved this matter in days!

Ma

Comments

• Je
      15th of Oct, 2008

I can relate. I reported my card so long ago I had to choose the option that says 'report your card as lost, missing or stolen'. Those options are probably separate now. Anyway, it vanished at a restaurant and I reported it promptly. I was told the typical (at that time) this and that about it - I wouldn't be responsible for fraudulent charges, I didn't need to report it to the bureaus, blah, blah, blah... I had done what I was supposed to do and the canceling and such of the account was going to be done on their end.

I found out years later that not only had the account never been canceled or whatever but also that it had been accumulating compounding fees and interest for all that time and that they never did report that I reported the card as stolen (even up to - literally - today). After several years they decided that they wanted a police report, which was not expected nor asked of me at the time and I obviously couldn't get after half a decade, not to mention a whole bunch of other things, when I hadn't even heard from them for years and my credit report with them showed as okay.

They have harassed my family relentlessly, calling up to 17 times a day- knowing that I don't live there and that they are calling a business number, not a home one. They finally stopped when my mother told them they had been and would continue to be reported every single day they did it and that she had no problem with suing them as well. This is about the time they decided to report all details of my "delinquent account" to the bureaus.

This card, I might add, had a balance of less than 5 dollars when this happened - that money was sent to them and they accepted it, had been payed on time the entire time I had it and payed at 95% of the total balance each time. I was trying to build credit since I had none. Needless to say, my credit is now hosed and I wouldn't be all too surprised if they've tried to get some kind of judgment against me without my knowledge.

25th of Oct, 2008

IF YOUR TIME IS IMPORTANT TO YOU, NEVER USE CAPITAL ONE CREDIT CARD. They are the worst in the industry! For the 4th or 5th time in a few months, they have put a hold on my credit card for no reason. It is so embarrasing! I am waiting in line to pay the cashier at a supermarket and the card gets declined. I know that there is plenty of money on the card, so I called the customer service number. Guess what? I am transferred to India, where I could barely understand the customer rep's thick Indian accent. I had to repeat my card number several times, then she argues that the number I gave is not a legitimate number. I said, "What?!" I am reading the card that you, guys issued me and I have been using this same card for years. Then, she puts me on hold for several minutes. Upon her return, I remind her that I am still holding up the line at the supermarket and people are starting to glare at me like it's my fault that my credit card is having problems. The service rep asks me to repeat the credit card number 2 more times, puts me on hold for 3 more minutes and then says that there is no hold on the card and for the cashier to try to run it again. For the 4th time, the store cashier runs the card and again, the computer screen says that the card is declined. I tell the service rep this, and she still insists that it is not on their end, but on the store's end. The cashier runs the card 2 more times. Same thing. I ask the service rep to be transferred to a supervisor and she says in "an-i-don't-give-a-crap" voice, "I can't transfer you until I exhaust all the troubleshooting possibilities. What are the last 3 digits on the back of your card?" I give her the number and she says, "That is an invalid code". Again, I shriek, '"What?! I am simply reading the back of my card and I have used this code and this card for years? What is going on?" She says (amused), "Hold the line..." Again, I was on hold for several minutes, then she comes back on the line and said, "I don't see any problem on the card. Run the card again... Maybe this time it will work." I ask the cashier (who at this time, is now glaring at ME), to run the card one last time. Guess what? Card is still declined and the phone goes dead!