British Airways / misleading website ticket booking

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

I recently booked a flight for my 87 year old infirm Mother to travel to London Heathrow from Malaga on 20th May. I selected Departure and Destination airports by name and was delivered a list of flights one of which I booked. I checked the price and details and time and paid. I noticed a couple of days ago on one of their reminder emails that the flight was indeed going to London Gatwick not London Heathrow. I went to the website and made another selection using the same criteria as normally if there is no routing from one place to another there is no option to select flights. However on BA's website you ask for London Heathrow and they give you flights to Gatwick! I called customer services to see what could be done but they told me they don't fly Malaga to Heathrow anymore and haven' for 3 months - I asked why there was still an option for Heathrow from Malaga and why they gave back flights to another airport? I was not given a satisfactory answer, told I could change the time of the flight but would have to pay £150 on top of the £105 I have already paid for the flight. Their customer services rep was officious and unhelpful and told me his senior manager had told me to tell him that he would only say the same and on that basis would not come to the phone. At least they could change the flight to earlier in the day without charge for an elderly and frail person! The current flight arrives at 8pm (equivalent to 9pm Malaga time) and the journey is over an hour back to where she lives. I think it is a disgrace.

Comments

8th of May, 2012

On the 07 05 2012 I experienced almost exactly the same situation as you. I took screenshots on my computer of the process by which when you book a seat from Heathrow on the British Airways Website to a city in Europe, in my case France - although it clearly shows you have selected departure airport as Heathrow and then confirms this on several subsequent pages, it then later includes flights departing from Gatwick. It is extremely misleading because at this stage you have no reason to expect that any other flights other than from Heathrow will be listed. Like you I later found out (in my case as soon as I had the flights confirmed, which was a matter of minutes only) that my ticket was leaving from Gatwick. immediately I began the process of trying to get them to change the booking back to heathrow. i kept all my correspondence with them - which is many pages and many attempts using different access routes to BA. Athough the flights from Heathrow were listed on their site (out and return) as only £10 more than the flights from Gatwck I was expected to pay almost £100 on top of what I had already paid for this journey. As of now they still haven't done anything about it. It is impossible to get proper communication with BA - they have built a fortress of non-communication.