Booking.com / unauthorised card charges - booking.com

France

I have booked 2 nights at GB House, Turin, through Booking.com and paid in advance. I had been using booking.com for years and during this time I felt comfortable about giving my credit card details to them.
I contacted Booking.com believing this was a mistake and they simply told me to solve the situation with the "hotel". The hotel claims I have damaged a blanket and charged the absurd amount of 1628, 96 euros without my authorization. This came as an even bigger and very unpleasant surprise because we have no knowledge at all about damages of that magnitude or indeed any magnitude to anything in the room. We therefore deny these charges made by GB House.
The hotel never contacted me regarding any damage, nor before, nor after performing the bank transaction. I was highly surprised when I saw the operation in my bank statement. I tried to contact booking.com again and received the same instructions. The "hotel" didn;t answer my emails until I asked an italian friend to call them and ask. Their justification was absurd.
Especially when we checked out on May 1st, national holiday, and to my surprise, the unauthorized bank transaction happened on the morning of May 2. And since none of us have been contacted regarding any damage BEFORE the money was taken, nor received any photos, receipts or any other proof to confirm the damage, it clearly makes it a commercial litigation.
Charging customers without their consent is a fraud. It is an unauthorised bank operation and it is a crime, as defined by EU as defined by the Directive 2007/64/EC.

On Terms and Conditions of Booking.com they say:

This indemnification only applies to credit card reservations made using Booking.com's secure server and the unauthorised use of your credit card resulted through our default or negligence and through no fault of your own while using the secure server.

The reality is that Booking.com just pass your credit card details to the hotel and feel no responsibility about it, they dont care if the hotel overcharges you or even charges you for under a false accusation, as in my case.

I keep Booking.com in copy of all the emails exchanged with the hotel and haven't receive any response for a week.
I have had problems with Booking.com before regarding customer privacy protection but this is way beyond the acceptable.

Bl