[Resolved] Booking.com / cancellation policy

1 San Francisco, CA, United States

Do not use this company. Their cancellation policy is wordsmithed to make sure that you pay a cancellation fee even if you change of modify the policy. I made a reservation for 3 nights with a hotel in SF. Booking.com's cancellation policy was that I would be charged a fee up to 100% of the 1st night's charge if I cancelled or modified within 24 hours of arrival. I had to cancel the last night, but since I was paying for the 1st 2 nights, I assumed based on their wording, that since I was paying for the 1st night, there would be no charge for the cancelled night (I travel for a living, so I've had to do this before, never an issue). They told me that I would be charged the fee anyway, just because I modified the reservation, even though I would be paying for 2 nights. All hotels are sold out in the area, so the room could easily be re-booked (and would be definitely), so they are getting double paid for a night based on language targeted to screw the consumer.

I also called Kimpton to try to make the change directly and they told me to talk to Booking.com and that I would have to pay the fee. The mgr I spoke with was rude (general booking, not the hotel itself) so I suggest that you do not use Kimpton Hotels either. Simple, poor customer service. Could have been easily resolved. I book about 250 nights a year for myself and employees that work for me worldwide. I will never use Booking.com again or Kimpton and I will not allow my company to use them either. I recommend that everyone reading this does the same.

• Resolution statement

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, May 22, 2013

Hi Joe,
    We have been in touch with you regarding this matter. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.
    Kind Regards,
    Angela - Booking.com Team

• Booking.com Customer Care's Response, May 22, 2013

Hello Joe,
    I am sorry to hear about this. Can you please provide me with your Booking number?
    I would be glad to look into it for you.
    Regards,