Bob's Discount Furniture / what a headache

A friend and I went to Bob's for our living room furniture. We purchased a sofa and loveseat, a recliner, a coffee table and two side tables on May 18th. We were told that everything would be ready within a week or so, but we'd definitely have our things before June 10 (because we chose a different colour for the recliner, it was "special order"). June 10 came and went, we called numerous times over a couple of days, and finally got a delivery date for the tables and recliner. (Apparently, our couches were going to take just a couple more days.) We weren't home to receive the delivery, and when we got there, discovered that the deliverymen had damaged the coffee table. I called Bob's, and they said they'd bring us a new table along with the couches, which would be ready, we were told, by the end of the week. That deadline passed, we called and called, got no answer other than "any day now", and finally we drove back to the store on 6/16, nearly a month after the purchase date. At the store, we are informed that the couches we purchased had been discontinued and that someone else had already bought the floor model. But we were welcome to take an altered model of the couches in flaming red (rather than sage green). No one had bothered to tell us all this time, when we asked over and over again about the couches, that we would NEVER be getting our furniture. We had to pick out a brand new set, and when we asked for a small discount, were flatly refused. But I accepted. I just wanted some furniture in my new apartment! I reminded the employee that Bob's needed to deliver my new coffee table with the new couches, as they had promised. They delivered the sofas today, and guess what, no table! We've called, flipped out, and finally gotten them to give us some kind of compensation (they haven't worked out what it will be yet, but I don't have much hope). Too much work and worry. We thought if we followed up on everything, we'd be fine. Clearly, following up with these employees gets you nowhere!

Va

Comments

9th of Apr, 2009

My husband and I went to bob's 4 years ago to buy their BOB O PEDIC bed. While we were in the show room looking around there was a man in there who was yelling about what a rip-off the store was and the products were substandard. (this should have been our first clue of what we were getting into.) We bought the bed and had it delivered, It was as hard as a rock and one of the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept on. I called the store back and they told us that the bed needed time to "break in". we gave it another 3 months and nothing changed, so we called the store back and told them I wanted another bed. So we I took the day off of work and we made the 3 hour trip back to the store to pick out another mattress. we exchanged the BOB O PEDIC for the top of the line pillow top king they carried. For about six months it was great, but then it started to sag, (we rotated it every month) and by the end of the year I could feel the springs. I called the store again and they said they would send someone out to look at it. The man that came did some measurements with a stick and some string and said the mattress had a 2" sag and was defective. I called the store and they told us we could come down to pick out another mattress because this one could not be replaced, it had been discontinued. (I wonder why???) SO, we made the trip to the store again. they told us we could pick out any mattress that was in the same price range as the one we had before, but because the price of their "top of the line" had gone up from the year before, we would have to pay extra to replace it. so we paid the extra money and got the best on the floor. the same thing happened with with this one, sagging within six months and springs poking through within a year. so again, they sent some one out with his stick and string, only to tell us the mattress was defective. made the trip again, and again the replacement was discontinued, but we chose not to pay the extra money. just an even trade dollar for dollar. well guess what? last week made the one year for this mattress and we had them send someone out AGAIN. Now here is the best part. the man they sent did not bring anything with him, no stick, no string. The man asked my husband if he could use our broom to use as a stick, so my husband left the room to get it, then again for some string. When my husband came back to the room the man told my husband that there was a problem, he had found a few SPOTS on the mattress and it could not be replaced. my husband was just a little upset about this and told the man that the mattress had always had a protector on it and was in PERFECT condition before he had left the room. (except for the defects) the man told him that our cat had just jumped on the bed and that is where the stain must have come from. At this point my husband was really mad and went over to look at the stain. It was three little spots of chocolate. He knew at that point that the man was pulling a scam and told the man that our cat did not eat candy and we had no chocolate in the house. The man knew at that point he was not going to get away with his scam ( he might have gotten a clue by the way my husband was yelling at him) and proceeded to wipe the spots off the bed. The man very quickly called Bobs and told them that he had inspected the bed and needed to be replaced because it was defective. I had walked in the door at that point and my husband told me of the events so I got on the phone and told the woman that I wanted a new bed, I was not going to pay any extra money for it and I was not going to take another day off of work to go down there. she told me that I needed to pick one out because that one had beed discontinued, and I told her that at this point I have spent almost $3000 in replacement cost and lost time from work for this junk. just sent me another one of your defective beds and I will spend my time getting information on what I can do about this problem from my lawyer. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. IT IS A RIP OFF.