BMW / Bayerische Motoren Werke AG / extremely poor service, aggressive manager with no respect for customer

371 Ohio Road Richmond Hill ON Canada, CA

Dear BMW Group Canada,

My family has been a loyal BMW cutomer since past 12 years and have been visiting BMW Autohaus at 480 Steeles Ave W, Thornhill, ON Canada L4J 6X6. They advised me to visit BMW Autohaus since I got my first BMW. I purchased a used BMW 328xi in 2016 VIN WBAPK7C58BF084414, and have been going to BMW Autohaus Located at 371 Ohio Road, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 3A1 for all my service needs since then. In October 2016 I went there for an oil change and windshield water leaking, it had 78, 248 KMS on it when the oil change was done, then in January 2017 for coils and sparks plug replacement and then on 8th March I went in again because of a rattling noise coming from the engine when i accelerate. I was advised that the engine has to be replaced and there were metal pieces found in the filter. At this time my vehicle had 87, 059 KMS on it and it still shows 5000KMS left for next oil change. So I thought I should get a second opinion on it. I went to a certified body shop and explained what’s happening, the technician asked me if tensioner belt ever broke, I replied no, so he said he is going to check the oil filter. So he pulled out the oil cap and called me to see that the cartridge and spring were missing a plastic cap with another tiny rubber part that covers the spring. He explained to me that your vehicle has been running dry on cold start as the function of the plastic cap and that tiny rubber part is to bypass the filter when it’s required. As a result of missing parts, your engine is broken and has damaged. He suggested me to contact BMW Autohaus as I got my last oil change done from there. So I took pictures of the broken part and contacted Tina Lei (Service Advisor) BMW Autohaus and I asked her why the parts is missing from the oil filter cap. She asked me to forward the images on her e-mail as she wants to show the images to the manager. I forwarded her the images on March 17th but due to the size restriction of the attachment, she did not receive all the images. So I reduced the size of the images and sent it to her again on March 21st. Tina called me and said that I can come and see the manager on weekdays anytime from 7:30 am – 4 pm on weekdays before April as he will be in training first week of April. So I went on Friday 24th March and had a conversation with the Service Manager (Rad Zonta), Tina Lei (Service Advisor) and the Technician in the manager’s office. The Service manager is quite aggressive and needs to calm down and understand the situation first before calling me in for a discussion. He did not even know what part was missing until I showed him the picture and the technician from Autohaus explained to him in front of me what exactly is missing. This is after having a conversation for about 15 minutes. So, the manager is discussing something with me which he is not even aware of in the first place and showing aggression. The technician claims that even if a BMW is running without a filter and the missing parts (as in my car) it will run fine. He also gave me a good example of a failed motor for the VP of BMW at 7000 KMS. All I asked is that they could have recommended me a replacement for the oil cap as they did the oil change and even after that when my car came in on March 8th. No one recommended me to change the oil filter cap even though it was missing parts. I also asked the manager to see the camera footage for 8th March that will show if my oil cap was inspected properly or not because Tina mentioned to me that everything in the oil cap was inspected properly. The manager also said to me that you believe BMW is a big brand and that is why you came here so that you can get your engine replaced for free, the technician also said even if your oil cap was replaced, you would have come here for reimbursement for that. The manager has no respect for the guest, I have experienced it yesterday and I am very disappointed with his reaction to all this. He certainly needs to calm down and handle concerns as a BMW representative and not get personal by saying to the guest you are here to get your engine replaced for free. I asked them to provide me with a written document which states that a BMW engine will not be damaged if it is missing the same parts as my BMW. I was told it is not a fair request and it was denied. No recommendations were made to replace it at any time of oil change, or at the time of an inspection done on March 08th.

I have attached a voice note for the conversation that took place between Rad Zonta, Tina, technician and myself. I have also attached service records and images that I sent to Tina along with a copy of the communication through e-mail between myself and Tina. Please go through all the attachments specially THE VOICE NOTE and I hope you will have a clear picture of the situation and you can listen to the Service Manager, the way he deals aggressively with your Guests by saying he does not have a crystal ball and accuses the guests. I have 87500 KMS on my car right now and I know that a BMW engine cannot be completely broken this early if it was not due to negligence on part of BMW Autohaus which they denied based on Technicians experience and managers example of a crystal ball which he repeats several times and instead accuses me for losing that part. Please look in to this matter and let me know if you need any more information. Thank you kindly.

Sincerely,

Amit Arora
E-mail: amit.[protected]@yahoo.ca

• Updated by amit1984, Mar 26, 2017

The voice note could not be uploaded due to the format issue. If someone requires it. Please let me know and I will forward it. Thanks

Am