Bluegreen Resorts / almost a sucker

I was at an art fair with my daugther (2 yrs old). While we were walking around, the booth attendees for some vacation sweepstakes saw my daughter and used their "spinning wheel" of prizes to lure my daughter over. They were super friendly, shoved a sign-up card into my hands and said fill it in. I'm usually leery of signing up for anything but stupidly I did this time thinking, "heck, it's not like I'll win anything anyway, then they'll just forget about me and I can go on my way." They let me spin the wheel and got a cheap prize - a bead necklace.

A month later my husband gets a call from this guy saying that I won actually won the 4 free vacation tickets to anywhere, even to Europe. My husband told him to call me personally. Meanwhile he informed me of the call. My sister who happened to be standing there listening asked me where the presentation was going to be held...she had already been to one and warned me it was about timeshare sales. Not even 5 minutes later, I get a call from the same guy who spoke to my husband. He quickly gave me his pitch on all the prizes I would get but my only obligation is to attend the 90 minute presentation. He was flirty just like one mentioned in some of the other complaints. He said the name of his company so fast I couldn't remember it. I started asking if this was timeshare related, what obligations did I have if I accepted the tickets, why did they need my credit card. All I got in response was deflect, deflect, deflect. .."No ma'am, this is not a timeshare sale, we are not a resort, you don't have to buy anything, all you need to do is show up for the 90 minute presentation." Shortly after that I did get a second call from a no BS lady who confirmed all my information. It sounded like she even struggled to say "have a nice day". I kept thinking, "okay, I should trust my sister" but the offer sounded SO good.

In the morning, still undecided, I decided to read the confirmation letter and search the internet. At the bottom of the letter it clearly says "THIS ADVERTISING MATERIAL IS BEING USED FOR THE PURPOSE OF SOLICITING THE SALE OF TIMESHARE INTERESTS." I also found all the complaints on this site. Needless to say, it's 45 minutes from my presentation, and I'M NOT GOING.

I'm sure I'll be getting a few more calls, we already got one this morning. Many thoughts are going through my head right now, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't", "you don't get something for nothing" and "NEVER GET SUCKERED TO FILL IN A SWEEPSTAKES FORM AGAIN".

Ma

Comments

• Ed
      27th of Feb, 2008

I am so glad i decided to look up BlueGreen before i showed up for the "90 min presentation". Thank you so much for sharing your experience and warning the rest of us. What's so funny is they ask you why you won't reschedule and they know fully well they are scamming you.

2nd of Apr, 2008

I'm at a loss - am I just stupid or am I reading that most people are wimps. DUH! What's wrong with a timeshare presentation? Doesn't anyone know how to say NOOOOOOO I'm not interested. They don't want your first born child - the don't want your Soul - they just want to see you squirm for a while. I love to make Salesmen mad - my wife hates it.

• Mi
      11th of May, 2008

My husband and I just visited the Big Cedar Lodge in Ridgedale, MO. Very nice for couples as well as families, something for everyone.
    We went as guests of BlueGreen owners (my in-laws) who joined in 2006. They are very skeptical people and we were surprised when they told us about buying into this timeshare program. So far they have not had any complaints about their experiences with bluegreen resorts and their other bonus programs. They already have used it several times, and not had any problems with making reservations, yet.
    We (my husband, our 5 year old son, and myself) signed up to hear their presentation (via Bass Pro Shop) in Springfield, MO. "For FREE GIFT 150.00 bass pro gift cards". We did pay a 25.oo non-refundable fee and was told that we would have to stay at lease 90 minutes to get the FREE GIFT.
    Since we were already staying as guests of property owners we were considered "owner referred". The salesman told us they could offer us a better deal, but it was still out of our price range. When we declined he was surprised, but was still very polite and respectful. We did not feel the highpressure isssued that others have experienced. When we were taking to the area to receive our free gifts, our salesman told us about the 'sampler' package. He explained everything in detail from "We had 12 months to decided to change our mind about becoming owners to all the blackout dates, etc. before we agreed. We did agree to the sampler. I pray that we will have a more pleasant experience than others have had.
    By the way we have been to others timeshare presentations both were in Gatlinburg. Said no to both, out worst was 'Fairview'. The guy tried giving us a sob story and then brought in a manager and made us feel like we didn't want to give our family nice vacations. I believe all timeshare presentations have a negative rap at some point.
    However, after reading these comments I will reconsider my thoughts of being an owner.

• Th
      17th of Jul, 2008

man, that sounds horrible. i hope you didnt get charged a bunch of money for skipping the presentation