Bill Me Later / Exorbitant Late Fees etc.

I used Bill Me Later to purchase a holiday gift in the amount of $44 from Wal-Mart. Did not receive the customary paper statement by mail from BML the following month and was therefore late in making the payment. A $9 late fee plus interest was added to the account. When, another month later, the bill came to my attention, BML had added an additional $19 late fee plus interest because the the bill was now in the over-$50 bracket.

I called the company and noted that California, the state of my residence, has usury laws that are intended to address unethical and exorbitant charges such as those applied to my account. The customer service rep was clearly accustomed to dealing with disgruntled customers such as myself, and kissing them off. She did not hesitate to close my account upon request but showed no interest or inclination in adjusting the fees.

Comments

• Ri
      17th of Apr, 2007

Tim is correct. Bill Me Later is not a good company to deal with. Save yourself the trouble and use any other method of payment available to you.

• Ca
      20th of Sep, 2007

Yes my dealings with Bill me later have me awful... for some reason they had two accounts under my name and on one account had only my apt number for an address so I was never getting the bill for that account. I was getting calls from someone saying they were from bill me later telling me my account was in collections. I had just paid my bill. I called Bill me later and the guy told me not to give out any info about my account. I kept getting calls and kept hanging up. Last night i get another call so afetr hanging up on the girl I called and this is when she gave me the info about my two accounts. I was so pissed off and she didn't understand why I didn't know I had two accounts and kept treating me like I was stupid. So I started yelling at her and she told me not to yell at her... then asked why I was calling. This made me even madder because she wasn't getting it acting like its my fault. I told her over and over again and told her I was not going to pay the late fees and that since my brother is a lawyer i would gladly take them to court. In the end she took the late fees off and then asked if I would like to pay my bill with a check or credit card. Well there is no way in hell I was going to do that so I told her to send the bill...I had to tell her this several times and remind her that I had no trust in Bill Me Later what so ever. I didn't want them screwing it all up again. I don't even think she was listening or even trying to understand what I was saying. At the end of the conversation she asked me if I understood now. She was treating me like I was the one at fault. Bill Me Later is the worst. Why the hell would have two accounts. What I can't figure out is why the hell they couldn't figure out when my bill kept going back to them that there is my original account with the same last name and my whole address on it.

• Cj
      12th of Dec, 2007

I also agree they are terrible and I don't recommend them to anyone.

• Hb
      10th of Dec, 2009

I’ve read several stories about consumers being charged inflated finance charges and interest fees – some exceeding an APR of more than 100 percent.

These charges are unfair and illegal according to California’s consumer protection laws. I work with a law firm investigating Bill Me Later for illegal billing practices and they want to hear from California residents taken by this scheme who may be interested in participating in a case. Share your story at http://www.hbsslaw.com/bill_me_later.htm

Good luck!