Bernhardt Furniture Company / Leather furniture is peeling

Winter Park Fl, United States Review updated:

5/16/2014 - DO NOT BUY BERNHARDT junk!!! We purchased an expensive Bernhardt leather sofa and ottoman from Haverty's in Altamonte
Springs, Fl just over 8years ago. This sofa is in our front room and
almost never gets any use. I just noticed that the leather is peeling
and cracking on the seat cushions. Realizing that all warranties had
expired, I called Haverty's to see what could be done to repair the cushions, but was told to contact an independent company that reupholsters furniture for any recommendations. I even asked for a simple phone number
for Bernhardt but was told that they only had a post office box address.
Reading all the complaints on line re:Bernhardt leather peeling, I think the problem is a major manufacturing issue and Bernhardt should be required to do a recall for that issue (as well as other common complaints). Unless Bernhardt suddenly changes and offers a resolution for their many problems (I doubt it) I would never, never, never, buy any of thier prodcuts again. And now I wouldn't even recommend Haverty's if they can't provide any more help than I received or even a customer support phone number for their vendors. D Mccartney 5/16/2014

Da
May 16, 2014

Comments

• Mk
      May 16, 2014

I remember hearing that a lot of companies had problems like this so the government said that they had to start labeling furniture different. It has to be called "LEATHER COATED" furniture or something like that. (Not sure if this is the correct label)
    That said, 8 years before a problem?? I do NOT think they would help you either way.

• Do
      May 17, 2014

Major consumer problem? Put a sticker on it! That's your government at its best!
    Seriously, leather dries out and cracks. It needs an application of leather conditioner occasionally, just like your skin does. After eight years of neglect, you are out of luck.