Bell Mobility / $200 fee for being told to leave early

1 British Columbia, Canada Review updated:

Anyone thinking of going to Bell for their cell phone, this is a warning.

After 8 years with Bell Cellular, having constant drop outs, and the odd extra charge for no reason, I decided to leave.

Calling their "helpful reps", I was advised that I had just a few days over a month to go on my plan.
They told me that when I move my number over (port it out), that that would count as the 1 month notice. (so no matter what I have to pay an extra month for nothing)
That is bad enough, but wait...check this out...

The rep told me that, if I ported out one month early, I would be paying the final month anyway, so I could do it early. I took her advice. I WAS TOLD TO LEAVE EARLY...and because I was paying for the last month, it made sense.

I left 24 days early, thus I will owe one month, and 6 days ...right?

I just got a final bill from Bell, they had tacked on an extra $200 early cancellation fee on top of the extra month I did not use.

I did what she advised, and now have to pay over $200 for doing so. Do they do this to make that extra little last $$. Tons of bad reports about Bell online. Some people getting charged $400, http://www.psyc3d.com/content/beware-of-bell-mobility

The Bell rep and manager on the phone yesterday were no help.

It is now in the hands of the Better Business Bureau. Wish me luck.
Any lawyers out there...I am losing sleep over this...

Before you even think of going to Bell, do some research online to keep yourself from getting overcharged by this horrible company.

St

Comments

• Cr
      24th of Sep, 2011

you can get any fee or charges waived by asking to speak to CRA, even if they are valid usage charges. You may not get CRA if you ask for a supervisor, that might only get you a more experienced representative...just keep asking to escalate until you get to CRA to get anything waived. they can even send you out a free demo phone sometimes.