Belk Department Store - Columbus, MS / no apology for the rudeness!

While on my lunch break today, I decided to do a little shopping at Belk department store in Columbus, MS. I walked in the store with MY pair of sunglasses on my head. While trying on clothes, I took my sunglasses off and left them in the dressing room. When I realized they were missing, I went back to retrieve them and someone was occupying that room. She stayed in there for quite awhile so I finally decided I would just buy a new pair. I picked out a pair and while walking to the check out, I decided I would check one last time to see if the lady was out of the dressing room and get MY sunglasses. The room was empty and they were still there so I decided I would not purchase the new pair. I was in such a hurry to get back to work, that I picked up MY sunglasses, left the other ones in the dressing room and proceeded to leave. I was chased out by security and accused of shoplifting. I told her the situation and we went to the dressing room where I showed her the sunglasses that were left behind. She still was not convinced. I explained to her that MY sunglasses were Maui Jim’s and that they did not even sell that brand. She made me take off my sunglasses, inspected them for five minutes and finally gave them back to me. She never apologized, said thank for your time or anything. I completely understand that I should have returned the sunglasses to the proper spot and that it may have looked suspicious and she had to check it out, that is her job, but after she found out that I was not shoplifting and that it was misunderstanding, I feel I should have gotten an apology for her rudeness. She was very rude and I will no longer be shopping at Belk and I have canceled my charge card!!!

• Helena _cell's Response, Mar 05, 2017

Look at above complaint.

Comments

• Ms
      22nd of Jul, 2007

First of all, you made yourself look very suspicious. Fitting rooms are where departments get hit by shoplifters. You went in with sunglasses and clothes, then you came out. On your second trip, you went to retrieve your old sunglasses. You leave and go get a brand new pair of sunglasses and go inside the fitting room. Finally, you leave the store with sunglasses. No one knows you simply just left with your original pair of sunglasses. Your behavior was that of a person that shoplifts. I believe you had no intentions of stealing. This situation sounds very embarrassing to say the least. Personally, I would have never brought their sunglasses into the fitting room. That is why there are mirrors on the rack. You automatically sent out a red flag when you took them in the fitting room. I love to shop, but you have to play by their rules too. Communication still goes a long way. So, go reopen your account and don't worry about this little bump in the road. I will not be the last.

• Je
      24th of Sep, 2007

I think you did the right thing by canceling your card. You probably would have felt alot better if the person had apoloized. The two way mirror clearly showed that you were not stealing . I have often went in the dressing room with sunglassess in my hand because I didnot want to put them in my purse because the fear of them thinking I am stealing. I think you did the right thing.

4th of Nov, 2007

First of all, I work in large store where I am Security/Loss Prevention, the person that stopped you should have made sure which sunglasses were in the fitting room. That was a stupid mistake to make. I hope you filed a complaint, because if I were to make a "Bad Stop" like that in MY store, I would be fired.

• Pa
      4th of Nov, 2007

The Loss Prevention agent missed up, and will most likely loss her job. You can also take this to court...

21st of Nov, 2007

People are human beings, they are going to make mistakes, get over it!

• Ro
      7th of Dec, 2007

I agree with the comment "people are human beings" security is not an easy job. It will, in the end save you money! Cancel what you like and just move on.

• Ki
      16th of Dec, 2007

Yes, that was wrong of them not to appologize, but maybe the woman felt somewhat embarrassed. She should have appologized, but you did somewhat make it look suspisious and all. But it is over with and done with now, and look back at it someday and laugh about it.!!

• La
      12th of Feb, 2008

I too, have found the employees at Belks in Vicksburg to be rude, that is when you can locate one! On several occasions I have gone in to make a purchase and have to track a clerk down and have to practically beg them to take my money. One time I did locate 2 clerks, but they were having a conversation about boyfriends and were ignoring me. I put my selection down on the counter and they still continued to talk so I told them loudly that when they were through with their important conversation, they could put the merchandise up. I left and have not returned. The store has really gone down since the McRae family left.

• Gr
      26th of Feb, 2008

You idiot! You should have let them arrest you, then sue them for mental stress and false arrest. They would have settled out of court for about $50K. But then again, you live in Mississippi, oh well.

8th of Mar, 2008

I live in NC, but the Belks here in Brevard is terrible...I don't know how many times I have given them another chance just to be disappointed once again. Their items are good...But trying to get some on to take your money is almost imposible...I don't know how many times I have had an arm load of clothes stood in a line, and just left the clothes because even with a line there still wasn't a cashier...
    I thought it would of gotten better when they went from everyone checking out at the front door, back to department check out....NO but when their only competition is Walmart ....oh well that is why I do walmart and make a lot of my own clothes...

• Ka
      8th of Apr, 2008

I agree that the loss prevention person could have handled the situation better, but so could you. In case you've never worked in retail sales, you wouldn't understand that it is extremely rude to leave items in the dressing room. Do you have any idea how many miles the workers walk every day putting away things you "don't have time" to return to their proper place. Some spoiled brats not only leave things in the dressing rooms, they don't even put them back on hangers. So, I guess your little inconvenience was trivial compared to those inflicted on the many hard-working sales people in Belk's and other retail stores. FYI, I don't work at Belk's, and I do think some of their employees are rude. You could have saved yourself and the Belk's employee a lot of time if you'd merely taken the store's sunglasses back to the proper location.

• Sr
      10th of Apr, 2008

I just got back from Pinehurst, N. C. and quite successfully shopped the Belk's women's clothing sale while there. I was very happy with the items I bought and, upon my return to California, decided I would like to buy an additional item in a mix-and-match clothing line I'd purchased.

I called the women's department and asked if it was possible to do a "charge/send" and the woman on the phone couldn't have been nastier. She said, "A WHAT??!" Then very exasperatedly asked, "Well, what CHARGE card?" I told her Visa, and she replied in quite a hostile tone, "NO, it would NOT be possible!" A simple, "I'm sorry Ma'am we don't offer that service here but thank you for thinking of Belk's" would have much better represented their store instead of the gratuitous rudeness I experienced.

Regarding the dressing rooms in this location, no one was monitoring them and they were all full of clothes people had left. I can't imagine they would even have noticed the sunglasses incident in this particular store.

• Gi
      11th of Apr, 2008

What are you doing dumping crap in the dressing room in the first place. I think you should be aware that that the act of leaving clothes and other items in the dressing rooms for hardworking people to clean up after your self centered a$$ is absolutely rude in itself. People who work in retail stores work incredibly hard to keep the store presentable for people like you to to make it impossible for them to do their job which is helping customers. They do not get positive recognition or any extra pay or bonuses for being custodial employees that the store is too cheap to pay for. They get those things by helping customers. That is what their pay is based on and it also determines whether they get a raise and in Belks case it also determines if the sales associate gets a decrease in pay. YES, they drop hourly wages on employees who are doing a ridiculous amount of tasks away from the register and away from customers. How many of you have ever had a job in retail where dressing rooms are involved? For those of you who have no clue, it can be frusterating and sometimes even outright dehumanizing. The public does not have a morsel of respect for store dressing rooms. I have seen it all from used condoms in the mens dressing room to countless turds and pi$$ puddles in the floor of the ladies dressing rooms. I have even seen used bloody femine products adhered to the walls with a multitude of wrongside out bathing suits in the floor under it. This is what HUMAN BEINGS who work in retail endure so I hope this gives you a little insight to practice a little more decency. As for being under suspicion for stealing sunglasses, you brought it on yourself. You made yourself look suspicious. Maybe you did'nt realize it at the time but what many people don't know is that sales people are under pressure to also be the Loss Prevention associates that, again, THE STORE IS TOO CHEAP TO PAY FOR. Although I have to agree that bad customer service is not excuseable however the issue brought up by someone else of NO customer service can be explained. The existing sales staff have NO back up of fellow employees to assist the volume of reasonably and justifyably angry customers who are stuck in a perpetual line. This is not the sales staff's fault but the fault of management and the "efficiecy expert" personnel at the corporate center who, AGAIN, IS TOO CHEAP TO PAY FOR. My Point is Big Business is GREEDY and when it is this GREEDY everyone down the food chain pays dearly. Don't take it up with sales associates, they don't have any control over this. Take it up with the proper channels at the corporate center. I assure you they won't listen but they might at least give you a gift card or something just to keep you as a customer . Worth a try.

21st of Apr, 2008

I think you should have thought about how it would look if they were watching you take sunglasses into the dressing room. And, since when do you not care about your Maui Jim's and just go off and leave them to buy a cheap pair? I have some and they didn't come cheap! HOWEVER, I was in the Columbus Mississippi store with my mother and granddaughter on Saturday. I lost my cell phone there and realized it when I got to the car.

So, the three of us returned to the store immediately and went to the counter where my purchase was made and asked if they had found my phone. Nobody had seen it so we looked in the dressing room with no luck there either. I left my mother' s phone number and asked them to please call if the phone was found. I had just bought it a month ago and actually spent a little more for a better phone to sync with my car. Well, by the time we drove to my mother and dad's house customer service had already called and had found the phone.

I called them right back but within 10 minutes of calling to say they found it, the phone had been given to someone else! I called customer service today (Monday) and talked to the manager. She checked with the people involved and they said that was ANOTHER phone. All this within an hour!! A coincidence? I think not. The moral to the story... stay out of Mississippi.

• Bi
      21st of Apr, 2008

Moral of the story... Keep up with your stuff.

• Ed
      30th of Apr, 2008

I shop at Belk in Chatta TN and i agree with the folks to keep up with your stuff. Are you 5 yrs old? I normally have a good experience shopping there. I chalk up any bad customer service with poor education and training and i wouldn't cancel my card or shopping there as they have really quality products when they have their sales so you are missing out and cutting your own nose off as they don't miss your little bit of change i guarantee.. bet you go back and shop there girlfriend, especially if you only have a Walmart in MS..

8th of May, 2008

You should have put them in your purse, i had a x friend who did shop lift, she was caught that lady was doing her jod.

• Ba
      18th of May, 2008

I work at a belk store and I suggest any stupid a$$ that cant keep up with their stuff to please go shop at JC Penny's or SEARs so I don't have to deal with your stupidity. You have no idea how many times people wander up to me and act like it is MY responsibility to find jewelry, phones, wallets, credit cards, drivers license, passport, baby pacifiers, babies, and sometimes even their own a$$.I don't like my job to be interupted by the NOTHING that customers come out of NOWHERE with. Go find your own A$$!

• El
      5th of Jun, 2008

After reading all of the posts I would like to say to the sunglass woman: why would you expect an apology for your stupidity? YOU should have apologized for putting those people through UNNECESSARY STRESS. Yes, you should have cancelled your card so that not another poor unsuspecting salesperson has to deal with you EVER AGAIN. Sorry, but that's the way I see it.

Also, after reading some of the post by others educating us on what salespeople go through on a daily basis I just want say that I will absolutely make every effort to be a better customer and NOT leave my clothes in the dressing room if it makes your life as a salesperson easier. I also promise to put things back where I got them from. I didn't realize... but now that I do, I promise to do better.

• Lo
      11th of Jun, 2008

I work for Belk.. I don't normally complain! Mainly because, I love making customers feel good. When a customers smiles at me, it makes me feel good! I don't care if your white, black, yellow, or green. ... I love just about everyone! You give me respect, I give you respect!

I work in the Mens department! BEST department EVER! I never have to put up a lot of clothes. NEVER! Men, know what they want... (well..IMO when it comes to buying at least..lol) If Belk don't have it? They are usually like, okay thanks BYE! lol

Not some women! I don't understand it!!! I had to cover in the shoe department one day.. & Omg!!! When I go in a store... I know what I want, you have... I will buy it!! I'm like the guys, you don't have it? Aiiiight PEACE!

Not the women who come in Belk... Like I was saying, I had to cover the shoe department one day... For the first time, in years... I wanted to walk out! I was at the register, and this CUSTOMER walked up to me and ask me Could I get her, 3 different sandles in a size nine. I was like yes m'am, I'll be right back. I brought them out, and she had 4 more in her hand... I said, okay I'll be right back! When I came back this HEFFA, had picked up 2 more sandles. In my mind, I'm thinking this lady is on crack! lol I told her okay... but before I went back, I asked her was she finish with the first 7 ? She was like, "Oh no, I like to try all my shoes on at the same time!" ..I just ...I just didn't know what to say! I went back in the stockroom to check and see if we had her sizes... We only had a 61/2 .. I came out and told her. DO YOU KNOW WHAT this LADY said?

She said, bring me that 61/2! How in the world, do you go from a 9 to a 61/2??? After all that, she was just like.. OH WELL it wasn't my day, Nothing worked... and she walked off. No thank you... No nothing... She left all the paper and the shoes scattered across the shoe department. I swear if I had a BRICK...Y'ALLLLLLLL!!! ***SIGH****

I realize that I chose this profession so I don't expect ANYone to come to a store and start striaighten things. BUT what I do expect, is GROWN men and women to PICK UP after themselves.

------------------------

Sorry... EVERYONE! I had to get that out!

As for the person, who was accused of shoplifting? Sorry that happen to you. Regardless, of what happen... IF you did not steal anything... That lady should have said, sorry! Next time, put your sunglasses in your purse girl! They be watching... Plus they have to catch 1 theif for every 40 hours they work!

Belk Loss prevention be on the GRIND! LOL!