BB&T and SunTrust / unauthorised debit from my accounts

United States, Virginia, Berryville Review updated:
BB&T and SunTrust
At SunTrust right before Christmas I had saved and saved, and deposited money for me to go shopping for my wife and 3 small kids presents. In June we lost our home to foreclosure (and it was only 60 days late). We had a 2nd with SunTrust. Well we had no money to pay the 2nd so I let them know I was fileing bankruptcy. Instead, SunTrust wiped out my checking acct without notice. And NO ONE ever told me they could just take money. They left me with $100 for 4 people's christmas. I made it work but how is this practice legal? How is this consumer protection? If I choose not to pay a debt - it is my money and I can do what I want to with it. I immediately closed the acct. At BB&T - I was in dispute on a old checking acct that I oredered to be closed yet BB&T allowed charges to continue. I was in the hopital 3 times in a row so 3 months went by before I discovered they had allowed $700 in stuff to come through and charged me $700 in fees. This was in dispute and instead - they found a 15 year old account that was my grandmothers. They took $900 out of a 94 year old lady's account because my name was a beneficiary!!! Or a secondary owner. That account was opened with another bank that was taken over by BB&T. They cannot provide me with proof that I agreed to these terms. I guess they can just make up their own rules and if you keep your account you are forced to agree with it. How is this consumer protection?

N  26th of Feb, 2009 by
The same thing happened to me. I am also with BB&T bank and they just took 5400 out of my account. My exhusband filed forclosure on a home, and i was the secondary on the second mortgage. I never recieved a letter or anything. I told them since the payments hadn't been paid in four months that I was more then happy to pay the bill and any late fees to get it up to date, but the only thing they can tell me is since the first mortgage is in foreclosure they will have to see if it is even worth it for them! How can they do that! I understand the second mortgage, and I was even willing to pay even though I never got a notice, certified mail, or even a phone call for that amount. Now my account is in the account is in the negative and they don't even want to negotiate.

SunTrust Banks Logo SunTrust Banks