Bank Of America / fraud/overdraft protection

1 CA, United States Review updated:

I have had an account with bank of america since 2005. I had gone on a trip to disneyland and charged it to my card. For 5 days after I checked my account to see if it had gone through and it had not. I went ahead and charged my card 4 times and checked my online banking at 5pm and the transaction still had not posted I then checked at 10pm and still no sign of the disneyland post. I then the next day used my card again for 5 more transactions and got declined for the last one. I went into the bank and was told I would have 3 overdrafts because of the disneyland transaction that had gone through the day before. I asked how that could be when I did infact check my account at 10 pm after the cloes of the days trasaction.(Their cut off is 8pm any given day except sundays will post on monday.) She told me the charges would be reversed since I am a valued customer but it would have to be done the next day since it had not shown up on my account yet and I should deposit the money for the items still peding to cover those. I did.

I then checked my account the next day and found the overdrafts went through first before any transactions and it caused 6 more overdrafts as a result. I called BofA and talked to a customer service reps who sounded more like he should be on the street dealing drugs than talking to customers, slang and all. I asked to talk to his manager and was transfered to a guy who told me i had a spending problem and its not their fault they are not the ones who charge and charge with no regard and he had already spoken to his associate and its not their error. I brought up the fact that no transactions will be posted untill the next day per their policy if it posts after 8pm that day and I had looked at my account at 10 pm and it was not there and I was told I was a valued customer and these charges would be reversed. He said there was nothing he would do to help me and again I "Have a spending problem." I asked to talk to his manager and he placed me on hold and transfered me to a full mailbox which leads me to believe he was not a manager at all.
I wrote to the complaints department and to the customer service and was given a generated email that probibly goes out to everyone.
*********************************

Thank you for your inquiry dated 3/12/09 regarding Customer Service. We
will be happy to assist you.

While we regret to hear of the experience you have described with Bank
of America, we are glad that you have brought this to our attention. Our
commitment is to provide the highest level of service possible. These
standards demand that we treat you and your requests with understanding,
integrity and respect.

You are an important customer to us and we look forward to your
continued relationship with Bank of America. You can be assured that we
will make every effort to avoid a similar situation going forward.

Our records indicate that several transactions were presented against
insufficient funds in your account on 3/10/09 and 3/11/09; thus, causing
an overdraft in your account. Overdraft fees were assessed based on this
information.

To avoid these fees in the future, please review the account records to
ensure that sufficient funds are available prior to issuing a check,
negotiating purchases, or any other transaction that will be processed
against the available balance. This includes ensuring that all deposited
items, whether direct deposit, transfers, or personal checks have been
posted to the account and are reflected in the available balance, and
that there are enough funds to cover outstanding checks.

We value you as a customer and appreciate your business. If we may be of
further assistance, please contact us again by e-mail. Thank you for
choosing Bank of America.

Sincerely,

Doris P*****
Bank of America

Get free e-mail or text message alerts when important activity occurs on
your account. Simply go to the Alerts tab in Online Banking and select
the alert messages you want to receive. Please note, alerts received as
text messages on your mobile access device may incur a charge from your
mobile access service provider.

Message text: This banking institution has really given itself a bad
name with me. I have banked with you since 2005 and I will never bank
with you again or pay all these overdrafts you have posted to my
account. I had checked my account as of the 9th of March and I didn’t
see the Disneyland charge post to my account. I therefore did not
deposit additional money as I thought I was good with the money I had in
there to cover my charges. I then found out the next day that after 10
pm the Disneyland charge had gone through and made 3 overdraft charges
to the smaller amounts that had already been pending to my account. I
deposited money to cover the additional charges not including the
overdrafts because I was told by a branch banker that those charges
would be removed as a one time grace. I then called and was told no that
the charges would not be reversed and I would get 6 more on top of that
because I made charges to the account. So a total of 9 $35.00 charges
for one thing t!
hat did not show on the online banking that I checked and was not there
the night before.
As I understood your policy to be that all charges before 8 pm would be
reflected that day and all charges after 8 pm on that day would be
posted the following day I figured checking it at 10pm and it was not
reflected so it would not be posted until the next day so I could
therefore make a deposit the next day.
I think what you are doing is fraud. I understand I should have money in
my account to cover charges but When that account was checked on and I
was told the next day the charges would be reversed if I called the two
things that should be upheld should be in fact upheld.

Also I did call on the 11th when the charges posted and there was some
gangster sounding guy that was a manager that was to transfer me to his
manager and gave me a voicemail that was full I think the guy did this
because he was not a real manager. He didnt care what I had to say he
told me these charges where my own fault and I should not spend so
careless and so much. I told him I was not being careless I was checking
my account to make sure everything was in fact okay because my husband
was sick and I had to attend to two kids.
I thought this bank cared and I loved banking here until now. I never
thought I would have a bunch of rude unprofessional customer service
reps.

************************************

So she needless to say never answered my questions and didnt read my email since it had nothing to do with transactions that posted on the 9th. She talked about the transactions that had gone through on the 1oth and 11th that where a domino effect since the one on the 9th went through past 10pm.

These people do not even play by their own rules! Frauds!

Comments

• Fa
      16th of Mar, 2009

I'm constantly amazed at the fact that you went and spent all that money and didn't think, "hmm... maybe it's in my PENDING TRANSACTIONS part of my online banking." or maybe you forgot to ask yourself, "Hmm... maybe they'll put it through tomorrow." But no... you said, "Hey, it's not on there, let me go spend some more money." First, items NEVER immediately post to any bank's accounts unless they're done at the bank; 3rd party merchants never go through immediately - they go into your pending items. Secondly, you do have a spending problem if you've maxed out your card in one day because who goes off and puts a vacation on their card and then forgets about it when they go to spend another thousand dollars or whatever?!? Come on, if you don't have the money, don't spend it. Finally, you can't hold the bank accountable for not giving you every refund you want back. In order for the world's financial system to NOT collapse, banks have to turn a profit - get over that fact now. The bank didn't turn it's back, you did when you decided to go out and blow out an entire credit card.

You should always read your disclosures when you open new accounts. You should also not spend more than you have - it's called debt and that's how America got so screwed up in the first place. Finally, look CLOSER in your online banking - never take it at face value. No, I don't work for BofA but it's the same at any bank.

• Ri
      8th of Aug, 2009

Ive had similar occurances like this happen (without the trip to Disney Land). Ive had the worst time banking at this establishment and plan to go elsewhere as of tomorrow morning. I havent been able to keep my account in the positive no matter what I do or how closely I watch my account online. Its as though they always find ways to make sure Im overdrawn somehow. This payday is by $330 dollars but its been as much as $500. I very rarely get to keep even half my paychecks. Ive always thought its my fault because Im not good with money but lately Ive been being extra careful with my spending and they still wind up shafting me by several hundred dollars. Im also noticing they have been "rearranging" my account in whatever way benefits them. For instance I had 3 small transactions using my bank card that had all cleared according to the online banking. But then a $77 check came in a couple days later and I went to look online at my account to find that suddenly things were switched. Those 3 checks were no longer cleared. They put the $77 dollar check through first which ate up all $68 I had left in the account, THEN ran my other 3 transactions through and took 4 OD fees rather than the 1 they would have originally taken. I plan to go in to talk to them about this tomorrow morning but Im sure they will come up with some sort of justification for it and then send me on my way just like always. This time Im not coming back though.