Banfield Pet Hospital / from tooth cleaning to dislocated hip

It's quite a simple and heartbreaking story. I took my pet (details withheld due to pending litigation) in for a simple tooth cleaning. Banfield Pet Hospital sent her home with a dislocated hip.

They refuse to acknowledge they may have done anything wrong, or were in any way negligent and/or simply unobservant.

The total charges for this simple tooth cleaning came to over $1, 000, but lucky me...with the Wellness plan I "only" had to pay $350.

The real vet I took my pet to informed me that a normal tooth cleaning on a small pet is actually around $150 to $200 at any reputable vet office.

Tomorrow my pet will be sedated in order for her new, caring doctor to take the appropriate x-rays to determine the extent of damage and if/when my pet may have to have hip surgery.

I will continue to pursue Banfield Pet Hospital in order that no other pet will have to go through what mine is going through right now.

Banfield Pet Hospital does not care for your pet, or for your feelings when your pet is injured by their negligence and ignorance and stupidity.

I will continue to spread the word regarding these facts and about why I hate Banfield Pet Hospital and why you should, too.

Comments

• Sy
      22nd of Feb, 2010

I would like to start by saying I am very sorry for your kid with the dislocated hip. Poor thing.
    As far as the dental cleaning issue. I hear this time and again. Dental cleanings are anywhere from $150-450 dollars in this area. Just for the cleaning. That includes bloodwork more often than not, anesthesia of some kind, and the cleaning procedure (scaling/polishing/ect). This does not include pain medication, tooth extractions, additional equipement or additional anesthesia for extractions, mass removals, injections, or other care. This is a procedure that can have many things added on. The only reason I can think of for a $200 Banfield dental cleaning to be jacked up to $1000 is if other services were being provided at the same time. Banfield is a corporation so one hospitals prices will be similar to anothers. In Oregon a straight cleaning is $190. On a wellness plan your office visit is covered otherwise there is a charge for that too. Sounds like there were other things done along with the cleaning to make it $1000. Any person who has ever gone to the dentist knows extractions arent cheap. Regardless I know how hard it is to want to take care of your pet and have complications, and I am so sorry. Its especially hard when you think someone is to blame. You have my sympathies during this trying time.