Banfield Hospital / was gonna keep my puppy

1 posner parkDavenport, FL, United States Review updated:

04/13/2009 My fiance came home from work while I was at the airport dropping my nephew off. He called and said that our 13 week teacup yorkie was laying on his back with his legs stiff in the air. He then proceeded to bring our puppy up to Banfield Vet located inside of pet smart. I met him there shortly after they had taken Max (our puppy) back. They called me back and told me they want to try to save our dog but needed to do blood work. The cost of that was to be over 400 dollars.. We explained that we dont have that kind of money and that was the start of the visit. They then explained to us that our puppy may have liver shunt. Which if he did have it that he would need a 2000. dollar surgery.And that was not even going to guarantee his life. The Vet told us that this puppy was suffering and we needed to make a decision quick. We had no other choice but to put the puppy to sleep. SO we thought. After deciding to do that the nurse came out with a 234. dollar bill to put Max to sleep. We then told her we didnt have that kind of money either. She rolled her eyes and went back in with the bill. Came back out and said we can do it free but you will need to sign him over to us. WE struggled with the decision for sometime and then decided that it would be best. It was going to cost a lot of money to keep this poor puppy up to par. We walked in the back and said our goodbyes. Both distraut.We walked out to our vehicles and was heading home. The lady from Banfield came out and asked us to come back in and that the Doctor wanted to speak with us. This is AFTER we signed the papers to have Max put to sleep. I can't remember what exactly he wanted but to throw more bills in our face.
Shelby a lady that works in Pet Smart came out and handed us this number for a lady named Joanne Courture. She is the director of Li'l lapdog rescue of Central Fl. She came rushing up quick. this lady was soon going to save our puppy. Shelby came out in the parking lot to explain what the nurse was saying at Banfield Vet. After the Vet nurse came out to get us, Shelby a Pet smart employee asked her what was going on for she has seen us in there before. the nurse said " Well they can't afford to get the puppy better so I guess I will be taking him home!
My jaw just hit the ground! I just signed to have my puppy whom we all love so much to sleep and thats not what they are even planning on doing?? Who gave this woman the athority to keep my puppy?? And it's to my understanding I am not the only one this has happened to. Fortunatly for us we were able to go in and get Max and hand him over to Joanne so she could get him the help he needed. The nurse's jaw dropped when i went in and told her we were taking our puppy. Max's condition is still just stable but he is in great hands. After trying to rip me off with a 400 bill not including a 2000. surgery bill. These people have played with my emotions. They look down on you because you can't shell out that kind of money and then want to tell you that they are gonna put your dog to sleep and slip him out the back door?? We have a full bread yorkie. akc registered. and this lady saw that as a money making opportunity. I lknow that the pet smart employee will talk as well as the gentleman that brought his puppy there too. And i hope if you help me with this many others will speak up as well and we can to stop this from happening to other pet owners.
I was told that if I complained to corperate from shelby the pet smart employee, that they will just shrug it off and never investigate the matter. The office manager at the Vet will be sent a letter and they will lay low for awhile. Then when nobody is looking they will try to screw another average working American family. That is suffering with the economy crisis we have going on.

Mi

Comments

25th of May, 2009

You know you should have been concerned about your pet. You were not able to pay for the surgery, or the euthanaisa. So some one from the clinic was going to take your dog and they were going to pay to get it fixed. What do you think they should have paid to fix your dog.

Its called Responsibility, Don't get a dog if your not prepared to pay the bills that comes with it. I shure hope your kid dont need some major surgery and you just are like, go and put him down. Come on. Get serious, Hospitals are only requiered to stabalize, not perform elective suregery. If you can afford a kidney transplant do you think they just say what the heck, well cover the cost. No you just dont get a new kidney. So instead of being mad that you signed your dog over to some one who was willing to pay the money that you were not, you should have been glad some one was willing to pay the money because you obviously were not willing. You got to do what you got to do. If you love your dog, then you find a way to make it happen. So quit your complaining and be happy that some one cared about your dog, We can see that you don't

• Ml
      25th of May, 2009

Well first and for most. SURE is spelt this way and not SHURE! Second, our puppy is just fine and it didn't cost us 7000 dollars..like Bandfield wanted to charge us! We didn't ask for a sick dog! So, unless you have walked a day in our shoes, I don't think you have any room to pass judgment. Thirdly, you don't know my "Kid" -you idiot! So, don't dare bring my child into this. When we brought our puppy the stupid breeder sperated him from his mother WAY 2 soon. How were we supposed know? Banfield is supposed to be a TRUSTED VET and not to go behind our backs and try to screw us! We were told the puppy couldn't be saved! He is a AKC registered Yorkie... so, they saw that as a money maker..So again please don't be so quick to judge..We saved our dog and for less than 300 bucks..Banfield is looking to rip people off. Epecially with the economy the way it is ...NOt too mention they gave our dog a medication that put him into that situation! WHEN it was NOT supposed to be givin to young puppies. Hope you had you fill with assumptions IDIOT!

• Oo
      5th of Jun, 2009

Wow, it sounds like the Banfield I go to.. They all act the same- like they don't care.

• Go
      5th of Jun, 2009

Wow Chirs, you're a real judgmental douche bag, and you can't spell. If I were you, I'd also check out the definition of "elective surgery, " since if you need a kidney transplant, it's usually not something you can "elect" to do.

• Oo
      5th of Jun, 2009

Chris is an ###. Dogs are expensive but Banfield is just a ripoff!

• Mo
      22nd of Jul, 2009

Banfield is a ripoff - you should seek legal counsel - there are actually class action lawsuits out there against Banfield.

• Ph
      26th of Jan, 2010

You spent HOW MUCH for an AKC registered teacup yorkie, yet you didn't have the money to run a blood test?? Liver shunts ARE common in yorkies, so that is why it was mentioned but would have been ruled out had you been able to run a blood test.
    And secondly, WHY would someone benefit from your AKC registered teacup yorkie WITHOUT THE PAPERS???? People like you are the reason veterinarians get driven to drink. You shell out $2000 for a dog and then it is their fault when you cannot afford to treat it!

• Ha
      8th of Nov, 2010

I'm a loyal customer at Banfield, I am well aware that they have protocols for treatment and you should be happy this, they are only looking out for your pet. You shouldn't be upset that she was going to "steal your puppy" you should be thinking more along the lines that she was going to SAVE THE PUPPY"S LIFE!! Someone in this profession wouldn't breed a dog for money anyways, they know that there are too many dogs out there as it it is. The real law suit should remain on Banfields part considering the fact that YOU signed over the yorkie and then took him back after, you should feel lucky that they even did this. Plus, you Spent how much on the yorkie? Seriously, you should be able to pay for it to survive- if you thought about the pets life and not about your savings account you would have come up with the money. Maybe next time, you will think about this before buying an AKC registered dog, or any dog for that matter.