Banana Hobby / Poor Service

CA, United States Review updated:
4.7
Phone: 626-291-2296

On October 2008 I purchased two R/C Helicopters from BananaHobby.com.

During the initial purchasing phase they were quick to respond to inquiries. Now that I have the helicopters I need to purchase replacement parts for one that happens to be a newer model for 2008, but cannot get any response from Banana Hobby. On the purchase description it does list that "all" replacement parts are available which led me to believe that common parts like replacement rotor blades would be easy to get. They are inexpensive parts, but I cannot locate a seller in the U.S. and Banana Hobby will not help.

I have tried several emails, and the phone numbers listed ring and ring with no answer. Once the business hours are into effect, the phone is placed off the hook and rings busy.

I am writing this to warn other shoppers that sometimes, a good price is no replacement for "good service".
Rt

Comments

Wi
  12th of Mar, 2009
I ordered a 30'' RC Boat from BananaHobby to be sent to my grandson in Australia to reward him for a years hard work and excellent school grades. The boat arrived on time; but it wasn't new. When taken out of it's protective packing the hull had two black marks on it, one each side. It was very dusty. The boat Ni Cad was charged, a further indicator it had been used. But the Tx sent was not only defective; a loose wire, soon fixed; but it had the wrong operating frequency. The boat Rx operated at 27Mhz, the handheld Tx at 40Mhz. Hence RC range was about 10 feet rather than the 300 feet it should have been.
I can confirm the helpline phone number when you do get through after a few rings goes dead. With the e-mail I fared better. At first this worked well, we were able to identify the problem and BananaHobby offered to send a replacement 27Mhz Tx to my grandson. So far so good, but then the problems began. They didn't answer e-mails requesting info on when the Tx had been shipped.
So then tried their Chat Line; I did get a response and promises; but nothing happenened. The Boat was delivered 5 Jan. The problem was identified and a replacement Tx promised 26 Jan. It didn't arrive, wasn't even sent despite weekly assurances on the chat line that it really was on it's way, and lots of apologies.
I think I may be getting a result now, the operator on Monday, added the replacement Tx to the original order and promised to send me a tracking number, that was Monday, it should have been despatched Tuesday. This morning Thursday sent an e-mail directly to operator for tracking info. I'm a realist and don't expect too much.

Wondeful website, really too good to believe prices (almost). Abbismal aftersales. What a great pity. If they can't replace a contribution to replacement cost would be appreciated. Replacement policy only works if the shipping cost is considerably less than purchase price, to Australia it is about one and a half times! So you have to believe in the site.

What they should do: Like Amazon.co.uk show a new price and used price for the items (because my grandson got used/defect/factory seconds/returns) call it what you will.
My advise if the price is right and you are still getting a good deal after allowing to replace say a Tx including of course shipping costs, then it may be worth taking a chance. But if it goes wrong you are on your own. Another thing if you are buying as a present give youself time to sort things out, don't send direct.
Would I buy from them again? No I wouldn't put my grandson through the roller coaster of wow to woe again. Rather buy from a shop and suck the price and maybe limited range of modela on offer.
Ho
  13th of Oct, 2009
Hi Guys, I am from South Africa, last year I purchased 1 plane and 2 helicopters from BH. The plane worked fine and 1 of the heli's. The other did not even get off the ground. I tried to get hold of BH but with no luck. Anyway, I turned the helicopter into a boat! But about a month ago I wanted some spares for the Artec plane, so I ordered a load of stuff. I paid by credit card, but did not receive the whole order. There was NO note or credit to my account. If anyone knows a official USA consumer trade office I can contact about this please post it, I'll keep my eye's on it. Howie from AFRICA
Gl
  29th of Apr, 2010
My name is Glenn, I've had multiple orders in the last 6weeks. I got all my products on time excellent customer service, awesome products. Excellent shipping. I am not affilated in any way nor do I have any relative that works for banana hobby. Top notch 5star service, products, and shipping from the staff at banana hobbys, I would definately order again and reccomend vanana hobbys

Banana Hobby Logo Banana Hobby