Ballard DesignsDo not order from them

W Review updated:

This was by far the worst online shopping experience I have ever had. I recommend never orderning from Ballard Designs . Nothing they have is worth the hassle I went through. I was shipped the wrong order twice by the vendor and weeks later I still do not have a comforter for my bed. One of the customer service reps I talked to was extremely rude and I still have the wrong comforter in my closet as I am waiting for the vendor to issue a UPS label so I can drive it across town to be returned yet again. I finally cancelled my order because Ballard Designs was not able to confirm an item # with their vendor one week later after I received the wrong item for the second time. Even if they were able to confirm the item # today, which they could not guarantee, I would still have to wait a potential 4 - 6 weeks LONGER to get the correct comforter. I was never offered any extra discounts, coupons or anything other than an "I am sorry" for my inconvience. I was repeatedly told it was the vendor's fault - well Ballard Designs is the company responsible for the vendors they use and responsible to the customers who order from their website, right?

• A
      Aug 29, 2009

I am still waiting for an item that I ordered over 5 weeks ago. Their website says that the order would ship in 4-5 weeks which is already unreasonable compared to other companies. I called yesterday (5 weeks later), the customer service rep was unbelievably rude and said it would ship in 3 more weeks. Similar to your experience, she also blamed it on the vendor. I thought I was ordering from Ballard Designs, not a vendor! This is a gift and I am so embarrassed by how late it will be. They offered me nothing to make up for this inconvenience, barely an apology. I'm writing to their CEO and I will probably dispute the charge on my credit card if it isn't received within the next week. I can't believe that a company thinks they can do business like this. Good luck with your order!

• L
      Nov 30, 2011

I can also attest to Ballard Designs poor level of customer service. I initially tried to purchase an item online however the checkout system was not applying the appropriate sales discount. The product listing indicated a 15% discount would be applied at the register but upon checkout it was applying only 10%. I called the 800 # to obtain some help, needless to say the expectation of knowledgeable and courteous service was far from reach. Lynn H. was the Rep who instead of gathering all the facts from the onset only obtained a portion of my info and immediately placed me on hold - to then make a statement that I was mistaken as the company was only offering a 10% discount. I had to walk her thru the website to show her the product listing and their sale notation which clearly posted 15% - even then she could not assist me with the purchase, she said she needed supervisory approval. I was placed on hold for the 4th time (30 min call) she came back to tell me they sold out of the product. What a scam. The item is still on the web available for purchase, which clearly contradicts the rep. Avoid this company as there are too many other better choices out there.

• C
      Jan 05, 2014

I spent a lot of money on some table bases that we're not delivered. The customer service reps tried to tell me I had the date and time wrong. Then they refused to transfer me to a supervisor, claiming they were busy catching up from the holidays and not accepting calls. I was disconnected twice; called a total if 9 times trying to find out why the scheduled delivery did not happen. I was finally told that the driver (you mean there's only ONE to make deliveries?????!!) called in sick. Yet no one called customers to reschedule. My delivery was rescheduled for Saturday by the freight company again, whose rep guaranteed me it would be done in the afternoon, so I made arrangements again to have someone available to receive the items. No show and no call - again. I cancelled my order and wrote to the leadership at Ballard in Ohio (headquarters) detailing the horrible experience - and demanded the return if my money. NEVER order from this company! I wish I had found the customer service and delivery reviews before purchasing from them. NEVER AGAIN!!! BEWARE.

• B
      Jul 29, 2014

I totally agree. Ballard Designs is the worst retailer I've ever dealt with. I purchased two sets of wicker dining room chairs with covers. After one and a half years my wife decided to wash the cushions that were lightly soiled. The seams came completely apart. Since it was past their one year store warranty they would only give a $40 gift card towards replacement cushions. Only problem is that they don't sell the same cushions and they are so unique they would have to be custom made. They would not even give us any information on the manufacturer. Since I purchased them with my Visa card I filed a claim with Visa only to find out that Ballard Designs refused to provide Visa any information on the manufacturer quoting that it was confidential and all they could find out is that they were manufactured in India. Since they do not have a USA backed manufacturer warranty Visa denied the claim. What is Ballard Designs hiding.

• O
      Nov 02, 2014

Helen Weeks, the founder should be ashamed as to the poor quality of their sofas and their client service.

We purchased a Baldwin sofa and Baldwin love seat for $2, 474.93 on 9/10/10. The spring support and frame fell apart and we felt we were sitting on the floor.

After much complaining, the items were replaced in July 2012.

The same thing occurred with the replacement items this year. We have had to buy many large pillows and place them under the sofa and love seat pillows just so we were not injuring our backs sitting on them.

We complained again and asked for a refund or replacement on 4/15/14.

A Ms Tuttle said they would do neither on 5/28/14

Being over 65 years old- this company takes advantage of senior citizens.

There products are crap, and their client service is even worse!

Don't buy their products!

Stu Williams in Florida

• M
      May 08, 2015

I wish I had read these reviews before ordering from Ballard Design. I ordered a rug. Simple enough. But no, even though it was "in stock", two weeks went by before I saw that Ballard had charged my credit card. No shipping notice, nothing. I called several times. One representative basically said Ballard had no idea where the rug was but that it had "shipped." 6 weeks after ordering, they still don't know where the rug is and only yesterday credited by account. I too wonder what this company is hiding. What it's NOT hiding is truly bad customer service. I'll never order from them again. There are too many other retailers out there who value business.

• M
      Jan 27, 2016

I have also had very bad experiences with Ballard Designs, despite being a long time customer. I just can't put up with them anymore.

• D
      Mar 19, 2016

Buyers beware. Purchased a monogrammed Duvet, arrived with crooked monogram. Called and sent a picture. They said they'd get back to me. Instead they shipped a new one with no mention of returning the first. The second Duvet also had a crooked monogram but I gave up. 2 months later I get a letter threatening to charge my credit card if I don't return the first duvet in 30 days. Unbelievable - I will never buy from them again.

• L
      Jun 10, 2017

Sadly, I am another customer who found out too late that there is no customer service or company accountability on the part of Ballard. When I tried to give an honest review of a product I received on their website, they told me they would not post it as it spoke to shipping issues and they apparently don't count or they won't deal with this failing in their organization. I ordered a product early this winter and learned within a week or so that it was backordered and would not ship until May. In April, they pushed that out to mid June alerting me with an email; yet the very next day I got snother email from Ballard stating the item just shipped and I would be contacted to arrange a delivery date from their contract shipper. When I called customer service at Ballard to let them know that a fsmily emergency took me out of town and I would not be able to be home for any delivery, I was first told, don't worry, it will take weeks for the delivery still. Yet the next day I was contacted by the shipper telling me that I needed to set the delivery date and if I did not, they would return the item to Ballard. Further calls to Ballard were fruitless and frustrating- I finally got bumped to a customer relations person who just arranged a delivery date in June with the hope I would be home to accept it. Well, the item was delivered this past Friday. The delivery company never called to confirm the delivery so when it became 1 hour from the end of the 4 hour window snd they still were not there, I tried to get in touch with both Ballard's rep and the delivery company. They confirmed it was going to be delivered; the delivery team then called and said they would be at least an hour beyond the window they promised. And that white glove service? For the $100 plus extra charged, the delivery is to your front door only. Really? Even the delivery team was embarrassed and did bring the Huge box over the threshold. I still had to unpack a box bigger than me and get the item into my home. The actual product after all this? An uncomfortable Thurston wing chair with stiff cushioning and poor quality upholstery. So my recommendation: don't buy anything from Ballard Designs and tell the company thar owns them, HSNi Cornerstone, that you won't accept this lack of quality by also refusing to buy anything fro their other vendors - Frontgate, HSN, Grandin Road, Garnet Hill and Improvements.