AVG / scam

1 Hawaii, United States Review updated:

I went on google looking for AVG. I clicked on the first link available. http://www.free-download-place.net/avg/index_promo.php?source=CCN-CD277-MIVA-avg. Total SCAM. They offer several liscencing agreement and charge you to download the free version of AVG. There is information about a confirmation email you'll never get. The site looks totally legit from the FAQ to the Member Login. You don't get to review your bill before they take payment and you get a charge from "helpmedownload.com." You are being charged to be directed to the free version of AVG.

Comments

• Jg
      8th of May, 2009

AVG Antivirus does not charge you for a free download. You went to the wrong website.

The real AVG site: http://free.avg.com/

You really have to be careful where you download things from. Always be sure to the website URL, not just the website name.

• He
      9th of Jun, 2009

Hello Customers,

I am a customer service representative of helpmedownload.com. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and for your negative experience. Regarding your concern about the AVG program, we will be more than happy to resolve your issue either via web chat below, or email, or calling our toll free number.

HELPMEDOWNLOAD.COM
    US Phone Support 1-800-978-7657
    UK Phone Support 0808 238 0026
    AU Phone Support 1-800-469-290

Web-chat is now available! You can visit the website: www.mp3helpdesk.com for online chat support.

Our Operations is available 24/7.

• Is
      17th of Nov, 2010
    Avg Anti-virus - Paid for the advanced version and they wanted more money to get rid of virus!
    Ohio

I bought the advanced version of AVG and just a few days later my computer got a virus that shut it down. I called AVG and they wanted almost $200 MORE to tell me how to get rid of the virus!!! I reminded them that I had paid for the service (wasn't using the free version) and was told "You don't expect us to get all of the viruses do you? They are always changing." I said that they had to honor what I had paid for and was told "No, we are a third party to AVG and they don't really have Tech support". I went to the library to use a computer to email a request for my money back because the person on the phone said they wouldn't forward the information. Thanks for NOTHING. I spent all day trying to get through to someone who would help me and never got anywhere. AVG is not worth the time you spend trying to fix your own computer and dealing with non-helpful people!

• Tr
      17th of Nov, 2010

This is why many computer hackers use alternative means to obtain coded copies of the programs at no cost. This practice although not ethically correct is a result of unsavory software companies. DO UNTO OTHERS AS THEY DO TO YOU.

• Co
      17th of Nov, 2010

This is regarding the AVG...this happened to me with another virus and the program appeared on my pc and locked my computer until I BOUGHT the program. GO TO YOUR BANK WITH EVIDENCE OF PAYING FOR THE PROGRAM AND PLACE A INVESTIGATION ON THE COMPANY AND ASK FOR THE MONEY BACK. TELL THEM THAT YOU HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO PAY FOR IT AND STILL GOT A VIRUS AND THAT THEY WANTED MORE MONEY TO FIX IT...THEY REFUNDED MY MONEY TO ME AND ALSO FOUND THAT THERE WERE MORE PEOPLE THAT THIS HAD HAPPENED TO. After that take the computer to Staples and have the virus removed and a sensible program put in such as Norton which is reliable. Hope this helps.

• Bl
      6th of May, 2011

Is AVG Anti-Virus a scam? In my opinion it is. I used it for several years. However, in October 2009 several virus got pass the program and infected my computer even though the program ran all the time that my computer was turned on. After about 5 days the AVG people contacted me by phone and controlled my computer by remote to remove the virus since I was having troubles removing the viruses prior to them controlling my computer by remote.
    Because of this I then made the mistake of buying AVG Anti-Virus for 2 years. Then in May 2010, mind you less than 1 year, my computer once again was infected. This time with 61 infections. I know this because I was manually able to use the AVG Anti-Virus program.
    It took me about 2 hours to get the computer up so that I could run the AVG Anti-Virus program. It ran from 12:15AM to 4:00PM (yes, that is right - over 15 hours!).
    At that time, the computer went down fully and I could not get it back up. Thus, I was forced to go out and buy a new computer. The computer came with programs including an anti-virus program.
    I then sent an email to AVG to get a refund for the 2nd year (mind you the second year had NOT yet begun!). Of course, AVG refused. They expected me to email them, which I could not because my computer was out completely!
    I will never spend any money to buy an AVG product again. As far as I'm concerned, their AVG Anti-Virus program is junk since it does NOT do what it says it will do. If at all possible, stay way from the AVG Anti-Virus program!!!

• Re
      9th of Dec, 2015

I have AVG Internet Security 2015, valid until Feb 2018. Practically every month my licence number just changes and then I'm warned that my licence has expired and am no longer protected! I have to re-enter my licence number and voila I'm protected again until the number automatically changes again. I am really fed up and will never buy AVG again. Support is non existant. Rubbish company.

• Si
      16th of Aug, 2016

I had probably bought the product in August last year & don't recall giving any authority to keep processing every year.

On 5.8.16 I was charged $ 76 AUD without my consent or approval.

I don't use your product hence please cancel this transaction & refund the amount as well as please cancel my cc in your system which you have fraudulently set to process every year.

Simon Mendonca