AT&T / scam and cheating

I signed up for AT&T U-Verse package (Cable, Internet, and Telephone in March 2008 and I'm still waiting for my $100.00 rebate. Each time I called, the representative could not find my information and we have to set up everything again. I've already spoken with over 10 representatives at their Reward Center and AT&T customer service, who all assured me that I will receive the rebate in 3-6 weeks.

Ja

Comments

• Mi
      7th of Jul, 2008

I have had the same problem here in TX and my sister has had the same thing in Connecticut. We placed our orders between Feb and March 2008 - neither of us ever received the initial rewards mailing. Then we called, found out from rewards that the customer service reps (CSR) didn't put the reward info in the system. We then went through the painful process of automated response system, repeating history info, and then supposedly the CSR updated the system. Rewards Team is a 3rd party company so can't do anything unless AT&T CSRs put the info into the system. I receivedmy rewards notice and went into their online system to see "no rewards for you". My sister went through the same issue. Worse is that since they don't put the info into their system when you get the "offer" initially, if you don't have proof of the $$ value - they downgrade you to $50. That happened to my sister. Now rewards are up to $200 yet whether they downgrade you or whatever -- they aren't putting the rewards info into their system. I say we report them to FCC and Attorney Generals of each state. This has to be deceptive trade practice!

• Jz
      17th of Jul, 2008

I'm located in California and I'm facing the situation. The salesperson promised me $250 rebate. It's been 8 weeks and I haven't seen anything yet!

• Sk
      1st of Aug, 2008

I seem to be in a similar boat as you two. I got the U-Verse service in June and when the $100 rebate did not show up, I was told that it takes around 4 weeks and so it would show up in the next bill. Next bill has come and yet no rebate.

• Mi
      13th of Aug, 2008

I agree with everything. I got the $50 internet rebate but not the $200 u-verse rebate. I wrote an email complaint and got an auto generated email with answers to various questions. The email said to reply if my question was not answered, which it was not, so I replied saying it did not come close. I also asked if the rebates were a scam to get people to switch. That was two weeks ago...no response yet from AT&T. Someone should report this to the Better Business Bureau.

2nd of Sep, 2008

I have the same problem. I signed up for AT&T uVerse in March and have still not received my $50 reward. They keep telling me they entered it wrong and that I have to go through the process of waiting again after they re-enter it. It's now September and have gone through the process 5 times. It's such a scam. They keep telling me, "oh it will work now, we just didn't have it set up right, but you still have to wait." I really want to file a formal complaint against AT&T.

• Ji
      9th of Sep, 2008

att must have been trained by the ss in germany, they trick and then treat you like crap once they have a contract, stay away from att they have no care for theie customers

• Th
      9th of Sep, 2008

my story is almost the same i signed up in june they told me 4 to 6 weeks its september no rebate i called they told me it expired but ive been calling since i signed up they told me my information wasnt on the computer they told me last time 4 to 6 weeks again

• Va
      26th of Sep, 2008

NEVER use At&t for internet service (or any service for that matter!) After everything that happened with my account back in July I had put it on Auto pay so I wouldn't have to worry about it. And I thought everything was fine, no phone calls from them or emails or anything. So the 11th my internet stopped working and I called to find out why. Well they said I owed $145 so I called the bank and they hadn't been taking out the auto pay so on the 12th I paid all that was owed. When it didn't get turned back on then I called back to find out why. They told me "well your internet account has been disconnected for more than 15 days" and I said NO it's not even been disconnected for 24 hours. And then they said "well that must have been a glitch, it shows here its been disconnected since August 18th." I'm like well it should have been on Auto pay and shouldn't have even ever been disconnected. She says well I have no evidence that your account was put on auto pay. So by this time I am REALLY flustered. So I ask, ok so I paid the bill can you please just turn my internet back on. No she tells me "because your account was disconnected for more than 15 days we have to put in a new order for internet service. You won't have internet access until the 16th. Ok let me start putting in the order. I tell her Just forget it! I don't want to deal with this BS month after month after month! It was ALL THEIR FAULT and I am the one that got screwed. So I called Directv because my hubby wanted us to get that tv service for a while and I figured I'd just use their internet service. Well I call them get everything for the tv set up and low and behold guess who is their internet provider? AT&T!!! So I go ahead and place the order through them because it saves me $10 off my directv bill. Then after I place the order thinking it'll be the same date that AT&T gave me, the guy tells me ok it'll be up and running September 22! I was like what? they just told me the 16th! Just like always "well I'm sorry mam there's nothing we can do about it!" So I waited. On the 19th I get a call from some one that was placing the At&t internet order because they were "missing information". I asked what information is missing. She tells me "Your phone number". WHAT? The information that you are missing is the telephone number that YOU JUST CALLED ME ON?!?! So that was "taken care of" and I was assured that my internet would be up and running on Monday(9/22). So I wait until Monday. No internet service. Call up AT&T. Oh well the order wasn't placed until September 19th so you have to wait until the 24th. Sorry nothing I can do about it. This is ALWAYS the case. It is ALWAYS some sort of "glitch" and ALWAYS "Sorry nothing we can do about it". And the "customer service" reps are always so rude! I am in the process of writing a letter to the company, although I probably will NEVER hear anything from them.

• Ro
      11th of Feb, 2009

Back in October of 2007 I had AT&T/SBC install DSL internet service. Part of the package was a Motorola PCMCIA adapter that I didn't need but was required to purchase with the understanding that it would be free via a rebate.

When the adapter arrived, the 'rebate activation sticker' was missing and where it was supposed to be was a statement that a rebate form would be mailed separately. The rebate form never came.

When I called the number supplied for inquiries I was told that there were a number of people I could call but would get bounced around and spend a lot of time and probably never find anyone with the authority to issue the rebate.

I didn't thing a big company like AT&T would do such a shabby thing to a customer!

• Fe
      23rd of Mar, 2009

I broke my phone. I was in Texas at the time and went to one of their local stores. The salesman talked me into buying their insurance. Allegedly, it didn't matter if I got the phone wet, dropped it, etc...it didn't matter, the insurance would replace my phone. When I tried to use the insurance only TWO days later for the junk phone that I bought, they would not honor it. I showed them my receipt and they still argued with me and told me that I didn't have insurance. I tried to explain to them that I was a disabled veteran and as a result of my service, I could no longer handle confrontation. Yet, for the next hour and a half, I argued with the salesman. I had to buy another phone. My VA is not that much. I am on a fixed income.

After spending $170 on another phone, they called me a couple of hours later and apologized and said I did have insurance. They wouldn't let me return the phone, though. They said they'd mail me another. Now, I have two phones and am still paying for insurance, although I already have an extra phone. At this point, I would be happy for half of the cost of my phone, even.

ATT will not even call me back. If you go to their website, they won't even list a mailing address for their corporate office. When you call, you get bounced from one department to another. My wife died almost a year ago and they won't let me cancel her line because 'it's under contract.' This is the absolute most crooked company that I have ever done business with.

• Mr
      26th of Sep, 2009

I know what you mean because AT&T told me after I had U9Verse for a month I would get a $100.00 dollar check and that was July 1 2009 never got the check.

• Mr
      26th of Sep, 2009

I know what you mean they lied to me just to get me signed up for their u-verse and did not send me my $100.00 after a month of signing up like they said. And they were charging me 30.00 for home service when they said it would not cost. I had lifeline cheaper than that.

Scammers is all they are.

• Ex
      11th of Oct, 2009

A FEW YRS AGO WE USED AT&T FOR LONG DISTANCE SERVICES, THEY REQUIRED A SECURITY DEPOSIT OF $95.00 DESPITE THAT WE DID NOT USE THE LONG DISTANCE, WHEN WE CLOSED OUR TELEPHONE SERVICE [ABOUT 3 YRS LATER] AT&T JUST IGNORED OUR SEVERAL REQUESTS TO HAVE THE SECURITY DEPOSIT REFUNDED TO US...!!!
    THE ACCOUNT WAS PAID IN FULL AND NO MONEY WAS EVER DUE TO THEM, STILL UNTIL TODAY AND AFTER A FEW YRS THEY HAVE NEVER SEND US OUR MONEY!

• At
      8th of Feb, 2010

Dear AT&T Customer Service,

On January 26 I e-mailed customer service this e-mail and I have still not received a response.

On August 18, 2009 I tried to enroll in AT&T's Premier Sponsorship program. After receiving the verification e-mail from AT&T at my work e-mail address I clicked on the hyperlink and was directed to a verification page that required the last four digits of my social security number and my zip code. Upon entering this information I was not able to continue to the next screen. It would not go forward to complete the process so I tried on another computer and then another. I continued to have the same problem. I then called customer service asking for assistance with the process. They were very helpful and the said they would e-mail someone to help me with problem.

On August 20, 2009 I received an e-mail from ERP Requests. They explained that they could not help me because they did not see that I had an employee account. They explained that I needed to take a learning edge course to access the ERP website. At the time I did not realize that the customer service rep I spoke with on the phone had e-mailed his question to the wrong department

On August 21, 2009 I replied to their e-mail explaining my problem with my Premier Sponsorship account. I explained how I was having trouble with the website and that I was trying to add a FAN # to my account. They explained that I need to contact AT&T Customer support and that they were unable to help me with my problem.

On November 11, 2009 I went to the AT&T Center on 1912 Gallatin Pike N *** and spoke with Justin ***. I explained that I needed help with setting up a fan number on my account and that I was having trouble with the website. He told me that he would be able to take care of the process. After waiting for over an hour at the ATT store he verified that everything was set up and ready to go. I asked him to send me an e-mail verifying that he had set up the fan number on my account. Later that evening he responded from ********@att.com with this comment, "Hey this is Justin from AT&T we added the FAN discount."

On December 8, 2009 I called to pay my monthly bill and while paying I asked customer service if they had any record of a fan number being activated or set up on my account. They explained that they did not see any record of this and that I should wait 5 to 6 days and that they would call me back.

On December 14, 2009 I received a phone call from Frank *****( 1-800-331-0500) who explained that he still did not see any record of a fan number being added to my account and he suggested that I do it again on the website. I explained that I was having trouble with the website, but that I would try it again. After trying the website again, I was still not successful with processing the verification page so that I could get my fan number. He told me to call back and check in about a week.

On December 20, 2009 I spoke with Heather. She said that unfortunately she could not help me and that all I could do was wait. She explained that she would make a note on my account so that ATT would refund me all of the money for my FAN Discount that I would have saved had I been able to enroll when I became a member. Later that day I e-mailed Justin ***** asking why a fan number was never added to my account even though he verified that it was, but he did not respond.

On December 22, 2009 I spoke with James ******. He said that I should, "Give it about a week." I told him that I had been waiting since August and that I feel like I know more about AT&T than their customer service reps. I asked him if he thought I should get a job with AT&T and he said, "Trust me, you don't want to work here." I asked him if there was anything I could do and he said that all I can do is wait.

On December ??, 2009 I spoke with Rowena ***** who was VERY helpful. She tried to contact the ATT Premiere Team and put me on hold for over 30 minutes. When she did finally return to the phone conversation she said that she would call me back once she had resolved my issue. She called back a few minutes later with a case number. The number was (*************). She said they will have an answer for me on Christmas Day and that this would be my Christmas Present. She said they will respond to me via e-mail.

On December 25, 2009 - I did not receive any e-mail notification from AT&T.

On January 13, 2010 I called AT&T customer service and spoke with Henry. I asked why I never received an e-mail from AT&T about case number **************. He said the reason was because the case was still pending. I asked why I never received an e-mail with a status update on the account. He said that he didn't know. I asked him to look at my account and see if a FAN number had been linked to my account. He said, "YES!" that it looks like there is a fan number on my account although it has not processed yet. He said that when it does process he will make sure to note on my account that I receive retroactive payment for all of the prior months that I had been waiting to solve this problem.

On February 8, 2010 my AT&T phone bill is due. I have never missed a payment, nor have I ever been late on any of my payments. However, before I make this payment I strongly feel that I should be compensated for all of the records I have had to keep, the time I have had to spend, and the hoops I have had to jump through for something as simple as adding a fan number to my account. I do not think any customer should be treated like I have been and if I knew I wouldn't be hit with expensive fines for canceling my service I would have done that by now. I do not agree with AT&Ts tactics and never should it be on me, the customer, to have to do so much work to get a simple service from AT&T. Crediting me the for the Fan Discount ( $8.09 ) that I should have been receiving since August and resetting my contract date back to where it was in August when I first signed a contract with AT&T is by no means enough compensation for the trouble I have had to go through trying to straighten out this mess. Please humor me with your best response to this e-mail. I have been patient long enough and I would like to believe there is some AT&Ts customer service left. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
    *** ***

• Cd
      6th of Jul, 2010

I am dealing with the same thing. I was told by a customer service rep at the AT&T store that I was elgible for a $100.00 rebate on my equipment and then I was denied the rebate. When I called the rebate line, I was told by them that I need to call customer service and tell them to call the rebate line while I was on the line. I called customer service and I was on hold for 30 minutes with no answer. I also made a $100.00 advance payment on my account that no one seems to be able to find, and the payment has not been credited to my account. If I didn't have a contract with this company, I would never deal with them again. Since when is it ok to treat customers so unfair.

• Fe
      28th of Sep, 2010

I called in November to sign up for Basic DSL Ultra and was told there was a better deal if I take DSL Extrememe. This would allow me faster service, 12 calling features, caller ID, waiting, forwarding, etc, and would be cheaper. I made it very clear that I wanted a non- contract where I did not have to change it every 6 mo. or a year and the price must be with taxes and fees under 50.00 a month. I was guaranteed that it would be an ongoing price and anytime cancellation witouth penalties and this would include my telephone bill as well. This was confirmed more than once with 2 different people.
    First my hook up date was in December but it was never hooked up but yet they could see the order in and on the computer at AT& T. Second, a tech was sent out to hook it up after over 15 phone calls. You know the re-routhing all over the world with no results!) Finally, someone came and hooked it up but I did not get my 12 features. My speed was slower than molasses.
    Finally I spoke with a rep who wanted to raise it to the 6.0 and after arguing with him for 10 minutes he finally shut up when I asked for a manager and proved to him that our area does not have 6.0 service. Needless to say; 6 months later I get increased bills and after getting Mr. Baxter, supervisor on the phone at 704.424.1365 he finally said he would refund my money knowing I stated I could only afford so much a month. I sent exactly what he said to send and lo and behold another bill with that decreased amount showing as a late payment from previous bill with fees!!! I called him twice and have not heard back, meanwhile I am not paying this bill and my credit had better not be ruined.
    After 3 months of phone fatique, my bills came in around 46.00 a month; Satisfied, yes, until they raised my bill, and slowed my speed down again. (Trust me I know it was there speed as it was tested, Not my computer)

AT& T reps are real good at promising. Notice how they disconnect their sign up numbers so you can't call and get refunded or helped?
    Ever notice how long it takes to get a supervisor? Notice how reps don't want to tell you their names? What kind of business is this?
    I say we ALL 1) write a letter to the BBB 2) decide on a date to switch to "one" other company, even if we pay a bit more, and 3) flood their phones with calls of complaints so they have to hear us!! Who is going to work for a company that gets that many complaints. Lets put it back on them!!! Demand the CEO's phone number and address!! Wite letters!!!

• Ag
      23rd of Dec, 2010

ATT cheated me so many times I have lost count. The last time was this November when we received a package offering all distance and dsl ultra for 65 dollars and I bought a dsl gadget from them for sixty dollars. I asked the guy if that's including everything, shipping, tax and he told me yes. THen I got a bill for 172 dollars. I called them back and fortunately I found a helpful girl who worked around and made it go down 141 dollars. Although I still felt lied to I almost cried in gratitude because that's like the fifth person I got who did something. I asked her to tel me who much else I owed ATT at the time and she said they can't tell that. But she assured me that I will be given some credit for the overcharge in my next bill. But today I fot a freaking 120 bill. I was so mad. There no credit! But another overcharge. I called and got this woman. She was okay at first but soon started making accusations. I wasn't warned that calling Canada was considered like calling Japan or India or whatever. She told me that they don't help people who don't read their documents. They send some literature but honestly with such small letters who reads them? They could at least make it normal fonts.
    But I made the mistake of saying this [censor]ing bill or something and they woman all goes grandmotherly and says if you swear I will hang up on you. I wasn't swearing at her! She didn't swear but she made some accusations that I am liar which made me so mad I told her she was [censor]y and I am surprised she's go ta job upon which she hung up on me.
    I called the next person who was little less accusatory but she didn't help other than give me an address that I asked. I don't have American accent. Is that why they are doing it?
    This is not the first time I got cheated by ATT. I am stuck with this company because they are the only provider in this small Tennessee town. I am planning to move and one of the reasons is because I am stuck with ATT.