AT&T / outrageous charges

On 9/26/2008 I went to the AT&T Store #M327(1813 Village West Pkwy Suite 103, Kansas City, Kansas 66111) to inquire about the AT&T USB Connect Mercury prior to my trip to Spain planned for October 2008. I had two very specific questions: whether it would work in Spain and how much it would be. Sales person Lisa Overall told me it would work just fine and the rate would be $60 per month flat fee; I was not told about any additional charges, so I signed in. I got on the Internet, checked my e-mail etc. couple of times while in Spain and then it quit working, it turns out that it got disconnected because I spent "too much money" but I only found out about this when I returned home from the trip and then was able to check my e-mail.
This was followed in short order by two bills for a total of more than $20000
I called the store and the manager Alex Montgomery-Soares agreed that Lisa Overall did not correctly explained everything to me, but since it was alot of money, he had to go "higher up" to solve my problem.
To make a long story short, after multiple complaints to AT&T and spending very long hours on the phone, I was told that although I was given by mistake the "National rate" instead of the "International rate", I would still have to pay almost $4000 which would have applied with the International rate, and that was their final decision after reviewing my case. My contention is that if I would have been told about additional roaming charges/outrageous amount of money for very little megabytes of download I would have never signed for it so I don't know why I still had to pay anything other than the promised $60/month flat fee.
After threatening calls even on Christmas Eve, I payed the bill so my credit rate would not be affected, but I think this is abuse/robbery to the poor consumer by a big company and something needs to be done about it.
After googling "AT&T outrageous charges" and seeing the number of people in the same situation, I am surprised that nothing has been done so far and that all of this has not found its way to TV/newspapers etc.

Jose I. Dulin
185 Terrace Trail South
Lake Quivira
KS, 66217
jdulin@kc.rr.com

Comments

• So
      12th of Dec, 2009

Jose and those concerned,
    Although my situation is different than yours, I too was hit with an outrageous call charge. I was charged $10.55 per minute for a call to Afghanistan to talk to my son who is serving in the U.S. Army. The first 3 calls were not answered but I was charged $10.55 for those unanswered calls. The fourth call, he answered and we talked for a total of 20 minutes. My international charge for a total of 23 minutes was $242.65. This does not include the "FED UNIVERSAL SERVICE FUND" fee, STATE and MUNINCIPAL taxes for a grand total of $290.90. This is only the international charge and does not include my normal domestic charges.
    I feel that this is an absolute injustice and although I know that most international calls are important to those making them, the fact that families of our American soldiers can not talk to them and hear their voices and visa versa, is disgusting. My son, along with thousands of sons, daughters, husbands, wives, sisters and brothers, are being punished for being in a foreign country, fighting for OUR freedom. They need to hear familiar voices. They need to hear "I love you", instead of reading it in an email or letter. We, as parents and loved ones, need to hear our soldiers laughter, sorrow, anger or any other emotion that they want to share. It sickens me that AT&T abuses the American people by charging these ridiculous fees. It sickens me that after receiving that first 'international' bill most will not be making those calls to say "I love you".
    What does it take to fight this unfair, overpriced violation? How do we as Americans and military families change this? I don't know but one thing I do know... I would love to send AT&T's upper management to the Middle East, set them down in the middle of a desert and tell them "You aren't going to talk to any of their loved ones for 1 1/2 yrs. and by the way, your life is in constant danger and they may NEVER hear your voice again"
    Those of us who can't afford these phone calls are, in a sense, being told the very same thing. I'm disgusted. I'm angry. I'm heartbroken.

Susan Ovadia
    Proud Army MP Mom
    Ohio
    smovadia@att.net

• Al
      27th of May, 2011

Jose, I hope you remember me. As you probably remember, I not only agree with you on the mistake as you described on your complain post, but I also helped taking the issue all the way to the Office of the President in Atlanta, GA to get this resolved and minimize the costs to you. I am sorry that you still have to pay something for the usage of the DATA card in Europe, but I did what I could in a company the size of AT&T, it is not sometimes so easy to get things done, specially values of this high amount and have it reverted to Zero. I am no longer with AT&T, I moved on to do bigger and better things with my career, but this post still shows on a Google search of my name as the number one thing when you search my name Alex Montgomery-Soares.
    I would sincerely appreciate it if you could be so kind and remove this post, so that Google does not show this when someone searches my name. I want to remind you that I did what I could and I was just a Retail Sales Manager at the time with AT&T. I do not want to associate my name with this episode. If you feel like you should leave the complain up, I am okay with it, so long you do not mention me by name. you can say the Store Manager, I would sincerely appreciate your kindness. Thank you Jose and may God Bless you and your family...

Alex Montgomery-Soares.

• Su
      29th of Jul, 2013

I purchased an AT&T Go-Phone (Alcatel 871A) on July 24, 2013, along with a $25.00 top-up card to establish one month of service. I also put $15.00 on the phone to use for purchasing ring-tones, games, etc. Since then, there have been over THIRTY (30) charges to my phone, referred to as "GPRS" charges, all for a few cents, but totaling $6.09, bringing my account balance down to $8.91. Today, I received a text message telling me that my rate plan did not RENEW due to a low account balance. I already PAID for one full month - it should not NEED to renew until August 23rd or 24th!! I could not reach any department or person on the phone to address this problem, and was just sent in circles on the website. When I tried to email AT&T, I was told that Go-Phone customers do not have this privilege. So far, I have been ripped off for $25.00 plus $6.09, and I have never even made one call on this phone.