Assurant Solutions / Awful experience

On September 23, 2006, we purchased a Gateway Laptop computer from Circuit City along with an extended warranty which is still in effect until September 23, 2010. In September of 2008, we had a problem with the hard drive and took it to Circuit City for repair. They sent it in and we got it back in late October, 2008. We again experienced the same problem on April 5, 2009. I called the Warranty Company, Assurant Solutions at [protected] and their tech support stayed on the line with me for over an hour trying to get the computer to reboot. He had me put in the restoration disk and after over 22 minutes, it remained at only 4% so he indicated that it needed to go in for repair (which I already knew having been through this before 6 months prior).

They sent me a box for shipping and Federal Express picked up the laptop on April 9, 2009 and the company received it on April 13, 2009. On April 20, I received a call from Assurant stating that they were going to return the computer to me unrepaired since it was damaged when they received it in their tech support office. This computer was definitely not damaged when I sent it to them for repair. They indicated that they had pictures of the damage and that I could receive the pictures via e-mail if I went to their website and requested them. I did that and did not receive pictures. On April 23, I received the computer back. When I opened the box and looked at the computer, I saw the hinge is definitely broken that connects the screen to the computer. This was not broken when I sent the computer for repair. I have contacted the company to dispute this damage claim and have indicated that this computer was not damaged when I sent it in for repair. Nor was it damaged when I had their tech support on the phone for over an hour on April 5.

Now, I have a computer that is damaged and will not be repaired by the warranty company for which we paid $300 for a warranty which was approximately 1/3 of the purchase price of the computer.

I have filed a complaint with my Attorney General's Office in the State of Illinois and have mailed it to them today. I have tried to speak to someone at their Assurant Solutions Resolution Office and am only given a FAX number of [protected]. I have called their tech center three times to get this matter resolved. I want this computer repaired and brought back to the same condition it was in when I sent it to be repaired. I want the hard drive replaced (again). It is my understanding that Assurant Solutions never provides new replacement computers, etc., but only provides refurbished computers. I don't want a refurbished computer, I want my computer fixed correctly.

I expect Assurant to repair the damage that they obviously inflicted on my computer to get around fixing it and I want the hard drive replaced with a new part. Nothing else will do.

I just want everyone to know that this warranty company seems shady to me. Only my husband or myself ever use this computer. We take good care of our things and are not in the habit of trying to get something for nothing. By the same token, we paid good money for this computer and the warranty and we want the computer repaired.

I sincerely hope that people will be wary when offered an extended warranty being offered by Assurant Solutions. This company is deceitful and uses bad business practices. Our warranty is still in effect until September of 2010. Which appears to be useless since they have refused to fix our computer.

Da

Comments

• Sc
      10th of Jun, 2009

You are right. I have yet to talk to anyone. I only get a busy signal. I have faxed and called and never got a response. I am resigned to the fact that my HD video camera is trashed and will never work again. I hope these clowns will eventually be investigated by some consumer protection agency.

• Sc
      10th of Jun, 2009

Assurant is avoiding calls and won't respond to faxes. They are ripping off customers who bought their worthless warranties.

• Dr
      9th of Jul, 2009

My fiancee was getting hosed by them as well, on an Acer aspire laptop she had bought at CompUSA. I called Acer, and while they told me that they had nothing to do with the third party warranty companies, I simply explained to them that I would then buy a Toshiba.

A couple hours later, I got an email stating that we had received a free mfg's warranty.

I will be filing a complaint with the Minnesota Atty General's office as well. Assurant is shady, and their customer service is terrible.

• Ji
      4th of Aug, 2009

same problem with these rip-off artists.
    used my computer for four years, closed the laptop one day and the hinge broke.
    sent it in, they denied it.
    first they said my warranty only covers electronics and no physical damage at all. when i told them that's not at all what the warranty says - the warranty covers damage from normal wear and use -- they changed tactics and said the computer must have been dropped.
    so apparently they claim i dropped my computer and although there is not a scratch of mark of any kind on the casing, only the hinge magically broke.
    either that or opening and closing a laptop does not constitute normal use.
    attorney general, BBB, internet here i come.

• Ta
      12th of Aug, 2009

I am dealing with Assurant in the Uk re payment protection because i have a long term illness - their attitude towards customers stinks and the information required is absolutely ridiculous - they have me jumping through hoops - obviously trying to make it as difficult as possible to process the claim - are they hoping i will just go away and give up?? Compared to other insurance companies - who have made the whole process as easy as possible for me and had a professional manner - Assurant is way way down the scale. I would now avoid them at all cost and will never, ever take any product from them in the future

• Jk
      25th of Aug, 2009

NEVER buy an Assurant warranty! I sent my computer in to them. It was gone 10 days. They mailed it back without any notice of what they supposed did. They restored it with "generic counterfeit software" so it crashed again in 2 weeks. (I had sent the actual HP recovery disks!) Then I got a message my hard drive was 99% full. I had a 160 GB hard drive when I sent it off. They returned it with a 32 GB hard drive. They told me I had to send it BACK TO THEM to fix that! I said I will not send it to them ever again! Their warranty is worthless, they actually ruined my computer. I talked to about 10 employees and only 2 times did I ever get one that knew how to fix computer stuff. Crazy!

• Ry
      18th of Sep, 2009

I have a HDTV I bought in '07. The Tv started to develop lines on the screen, I contacted Assurant Solutions (since Circuit.City went out of business they handle the warranties), the tech came over as promised. Long story, short I needed a new panel. I contacted Assurant Solutions and they said they would get back to me in 5-7 days. On the 7th day I contacted them and was put on hold for 45 mins, (I'm not exaggerating) they "offered me a replacement TV (I checked the model number and the TV sells for $700.) or they would give me a check for $599.00. I saif "wow, are you serious?" the cost of the warranty alone was $300. so basically you're giving me $299. for my TV I paid $1799.00 plus the additional $300.00 for. I don't get how this can be legal/legitimate? If anyone has any suggestions please contact me at ryan_mcduffee@yahoo.com

• Al
      4th of Oct, 2009

oh yeah, they make sure they state in Terms and Conditions that due to fast paced technology they replace at current value and not what you paid for. It sucks man.

• Ca
      18th of Feb, 2010

This is from an article posted on istockanalyst @ this hyperlink-http//www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewistocknews/articleid/2658890 which was posted on september 29, 2008

If you take the time to read this article printed on this date they stated that they are able to provide the consumer with peace of mind by protecting them from untimely problems associated with big ticket purchases.

Well to all who read this I can definately state again DON'T BELEIVE ALL THAT YOU READ OR HEAR.

Let me begin by stating that this has definately been a wake up call. My wife and I purchased a brand new GE washer and dryer set in November of 2008. This set was to b e placed into a house that we were in the process of remodling after purchase. The remodle was completed in april of 2009 at which time we moved into and began using the washer and dryer. Well in July i went to Florida to work due to a shortage of work up where i live. My wife came to visit me in January of 2009 while i was in Florida and while there our daughter called to inform us that the dryer was not drying anymore. We waitied till my wife returned home to call in the warranty service to to having service men in the house with an 18year old young lady being by herself. We made the call on January 18th of 2009 . Since then there hasn't been must progress but currently a month after it was reported my dryer is still broke and i am still awaiting a decission on what their plans are. I am currently writing to the better buisness bureau to let them know what is going on with this company.

• Mt
      31st of Mar, 2010

This company is the WORST!
    I keep getting the run around on when someone will call to service my TV. It has been over a month now...many phone calls from ME to them, begging for help. I get Incident numbers...customer service representatives, bumped up to "Supervisor" ...and still they say they can't find anyone in San Diego to fix my TV.
    San Diego is a very large city..I find that hard to believe.
    They told me today that basically they really don't have to do anything for 60 days after I call them and that I should read the fine print of my warranty! Nice Customer Service!
    I will NEVER purchase a warranty where this company has the contract for administering service.

• Sm
      7th of May, 2010

Same! Assurant Solutions ripped us off as well! We bought an extended warranty on an LG washer. It stopped working. The Tech came out and said he has to order the part from Assurant or our warranty will be null and void. No part for a month! We have a family of 5! Laundromat for a month put me over the edge so I bought the dang part myself! It arrived in 3 days!! The tech is coming today to fix. Screw you Assurant weasels! Assurant? Don't they mean AssurCAN'T!?

• St
      5th of Jun, 2010

If all of would read your Terms and conditions at time of purchase you would know whats going on. compare those Terms and conditions with any other warranty servicehen post hate comments.

5th of Jul, 2010

Call the managers directly with your beef:

Assurant Solutions

12th of Jan, 2011

they got me too, for a television! now i'm stuck with a broken 52" samsung tv

• Pi
      1st of Feb, 2011

WOW! Reading these stories confirms the issues that my husband and I are dealing with. 42" Vizio purchased 2 years ago from Circuit City (out of business now)...panel went out, called in a claim...tech came out, said "yep, panel is out"...claims guy called us back, stating Vizio no longer made the part and that they were in violation of California state law, so now our contract was VOID --- HECK NO! So, we called Vizio, they confirmed they had the part...called Assurant rep Avril out on it...he then back tracked...said the rep that came out to our home was not Vizio certified...we would need a Vizio certified tech to come out, so we said fine, waste our time again...a bit later, they confirmed that there are no Vizio rep's in California!!! So, they offered us a new TV (supposedly brand new) or $629.99 (about 2/3 the price of the original)...we took the $$$$...BUT, it gets better...when Circuit City transferred the warranty info over, they copied the WRONG name...we had brought it up to the claims rep attention 5 MILLION TIMES, but they conveniently forgot. NOW, when we want a new check (because we cant cash the one sent), they say we have to go through a whole process to modify our contract, that is pretty much void now because the TV is broke. So, when I requested to speak with our claims rep supervisor because i was completely dissatisfied with his service, he refused!!! I have never been treated so poorly in my life. I work for the 3rd largest car insurance company, in claims, and if my company EVER operated like this...oh my gosh, i would be out of a job so fast, i wouldnt even be able to blink!
    Sad to hear others have had this frustration...but at least glad that its just not us that are dealing with the [censor]s that claim they are the best warranty company ever created!!!

• 4l
      26th of Jul, 2011

WOW!!!To hear the same thing from so many people on here in DIFFERENT states is just flat out dumb.Me and my family have been going thru the same things...if more of us would stick together and boycott companies that treat us like this and boycott the companies that allow assuaiant to treat us this way i.e.circuit city...best buy...GE...maybe they couldN'T get away with it. Im not talking about small comments no one sees im talking about total humiliation!!! The kind of embarrasment that that we feel for believeing that a company will appreciate our patronism and instead smacks us in the face with lies, deceptive stratigies and theft of our hard earned money!!! I WILL TELL EVERY HUMAN I COME INTO CONTACT WITH NOT TO WAISTE THERE MONEY WITH THESE THIEVES !!!

• Ex
      28th of Sep, 2012

I agree. Assurant Solutions is the worsed company on the planet. I used to work for them and they would come up with reasons not to cover peoples claims. Dumb reasons. Like there was small scratch and they would claim it's broken. We were constantly told to do whatever it took not to cover customers claims. I hated working there and hated being dishonest. I ended up losing my job due to the fact that I stopped screwing customers over and refused to give false information, though they said it's because I had bad stats. I would never recommend anyone ever getting there coverage or working for Assurant. They are the worsed company on the planet. I think someone should suite them.

15th of Jul, 2013

Total BREACH OF CONTRACT and FRAUD by Assurant Solutions! Don't pay this company for protection! Worst experience ever and took over a month to get my deductable back.

• Je
      19th of Sep, 2013

They suck in Canada, too.

Now, granted, a lot of this mess could have been avoided if I hadn't have been a careless idiot and thoroughly checked my credit card statements. Although it wasn't until recently that I became solely responsible for this credit card. But this is a decent example as to why third-party insurance and verbal contracts make for terrible loopholes to screw people out of a lot of money.

Via Futureshop, my old Blackberry Curve 9300 broke and I still had a year outstanding on my cellphone contract. I paid my fees (a whopping 200 bucks!) so I could renew my contract for 3 years with the new BBZ10 (another 100). While processing, the sales associate asks me if I want to purchase a protection plan for 9.99 a month. Seeing as how my other phone died before my contract was up I figured it was a good idea so I agree. Never agree to this without seeing something WRITTEN about the plan. The fact that Futureshop is allowed to do this WITHOUT offering some kind of write up about it is disgusting.

Since there was no contract for this, besides verbal, I had no idea that this service wasn't actually through Futureshop, but through Assurant Solutions, or the agreement I was about to get screwed into. This was back in May. I was getting charged as per normal (at least I thought I was) on my credit card and I thought nothing of it.

In July someone stole my credit card, so I had to cancel it. I thought I had transferred all my pre-authorized payments to my new card, but forgot about the insurance on my phone until I received a Past Due notice in August. I call the number they provide and they update my info and charge me for the two months that were missed. No big deal, thought it was all taken care of.

Then I get a second notice today saying that my old credit card was declined (the one I cancelled) and that I now owe three months back-payment. Confused, I call the number again and they say that they have no record of my payment, or my new credit card information (even though I have a credit card statement showing otherwise). They tell me that I have to physically show someone at Futureshop my Visa statement and have Futureshop call Assurant to resolve the issue.

I take my statement and the letter to Futureshop and the Associate at the Service desk has no idea what to do (rightfully so, as Assurant service is no way a part of Futureshop), but she calls them anyways and they start telling her that the contract is under a different name; my mothers. Now I'm really confused. I entered into the contract with my new phone completely on my own and in no way should my mother be affiliated with it. Even my mother is confused when I call her, just to see if maybe she has something under a protection plan (she doesn't). The Associate at Futureshop shrugs my concern off, says I have to deal with it myself and call them on my own time (I'm not really surprised with Futureshops attitude; I had to wait a good half an hour when I was getting the phone in the first place for someone who wasn't playing on theirs to help me.).

I call Assurant for the third time. To make a long, painful and tearful call short, turns out I have TWO insurance contracts, one I have not been aware of for two years; the one for my broken Blackberry Curve. That I have no knowledge of agreeing to (and no access to credit card statements; I just always paid a set amount). So, when I had brought my broken phone in, and the associate pulled up my information, no where did it state that I was paying for a protections plan so I could have potentially had it fixed and saved myself a lot of money. Or, if it did, they just didn't give a crap and chose to scam me out of my cancellation fees, the payment for the new phone, and the two monthly payments for TWO DIFFERENT INSURANCE PLANS! And not only that, the "9.99" a month was the quote for the BBCurve, I was actually now paying 11.99 (13.43 after tax) for the Z10 (When recently scanning my statements, I always saw the 11.19 (9.99 after tax) first, so I had thought that I was being charged for my one and only contract and never noticed the double charge of 11.19 and 13.43.)

The Assurant associate was anything but sympathetic. He was getting quite aggressive, demanding what I was going to do about my backpayments, and how I should save the hassle and just pay out the old plan. I kept pausing, trying to catch my breath and, unsuccessfully keep from crying and he would. not. stop. pushing. I was on my cell phone in the middle of Futureshop, completely frustrated and in tears at this point, getting glares from staff, that I finally just told him to charge the payout on the Curve plan on my card (a total of 89 dollars). As we do that, I try and get clarification about my Z10 plan. And he laughs and says, "Oh, you owe another 36 for backpayments for the z10 plan!" I'm so unbelievably defeated at this point that I tell him to charge for that too.

So, in total:
    Fees for cancelling out my contract due to a (unknowingly protected) broken phone = $200
    Left-over charge for new phone for 3 year contract = $100
    Paying out an insurance plan I didn't know I had and could have used to save myself the hassle of all this = $89
    Backpayments on a plan I wouldn't have had to sign up for in the first place (and unknowingly quoted at the wrong price) = $36
    So I'm out a little over $400.

Aaaand, now my monthly installments for my new Z10 at a brand new falsely-quoted price of 13.43! And since its been more than 30 days I can't cancel my contract on grounds of being misled, or any of the usual legitimate reasons.

And to add insult to injury, the Futureshop survey after the phone call wouldn't let me choose Extremely Dissatisfied as an option and hung up on me.

• Gi
      18th of Aug, 2015

As much as I hate to admit it, we too worked for assurant solutions. Our company provided service for the many appliance repair contracts they sold. While it's hard to be the consumer, you should try it from the other side of the spectrum...the service center point of view. All any service company wants is to go in and fix your problem..go home, submit job and get paid. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. With them it was a constant battle and sadly the consumer suffers for it. We had to open a bank account and use it just for the purchasing of the parts needed for the customers repair. Due to the assurant auditing practices, we had to set a limit on the amount money to be used until reimbursement occurred. It sometimes could take up to 6 weeks or better. This creates a snowball effect by money not being returned in a timely manner. It makes shortfalls in the parts account, which in turned would delay repairs. Consumers have this idea that repair companies either make tons of money or work hourly. Not true! The insurance company is the only one who makes the real dough. They count on people NEVER using their contracts. And small repair companies being overwhelmed with hoops and paperwork. Here's an example: 100 people purchase a contract for 100.00. (100.00 x 100 =10, 000.00), out of that only 3 will call for service. Average service with parts and labor (150.00 X 3 = 450.00 ) so (10, 000.00 - 450.00 = 9, 550.00 ) this goes to insurance company. Statistics show only 3% of all policies are ever used. Now for the service center ( parts 63.25 x 15%or 11.75 = 75.00) This 15% covers shipping. Labor and diagnostics (75.00). This amount includes more than 1 trip to your home, so in essence it amounts to 37.50 per trip. Now take into consideration gas that it costs to drive to your home. Even less money to be made. Warranty companies for a repair business is a filler for when COD calls are slow. That is why we do it. To keep people like you and me working. But when the insurance company is demeaning and demanding, it creates hostile feelings by the customer and servicers alike.