Amerigas / Terrible company

United States Review updated:

I have been a loyal customer of Amerigas for almost 3 years. Yesterday, I came home to find my gas turned off and a note in my door stating that gas tanks were locked because no one was home to sign the lease. I first thought that there was an unpaid balance on my account. When I contacted Amerigas, I was told that there there was $0. balance, but my tanks were locked because there was no signed lease in my records. I was then told that there would be a charge of $109.00 test my gas lines. (A requirement to have the gas turned back on).

After speaking to a 'manager'. I was told that they would waived the fee. However, the earliest that the gas would be unlocked would be Friday between 12-4PM. This I considered unacceptable. Without any notification, Amerigas locked my gas tank because somewhere (as I was informed), someone in one of their departments failed to document the leases, and I am among hundreds of accounts that fell through the cracks. They are in the process of locking any gas tanks without signed leases.

I am now stuck with 200 gallons of gas (fully paid for) that I cannot use until Amerigas comes to unlock the tanks on Friday (4days). If I agree to pay this $109 - surcharge to test my lines, they could have the service restored earlier.

This is unreasonable and I don't understand how a company can get away with penalizing a loyal customer for something that their employees failed to do over 2yrs ago.

An

Comments

• Go
      Dec 03, 2009

If you have or are considering purchasing propane gas from the Amerigas company!!! STOP, RUN AWAY!!!
    You will be mis-billed, told misinformation, charged outrageous rates far beyond other companies rates, they will deliver gas when you do not want it and wont deliver when you do want it.
    They will deliver when rates are high. Your bill will almost never be correct and you will spend hours on the phone getting it corrected. The lock in rate now is $1.89 12/04/2009, 4 other companies lock in at $1.49.
    They will lock you in until March and then deliver gas in April at 2.40 and bill you. If you are on even billing they will raise your monthly rate to make up for the difference in your estimated gas use and the gas they just filled at a higher rate when you don't need it.
    This company is a predator that preys on the American public. If you want to terminate your contract you will be hit with pumping fees and tank removal fees that are high enough to discourage you from switching to a better supplier.
    I have spoken to many Amerigas customers in my area of OHIO who have had the same experience and have switched at their own expence.
    RUN RUN RUN!!! DO NOT LOOK BACK!

Oct 15, 2010

this company should be ashamed of itself the way it does buisness, im still waiting for them to get my tank after i cancelled their service after they bought my local company out. now they just sent me a $185 rental fee bill! you gotta be kidding me!!, the dam tank is still here and they are sending me bills for it after i told them to pick it up ! i am just gonna switch to another local supplier. im not paying their EXTORTION bills!! [censored] THEM!! 10 - 15 - 10

• Am
      Jan 15, 2011

We are sorry to hear about your situation and apologize for your recent experience with AmeriGas. AmeriGas prides itself on providing our customers with the highest levels of customer service and we would like to help. At your convenience, please contact Fran directly via email at [protected]@amerigas.com so we can promptly assist you with this issue. To better assist you, please provide your AmeriGas customer number, phone number or the address and zip code where your propane tank is located. Thank-You. AmeriGas Customer Service.

• Wi
      Aug 25, 2011

I want to have my underground propane tank removed. I am facing 200 rental fee and the late fees are building. I have no intention of paying them, I have no contract. I will cost 400 to remove the tank. I had a seriously bad situation where my gas was 'locked off' for not paying a bill on time, when it was their online system that failed. It was the remaining 450 on a 900 gas bill. So some of the gas the locked me out of was my own. No phone call, no notice. no heat nor hot water in the WINTER. And to get it reconnected, 115. They have you by the balls.
    I would switch 5 gallon tanks one a week for the rest of my life (and I am young) rather than pay them.
    I think this industry is due for some regulation. THOUGHTS? Anyone ever win besides them?