Complaints & Reviews

Rip off

They did not offer me a pre buy this year @2.08 per gallon and then never filled my tank until I called when it got to 20%. Then they told me it was $3.79 per gallon. I argued with the driver and he did lower it to 2.75. This area is well below the poverty level WITH A UNEMPLOYMENT RATE of about 20%. The driver told me several have converted to electric and that is what I am in the process of doing ASAP. Everyone is looking for reliefe but we are in a area without competition.

AmeriGas Customer Service Jan 15, 2011

We are sorry to hear about your situation and apologize for your recent experience with AmeriGas. AmeriGas prides itself on providing our customers with the highest levels of customer service and we would like to help. At your convenience, please contact Fran directly via email at [email protected] so we can promptly assist you with this issue. To better assist you, please provide your AmeriGas customer number, phone number or the address and zip code where your propane tank is located. Thank-You. AmeriGas Customer Service.

Poor customer service

Ameragas skipped my delivery area and leaving me without any gas for the coming week due to the weather and that I live in an area with dirt roads. I informed them that there were two other companies doing deliveries in my area that day since I saw them drive past my house. They stated that they missed a lot of deliveries that day due to the weather and they will be out there on their next scheduled date. I was given the option to pay $170 to have the driver come out there today and fill my tank. They were told no thank you, my account was canceled, and I went with a new company that has a BBB rating of A+, is a member of ethicalaz, and has much better prices for gas, tank rental, will make up any missed deliveries if any happen and will not want to charge you to make up for their missed deliveries.

• Ki
    KimK98 Feb 08, 2010

Being new to the use of propane and forgetting to check the level, I unfortunately let my tank get down to zero percent in the middle of winter with three small children in my home. When I spoke with an employee of the company, he advised that there was a $200 expidition fee to get someone out the NEXT day plus a $95.00 feeto check things because I let it get down to zero percent. Then they mention the price per gallon! When he advised that it would cost me over $1, 000.00 to fill my tank I was speachless! Now mind you, I called the company at approx. 8:00am thinking they would be out to fill my tank that day, especially with that &200 rush fee! But no, it was to be delivered the next day. Now when I asked what time, he advised between 8-4 and could not be more specific and advised that someone NEEDED to be home during that time frame. I asked for someone to call me when they were enroute and they advised they would, but that is was not guarenteed. I stressed to them over and over to pleae give me a courtesy call because I work. So, after freezing that night and not being able to use hot water, I went to work and waited for their call. I decided to go home for lunch that day and when I arrived at noon, saw a note on my door from Amerigas. It stated that they had filled my tank, but LOCKED IT OFF because nobody was home. I immediately called the company and advised that I never received a call and asked for the driver to return that day to unlock it. The employee advised me that they WOULD NOT RETURN THAT DAY and that I needed to wait until the next business day and gave me a four hour time frame. They again stated that someone had to be home. I advised that I needed to work and to have the driver or dispatch call me when they were enroute. Employee advised that they MAY call but that it was not general procedure. I spoke with supervisor after supervisor asking for some assistance with the issue. Each person I spoke with was rude, inconsiderate and blamed me for the mess because I let the tank get down to zero percent. They refused to credit me for the expidition fee, refused to send the driver back to my home to unlock it, refused to give me a smallertime frame the next day, refused to call ahead with a courtesy call and were not at all concerned that my three little ones were freezing and had no hot water. So, with no other choice, I decided to call off of work the next day and sit and wait for them to return. Again, another nite of freezing temps plus a day without pay. At approx. 9:00am I miracuously received a call from the driver advising me that he would be there within 30 minutes! When I asked why he didnt call me the previous day when he was here filling it, he advised that it was not on the paperwork to call. Boy, was I upset. This entire thing cost me over $1300.00!!! Plus, I was treated so poorly by employees and supervisors. I will NEVER use Amerigas again nor recommend them to ANYONE! They have extremely poor customer service and ridiculously high prices with outragious fees!

• Wh
    whatcomesaroundgoesaround May 18, 2010

I feel your pain. Amerigas is terrible. Who is the new company you went with, if you don't mind? I want to leave them hanging like they did to my family over christmas week.

Thanks

• Vi
    Virruss Sep 02, 2010

I have been with Amerigas for at least ten years. Mainly because they make it such a pain to switch that I just put up with them. I use gas for cooking, hot water and the clothes dryer. My last delivery was in March. On Aug. 26 I ordered gas and told them that I was very low. I was scheduled for a delivery on Sept. 1. I was in and out all day and by evening I realized that I had not gotten my delivery.

I called Amerigas the next morning and spoke to a very nice young women who told me that the driver had been out the previous day but was unable to make a delivery because the tank needed updating. I had no idea what she was talking about. She explained that the tank apparently needed some type of maintenance and could not be filled until it had been done.

This tank belongs to Amerigas. At no time did I receive any kind of notice saying that it required any maintenance. When I received my last delivery in March no one said to me that in July your tank will require maintenance before it can be filled again. No one from Amerigas contacted to me at any time. Isn’t Amerigas responsible for the maintenance of it’s own equipment in a manner that does not disrupt their customers service? Don’t they maintain service records that warns them well in advance that their tanks need service? Aren’t their drivers at least instructed to check and report on the maintenance and condition of their equipment before it reaches a critical stage?

Truthfully, I am disappointed but not surprised by this. This is just the latest example of how Amerigas shows such disdain for its customers.

• Ol
    old propane guy Sep 05, 2010

When they told you the tank needed updating, did they tell you when it would be done? You said you were low- HOW LOW? If you were at 10%, realize that it took you 6 months to go from 80% (a tank is only filled to 80%) to 10%, so if that's the case, you have about a months worth of gas still in the tank. I have a feeling that they might have told you when the tank would be updated, but you didn't like the schedule. If you feel you need better service, ask for the manager. If you can't get satisfaction from the manager, ask for the regional managers phone. Or contact the home office.

• Di
    Disgusted in Virginia Jan 11, 2011

I understand exactly what you're saying! I worked for AmeriGas several years ago and their attitude toward their customers has not changed. I have a 500 gallon tank at my house, was a "budget" customer, was never late with my bill and they let me run out several times. The last time I had my diabetic, invalid daughter living in my house with two small children. It ran out in the middle of the night in freezing tempertures. Needless to say, I canceled my account and changed companies. I found out from a truck driver that the girls in the office never put a "fill ticket" in for me! Just recently the owner of my "new" gas company became ill and sold his business to AMERIGAS! Guess what? Just as soon as my tank is empty!
    Disgusted in Virginia

• Sc
    Schipperke Jun 27, 2011

Amerigas.. the worst service around! We are working on getting rid of them right now.

price-gouging

I have just had an experience with Amerigas that I think everyone should know about. Our local company...

29 comments Lafayette Other

overcharging and dishonesty

After 6 years of being a customer to Amerigas, never late on paying, we asked why the price of gas they charged us was $1.20 per gallon more than their quoted price, and we were told that the extra money was to cover the expense if we ever had a leak or anything and that they would be there 24/7.We developed a leak that they said was in the line and they wanted to charge us a huge amount to fix it.When I reminded them of what they said, the girl working in that office practically called my husband and I a liar. We told them to come and get their tank out of our yard.Before they came, we had the leaks checked and it was coming from their tank, not the line at all. We went with another company who stands by all of their equipment and we are getting our fuel at $1.15 less per gallon. So I guess they did us a favor and saved us a lot of money.

• Pa
    Paeonian Springs Dec 27, 2009

Did they come get the tank? I am tired of them and want to get my own tank. I was just curious if they will actually come get the tank. Did they charge you for removal?

overcharging

I am not sure where to go to for some help on investigating a company that I feel may have some interesting...

Rudeness and non-delivery

I ran out of propane for cooking in my home. I called amerigas in Palmer and they have a woman there (Terry) that is extremely rude and condescending. They never offered to sen a man out for an extra charge (which I would have paid) and told me that they would call the morning of the delivery to let me know that they were coming. I told them that was unacceptable so she said they would call Monday (5 days later) to tell me the day they would be in my area. Who does business this way? I had to eat out for a week or cook in my microwave.

They made me wait a full week for propane!!

They are the rudest company I have ever dealt with and it happens every time I call.

• Do
    done wrong consumer Jan 05, 2010

Nothing has changed at Amerigas I am still waiting for propane from a Depot in Monroe Ohio ...which is only 10.3 miles from my house. I have called 3 times to get a of delivery date in a few days well that few days is 8 days ...I saw one of their trucks past by my house yesterday...I will tell everyone I know about the terrible service and how they keep putting you off. Buyer Beware...Please check with the Better Business Bureau on the Southern Ohio BBB site. I will be filing a complaint with them tomorrow...01/05/2010.
    AMERIGAS your service (lack of)is unacceptable and as a dissatisfied consumer I will be spreading the word.

Incompetence /Fraud

I have always paid my gas bill in 2 parts and did not mind the late fee I was charged. I received a call from the AmeriGas office in Sierra Vista and the lady offered to set me up on a payment plan to avoid late fees. I did not care either way so I agreed . Each month I submitted the payment that we had agreed on . I was never late.

Then one day I was out of gas. Amerigas has a contract with us to refill our tank once we hit 20%. We could not understand why they did not come to refill it.

Of course this happened on a weekend. I called the gas company thinking it must have been a mistake on their part. They informed me that because I was making payments they would NOT refill my tank until the bill was paid off. Now mind you the lady I had made the agreement with on the PHONE ( DON'T EVER DO AGREE TO ANYTHING ON THE PHONE) never mentioned a thing about this.

I explained my issue with the Amerigas main office and they said that the local office were sure to straighten this out come Monday. So Saturday the gas truck came ( emergency gas delivery) extra charge- because the tank was empty everything needed to be checked and pilot lights relight ( extra charge) plus I needed to pay for the entire delivery of gas right then and there. It came to about 700$ cash with extra fees .

I showed the driver proof that I had paid monthly like agreed. He was as outraged as I was but there was nothing he could do. When I called the Sierra Vista Amerigas office that Monday the lady conveniently forgot that she ever spoke to me and said there was never an agreement made. She had no records of this so no refund on the extra fees for me.

I can only urge anyone that reads this. DO NOT deal with Amerigas. There are other companies out there that provide good honest service. To this day and I don't have Amerigas anymore ..if I go to the main Amerigas website and log into my account I still show a balance due even so its been paid off a long time ago.Haven't gotten a bill since I paid it off. I don't have a tank anymore switched to electricity costs about the same.

YET there is still a balance due for me on the Amerigas website. Ridiculous ! The main office has apologist to me and faulted " slow" payment processing. Unacceptable ! I can only imagine that hag needed money and figured thats her way to get it by stealing from the company.

Amerigas- SierraVista AZ= FRAUD

• Oo
    ooo oooo Jul 30, 2010

If you think Amerigas has poor customer sevice, its because of people they hire. Like Rose Kukuk-Fought who was fired as service manger for customer service at Yavapia Casino in Prescott, Az. Yhats why! they hire the worst of the worst! Good Luck Camp Verede, Az.

Amerigas Client Jul 05, 2012

Customer Service from Amerigas...you must be joking! Numerous times I have been quoted one price and expected to pay a higher price. Secret finance charges now if you do a payment plan? Without any notice after 7 years...where did that come from? Amerigas is already charging me 50 - 60% more than the competition. Even the drivers are scared of getting fired. The people on the other end of the line have the worst TONE of voice I have ever heard...and belittle customers after 20 years of telemarketing. I never take the time to post anything online, but this company has deserved it. The initial letter I received about welcome to the family etc. What a joke. I will pay my bill in full and drain my tank so I don't have to pay $90.00 an hour to drain/recover it and sell to someone else. This company should move to another country and change their name.

Ripping consumers off

Companies failed to inform the public about the changes in pounds of gas sold for the same price. Not telling the consumer was dishonest and we feel ripped off.

• Ad
    ADEYOKUNNU MICHAEL Jul 18, 2009

hi
    my name is
    michael

• Ii
    iirisc Aug 06, 2009

Carolyn

AMERIGAS- UGLY PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH- THEY WONT COME AND GET THEIR TANK AND TOLD ME I WAS BEING CHARGED FOR PICKING IT UP- THEY OVER CHARGED ME BECAUSE IT HAD A LEAK FOR ABOUT THREE YEARS- KEPT SAYING ITS SUPOSE TO LEAK @ MY OTHER PROPERTY YOU NEVER SMELL GAS AND VERY REASONABLE PRICE – BUT THEY DONT DELIVER IN THIS COUNTY. AMERIGAS CAME OUT IN JULY AND FILLED THE TANK ITS SUMMER I HAD PLANNED TO PAY MY MONTHLY $299.17 AND BE DONE WITH THEM. THEY TRY TO MAKE YOU STAY WITH THEM BY DOING THIS. MY MONTHLY BILL AROUND $250.00 TO $300.00 EVERY MONTH AND AFTER CANCELING SERVICE GOT A MONTHLY BILL FOR $225.00!!! ANGREY!!! DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THEIR BUSINESS.

• Pr
    propane20+ Sep 04, 2009

Ferrellgas ownes Blue Rhino

Terrible company

I have been a loyal customer of Amerigas for almost 3 years. Yesterday, I came home to find my gas turned off and a note in my door stating that gas tanks were locked because no one was home to sign the lease. I first thought that there was an unpaid balance on my account. When I contacted Amerigas, I was told that there there was $0. balance, but my tanks were locked because there was no signed lease in my records. I was then told that there would be a charge of $109.00 test my gas lines. (A requirement to have the gas turned back on).

After speaking to a 'manager'. I was told that they would waived the fee. However, the earliest that the gas would be unlocked would be Friday between 12-4PM. This I considered unacceptable. Without any notification, Amerigas locked my gas tank because somewhere (as I was informed), someone in one of their departments failed to document the leases, and I am among hundreds of accounts that fell through the cracks. They are in the process of locking any gas tanks without signed leases.

I am now stuck with 200 gallons of gas (fully paid for) that I cannot use until Amerigas comes to unlock the tanks on Friday (4days). If I agree to pay this $109 - surcharge to test my lines, they could have the service restored earlier.

This is unreasonable and I don't understand how a company can get away with penalizing a loyal customer for something that their employees failed to do over 2yrs ago.

• Go
    Goose123 Dec 03, 2009

If you have or are considering purchasing propane gas from the Amerigas company!!! STOP, RUN AWAY!!!
    You will be mis-billed, told misinformation, charged outrageous rates far beyond other companies rates, they will deliver gas when you do not want it and wont deliver when you do want it.
    They will deliver when rates are high. Your bill will almost never be correct and you will spend hours on the phone getting it corrected. The lock in rate now is $1.89 12/04/2009, 4 other companies lock in at $1.49.
    They will lock you in until March and then deliver gas in April at 2.40 and bill you. If you are on even billing they will raise your monthly rate to make up for the difference in your estimated gas use and the gas they just filled at a higher rate when you don't need it.
    This company is a predator that preys on the American public. If you want to terminate your contract you will be hit with pumping fees and tank removal fees that are high enough to discourage you from switching to a better supplier.
    I have spoken to many Amerigas customers in my area of OHIO who have had the same experience and have switched at their own expence.
    RUN RUN RUN!!! DO NOT LOOK BACK!

johnny wad Oct 15, 2010

this company should be ashamed of itself the way it does buisness, im still waiting for them to get my tank after i cancelled their service after they bought my local company out. now they just sent me a $185 rental fee bill! you gotta be kidding me!!, the dam tank is still here and they are sending me bills for it after i told them to pick it up ! i am just gonna switch to another local supplier. im not paying their EXTORTION bills!! F*** THEM!! 10 - 15 - 10

• Wi
    Winston11 Aug 25, 2011

I want to have my underground propane tank removed. I am facing 200 rental fee and the late fees are building. I have no intention of paying them, I have no contract. I will cost 400 to remove the tank. I had a seriously bad situation where my gas was 'locked off' for not paying a bill on time, when it was their online system that failed. It was the remaining 450 on a 900 gas bill. So some of the gas the locked me out of was my own. No phone call, no notice. no heat nor hot water in the WINTER. And to get it reconnected, 115. They have you by the balls.
    I would switch 5 gallon tanks one a week for the rest of my life (and I am young) rather than pay them.
    I think this industry is due for some regulation. THOUGHTS? Anyone ever win besides them?

Fraudulent Tank Fill and Overcharge

I am yet another victim of Amerigas fraudulently charging customers. In short, they charged me for propane I didn't actually receive. I was 25% full on a 500 gallon tank and was 85% full after they filled it per the gauge. I was billed for 70% fuel. They claimed to have filled the tank to 95% because of the cold temperature and stated my gauge might not reflect this. I have never had a problem with my gauge, but that was their excuse. The meter ticket had the wrong customer information on it to boot, which they also said happens from time to time. Amerigas would not make good in the matter. They are outright cons, and are the highest priced fuel company around additionally. Once my tank is empty I will have them remove it, and I would like to forewarn others of their fraudulent practices so they aren't similarly victimized. Now I see on the news that they have even been shorting 20lb grill gas bottles. Steer clear of this company.

• Ga
    gasman316 Aug 30, 2009

I have worked in the LP gas Ind for more than twenty years.
    And have worked for the majors like Great plains gas, National Propane, Witch was bought out by Columbia Propane, Witch was bought out by Amerigas, (don't work for them any more) And living in northern MI, Were in the winter we can have weeks on end with temps below zero deg. We NEVER fill our tank to more than85%. In the winter, And never more than 80% in the summer, If you fill a tank to 95% you are just asking for trouble, If the gauge on that tank is off by five percent, The driver just filled it liquid full, That was pure and simple driver error! Tanks should always be filled using the spitter/liquid level gauge on the service valve, Not by the percent gauge.

Resolved Refund

I have recently decided to change propane supplyers. We have amerigas and I have always felt they were over charging us. My research shows that they charge at least one dollar more per gallon if not more than other LPG supplyers in my area. They are rude on the phone and act like they are the only one to get LPG from. Its take it or leave it. IT took a couple of years but now my most better half agrees with me. Now amerigas refuses to refund our credit of $33.00. I am disabled but that does not matter to them.

Resolved overcharging the public

I had switched to AmeriGas in the end of October 2008, I got my 250 gallon tank around the 7th of...

Resolved LACK OF SERIVCE

February 18, 2009 Sirs or Madam, My name is Christina Scripture. I reside in Pennsylvania and by default...

Resolved 35 Deg. / 5 days no heat. Gas turned off!!!

Almost $2000 for a tank of propane. Had a verbal agreement and been making payments. Never got an overdue...

Resolved Overcharged

When I switched to amerigas at a very small cottage I was renting they replaced my 150 gallon tank with a 500 gallon tank. I told there driver this was way more gas than I usually get but he set the tank anyway. There is no doubt that the valves on the tank were leaking gas, the odor is unmistakable, I reported leaks and they were never fixed. I was on a c.o.d. plan and after I did not call to have tank filled for about 9 months (I started heating with electric heaters) they sent me a bill for 125.00 for tank rental fees.

• Pl
    PLK Aug 11, 2009

I have had service if you can call it that for the past 9 months they have charged for emergency service when I was told they would not due to the fact that there was a leak in the regulator and it needed to be replaced, by the way it was never fixed. They have over charged for the deliveries I have sent letters and called and no one bothers to even look into it. The customer service is non-existant. We should get together and see if we can find an attorney who will file a class action lawsuit.

• Ro
    Ronald Gunter Aug 20, 2018

Closed account with amerigas new ellenton sc 2012
    tank picked up no balance on account. In summer of
    2017 they decided to start billing for tank rental
    out of thin air. Multiple calls to them response was
    error taken care off. Continued to get same bill in
    mail and phone calls at my house, Same response.
    Turned me over to collections, NO RESPONSE.

• Ho
    Host Nov 13, 2018

Amerigas won't show up to fill our tank, waiting 5 weeks and NO communication.
    They are price gouging, the local company, Ed Staub and Sons are charging $2:15 per gallon delivered. Amerigas is charging $4:50 plus per gallon.