American Standard / Americast Sink / do not buy american standard sinks!

I purchased an American Standard Americast sink 95 days ago and last week the enamel started flaking off near the drain. I called them, sent pictures and receipts and they called back to tell me it was due to "wear". After 3 months? I don't think so. When I refused that, they said it was due to "impact". Nope, try again. You are completely out of luck on this product after warranty offered by the seller, which was 90 days with Home Depot in this case. Do not buy this product, no matter how careful you will be with the sink. The product is cheap and is backed by customer service that's not just poor, it's absolutely infuriating.

Wo

Comments

• Da
      25th of Sep, 2007
    American Standard / Americast Sink - Rusting chipping!

Our American standard Americast sink has been Chipping and rusting. Started about two years after installation. Can not find how to report the defects. Home depot said contact America standard. this is easier said than done.

This product has a "lifetime" guarantee. Two years does not seem like a life time.

• Di
      5th of Oct, 2007

I noticed a place on my amerdaicast sink about a month ago that I thought was a stain. Now it has started to chip off. What am I to do about this before it gets worse. It has a life time garantiy.

• Ji
      15th of Dec, 2007

I totally agree with the previous post and I'm now spending my precious Saturday morning typing in this comment.

I purchased the 38" Sillouette 5 years ago. I liked that it was the large sink design. I undermounted it under a beautiful Silestone countertop. I immediately bought the web protector and sink rack for the large side. At the time the sink rack for the small side was unavailable. The sink within the first year was chipped when a pan dropped on it from about 5 inches on the small side. I'm incredibly disappointed with this product. 5 years later the finish is dull and scratched. The American Standard sink rack has created rust stains on the bottom of the sink. We use non abrasive cleansers and non scotch pad sponges to clean it trying to get a few more years out of it before we rip it out and ship it to American Standard's R&D.

I have friends with cast iron sinks that are new and 75 years old that look great. I think that the Americast product should be taken off the market. American Standard is taking a huge reputation hit with their Americast products. American Standard - don't you get it? I've called customer service as well and have gotten the same treatment.

I spend my spare time now trying to think how I could get a cast iron Kohler into the same opening without destroying my granite counter. Argh!

• Pa
      30th of Dec, 2007

I am tried of looking at my rusty American Sink! The insides of the sink is still fairly new looking after five years...there is rust and flaking on the side of the sink. It is falling apart. I thought that it was a quality purchase but it turns out to be a waste of time and money. Maybe it time for me to look into a Kohler! Glad to know others are dissapointed.

• Mi
      8th of Jan, 2008

Did anyone ever find out how to act on the guarantee?
    I can't seem to find anyone at American Standard who can help and the store I originally made the purchase from is out of business. The Americast Sink that I have is totally cracked right across the bottom and I need to have it removed and replaced from a granite countertop. What a drag!

• St
      19th of Jan, 2008

I have an Palisade American mfg# 791123-100 white

What can i used to remove stains & scratches ?

Please Help Me. Thank You Sterling

• Ri
      22nd of Feb, 2008

Purchased an americast sink at large plumbing supply [RAL] 1999 and besides the discoloring and scratches in the white bowl I discovered we have cracks in at least 3 places in the underside of the sink. The sink is leaking and must be replaced. The other complaints I have been reading are very enlightning as anyone including me would never buy another american standard product after this- RichC.

• Do
      8th of Apr, 2008

i just called them it is a JOKE to them. she said you have to understand its not porcelain this is americast! i said ...enuf said. she emphasised LTD warranty...in other words TOUGH ###
    the number is 800 4421982 good luck they SUCK

• Co
      29th of Apr, 2008

I have a black americast sink for five years all I do with it is what most people do. wash dishes. But there are cracks underneath it and its leaking. I dont know how they got there. And I bought it in home depot. I dont have the reciept. And I dont know what to do. I need a sink and dont have the money right now to replace it. Plus I feel why should I have to spend money on another sink? I cant believe with all these complaints that none of us can get this company to reimburse us . Is there any thing that we can all do together to get results?

20th of Sep, 2008

I purchased a "bisque" Americast sink barely a year ago from Home Depot. I have used only non-abrasive cleaners, but the finish is rapidly deteriorating. and the drain finish is flaking/peeling off. I plan to contact Home Depot and Visa to file a formal complaint, requesting a refund/replacement

30th of Sep, 2008

We purchased an Americast Silhouette in March 2007. We have taken care of it according to the instructions (non-abrasive cleaners, etc.), but -- shockingly enough -- there are a ton of scratches in the side where we wash pans and whatnot. What a joke. We were replacing the sink that had come with the house 14 years ago and it still looked decent (it was just too small). Wish I'd searched online for complaints first. I'll try calling American Standard tomorrow, but it doesn't sound like I'll get very far.

• Ca
      2nd of Nov, 2008

I totally agree too, my Americast Kitchen sink looks terrible. The finish is gone, it has chips all over, and worst of all, a large crack on the bottom of the sink. I called them and they said that is normal. I had a Kohler sink in my previous home, and believe me, my next sink will be a Kohler. Stay away from this product!

• Ka
      17th of Nov, 2008

I'm so glad (in a perverse way) that I'm not alone in telling my family and friends to never buy an American Standard product. Their Americast product is poorly constructed and their customer service was only good at stone-walling. They totally denied any product defect or culpability when my Americast sink chipped after a cup bounced out of a cabinet, hit the sink on 2 edges, chipping the sink, but the cup DID NOT BREAK.
    Their total offer of assistance was to send me a bottle of enamel paint.
    It is now several years later, and the shiny finish is totally gone so that I can see the striations of the fiberglass on the bottom of the sink -- and I have been diligent about using only the (expensive) cleansers they recommended for this product.

• Bo
      23rd of Nov, 2008

Well, all the comments are truly genuine. I purchased my Americast Bisque sink 3 years ago, within 3 months called American Standard about the loss of gloss to bottom of sink. They asked what I cleaned it with, well. Bon Ami as you recommended.
    Well, you can use Gel Gloss they said. well Gel Gloss only adds a little bit of waxy protection, will not restore the loss of enamel finish I remarked. Well, they kept putting me off, trying to buck the problem. Now after 2 years plus, I'm still after them to stand behind their LIFE TIME warranty on finish. I called them 2 months ago at the American Standard Phone Number & I get a surprising, very nice response.. Turns out the representative was from CRANE PLUMBING, never did find out where they are located.Crane Plumbing is supposedly in the process of buying out American Standard. Then I followed up again as to why my initial claim was not responded to; got American Standard in Canada . They now say I have to file a new claim because Crane Plumbing had no business getting my phone call in the beginning.. Then the American Standard rep. said, well you can send pictures again to us, but we are so busy, we do not know when we will get to reviewing your complaint, even though they gave me a compliant number. This so called complaint number is about as good as the so called quality enamel finish on their sinks... WORTHLESS ... I think I can picture the rep. at American Standard, she makes 2 points in the waste basket with every phone call complaint...end of story, well, maybe not .. keep up the complaints

• Do
      25th of Nov, 2008

We remodeled our kitchen in 1996 and the contractor installed an American Standard Americast sink. Last week we came home to water all over the kitchen floor. Inspection found the water had come from a big crack in the bottom of the Americast sink. I called American Standard since there is supposed to be a Lifetime Warranty on this product to see how to get it repaired or replaced. The lady on the phone was not at all helpfull and gave me the impression I was wasting her time. I will never again buy American Standard products.

1st of Mar, 2009

My sink is less than 90 days old & the finish is trashed.I have two 45 plus year old adults in this house.I am certian there is no abuse.
    I guess it would be a waste of time to try for a refund by the looks of letters I have read here.Live & learn.Its just a shame that this country allows companies to produce & sell ----.

2nd of Mar, 2009

I had similar problems.
    My American standard silouette looks awful. Yellow, scratchs all over and that with a rubber mat and rack. It started almost 2 weeks after I installed it. Now 2 yr later its a mess. the sink it replaced was at least 45 yr old and I reget ever getting rid of it. You could scrub it with cleanser, drop a cast iron pan in it and nothing would happen.
    With this one a fork and cup anything leaves a mark.
    If this is the "American Standard" we are all in big trouble. I will always check reviews first before I purchase anything in the future.

• Rh
      23rd of Mar, 2009

I had a American Standard "Americast Silouette" kitchen sink put in my new house while being built 5 years ago. While moving in I found a chip in the bottom of the large bowl of this sink. I was furious thinking the construction works did it. I let it go. After using the first can of Bon Ami I noticed the shiny finish was gone in the washing side of the sink. It only was at the water level that I run washing water. Everything stains this white sink on that side. The other side (rinsing side) still looks new. Now, after spraying Clorox cleaner on my wash rag and let it sit for a few minutes, I came back and found gold stains all around the bottom of the sinking running upwards (my rag is green and has been washed many times, almost worn out). I can not get them out with anything. This sink is a piece of junk. I have not called the customer service department because I do not have the sales receipt, but was purchased at Lowes.

1st of Apr, 2009

I also have an Americast sink, it lost it shiny finish in months, now the bottom of the sink has brown spots that won't clean off and turns yellow constantly requiring bleach to clean (their recommended cleaners doesn't cut it). The sink is less than 4 years old.

I've called, they don't care. THEIR "LIFETIME WARRANTY" is useless and a scam.

If you are thinking of getting one, don't.

• Db
      21st of May, 2009

My wife and I had a black American Standard Americast Silhouette sink installed in our home when it was built in 2002. We thought it was a good buy due to the lifetime warranty, sadly we were mistaken. The sink's finish was dull and scratched after only a few months. I also called American Standard, and got the same run around and the sad offering of touch up paint. I must agree this company needs to be run out of business and a class action law suit filed against them. They need to be made to stand behind the claims and warranty.