American Home Shield / inferior customer service

CA, United States Review updated:

We just terminated our contact with AHS. This fall would have been 30 years of us having a contract with them. We were fed up with the poor quality, incompetent companies they send out for repairs. We’ve seen a steady decline in the customer service provided. Despite all our years of being loyal customers, they continually tried to deny claims or replace appliances that could not be repaired.

We had a problem with a blocked toilet and received a letter from AHS saying it was no longer covered by the contract because the plumber they sent out said a foreign object had been put down it. This was not true. They sent an incompetent plumber who tracked muddy footprints on our newly cleaned carpet, had no rag to hold his plunger or auger in, dripped dirty water all over the floor and carpet, and did not unclog the toilet.

Our water heater needed replacing, but they refused to do so. They said the water heater was installed incorrectly and this was what caused the problem. The company AHS sent out was the one who installed it. This was the final straw that caused us to cancel our contract. It wasn't until my husband wrote a letter to the State of California Dept. of Insurance that they suddenly were responsive to our water heater situation.

I would get so stressed with each repair that was needed. A few years ago I had to wait 6 weeks for a part for my 3 year old washing machine because AHS would not get the part from Sears and used some other distributor. This gives you a clue of the type of customer service they provide.

They have no customer service supervisor to contact to try to get problems resolved. You have to repeat your situation to the person who answers the 800 number, and they have service centers in several states. You cannot speak with the same person. You have to start all over again describing your problem.

The stress of having poor customer service does not make AHS worth having. I now can call a local plumber who comes out and takes care of the problem quickly and competently. I told AHS that I will tell anyone I know not to use their service.

Comments

Gl
  13th of Oct, 2008
I also had a difficult time getting a hot water tank replaced. Even though my contract states it was covered. AHS sent out a plumber who quoted me 1085.00 to replace heater tank. AHS would only cover (according to the service man) 300.00 of this.
We thought the price was outrageous and contacted A.HS. wanting a second opinion . they refused to send out anyone else, we than contacted no less than 3 different sources for a replacement. Their cost no higher than 675.00. AHS than stated it was all the saftey extras we needed before they could install. We had just had the house earthquake checked and had passed. I questioned the coverage, they informed me they would not pay 300.00 but only 200.00 out of that amount they would deduct the 55.00 for the service call my cash out 184.00 . I couldn't replace a bracket for the Tank at that price. A new tank alone( cheapest quote 575.00) that was just the tank! when I questioned them on why my contract said I was covered the only explanation they kept giving me was. That was the price their service contractors gave them. I asked what source they had to purchase a 675.00 water tank for 184.00 installed. They turned nasty and said the cash out was my only option or pay the outrageous price there service man had presented. I just don't know how they get away with this fraud? Isn't there any agency who can protect the comsumer to fraud like this? We are senior citizens and have taken out this insurance to protect us in case of a big expensive repair on out home. Looks like we were takne again!!! I now have a dishwasher that is not operating, but even though it states in my contract it is covered, I hesitate to call AHS and pay a service man 55.00 only to be told the problem is not covered! Unfortunately, we would only find that out by having them send out a repairman!
By the way, we ended up replacing the Hot Water Tank at our own expense. With the help of a very generous member (plumber) from our church who installed it for us free of charge. Cost of the Tank 671.00 Cash out from AHS. 184.00 which we have yet to receive!!!

American Home Shield Corporation [AHS] Logo American Home Shield Corporation [AHS]
Overall Satisfaction Rating