American Home Shield (AHS) / incompetent contractors

1 Scottsdale, AZ, United States Review updated:

This summer I called AHS to place a services call for A/C repair. The unit was leaking. This is the cover letter sent to Mr. Crawford, head of AHS. I had sent pictures and a 13 page detailed report of how 3 contractors could not diagnose the leaking drain pan and how after 4 weeks and 100 degree temps needed to find my own contractor. AHS would not reimburse me the $425 for the repair.

The lack of customer service afforded to me by their reimbursement department and a declined response letter was very disappointing. They pay mostly substandard contractors a fixed rate and when the repair is more than the fixed rate these subs do the very least or nothing at all. i suggest all readers to find another company.

Dear Mr. Crawford:

Following this letter is another correspondence I sent to your AHS Reimbursement request department a few weeks ago. I received a call from the Reimbursement call center on 6/9. I have to say the scripted response and lack of customer mediation to the request could only point to absolute focus on bottom line numbers and mirrors the many negative postings on various Internet sites.

As you read the below, I can not believe 4 weeks of time and 3 A/C vendors could not diagnose a problem and correct a condensation tray leak issue. In Phoenix, where it is 100 degrees, A/C repair is vital, especially in a rental unit. I had no choice; even after a second call escalation, to hire my own company for resolution. All indications point to the prior 3 A/C contractors being able to correct the issue. These contractors most likely evaluated the flat rate they would receive as less than the cost of the repair. That should not be my issue as I have been a customer for many years.

I am contacting you to escalate resolution of the documented complaint and as such am requesting your approval for reimbursement of the following:

1. Reimbursement of $425 and,
2. The waiving of two of the service fees for these three vendors. One contractor, [name withheld] found that the unit needed Freon and that was addressed, however the original leak problem still persisted.

Comments

• Te
      31st of Aug, 2009

Sounds like your issue was a MAINTENANCE issue. You never disclosed if your Evaporator Pan leaking water was just dirty or was broken(rusted or cracked). Most of the time the problem you described is caused by a dirty evap coil pan, which is due to LACK of Proper Maintenance from one of those "better" contractors.

By the way $425 is outrageous for cleaning a evap coil pan, if that was the problem.

• Un
      13th of Apr, 2010

Sounds like you demanded, per your tone, a 2nd opinion when the 1st and 2nd companies did not do as you wanted them to do. You would have only paid 1 service fee if AHS offered it to you because you disagreed with the 1st company.
    With that being said, I would dismiss the rest of your claim as well.