American Express / shoddy customer relations
I wrote the following two letters to American Express following what I regard as extremely shoddy customer relations.
Below is the letter sent on 11/04/08 to credit services expressing both our disappointment and frankly, anger at your treatment of our account.
However, just when we thought American Express had reached the bottom rung of our expectations, it has gotten worse. After earning legitimate point rewards from our "account in good standing, " your firm now has removed them not allowing us to even walk away after 10 years with our rightfully earned reward.
Frankly I think the whole episode smacks of a lawsuit, which I plan to promote in Letters to the Editor as well as to anyone who will listen. Shame on you and your shoddy attitude towards what you once regarded as your customers.
And to indicate your totally disregard for any feedback, sending an email is impossible through your website - how absolutely typical of your practices over the past few weeks.
Congratulations - we are truly amazed.
(Text of letter referred to above)
To Whom It May Concern:
Recently your department saw fit to cancel the above referenced card. A few thoughts on the topic . . .
1. We have held this card since 1999 and have always paid our outstanding balance monthly.
2. Yes - our credit is not good at the moment. However, we also realize the importance of having a credit card to use in case of emergency, etc. and have made certain to keep this card in good "working order" (for nearly 10 years). In our naiveté, we thought this might mean something to your firm.
3. And to completely destroy our confidence in this firm, you opted to cancel this card and then let us know five days later. How embarrassing for us to have to find this out by having the card turned down. And how totally reflective of shoddy business practices on your part.
In short, we have obviously mistaken this company for a reputable, upstanding firm that valued its customers. While your decision is no doubt based on our present bad credit rating, I can assure you of this - we will pay our bills and recover from this situation. Further, I can also assure you we will never again speak well of American Express.
Unfortunately, our situation is not unusual in this bleak economic climate. That will change. Our view and that of anyone willing to listen or read our account of your handling of our account will not change for your firm.
More American Express Complaints & Reviews
- American Express - canceled card with no notice 
- American Express - debt collection 
- American Express - interest rate increase 
- Your Centurion Card - fraud 
- American Express - penalty for paying bill early 
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - complain
- American Express - discrimination 
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - expired gift certificates
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - perfect credit/25 year member amex cancelled
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - my card