American Express / shoddy customer relations

1 NC, United States Review updated:
Phone: 2526753128

I wrote the following two letters to American Express following what I regard as extremely shoddy customer relations.

Below is the letter sent on 11/04/08 to credit services expressing both our disappointment and frankly, anger at your treatment of our account.

However, just when we thought American Express had reached the bottom rung of our expectations, it has gotten worse. After earning legitimate point rewards from our "account in good standing, " your firm now has removed them not allowing us to even walk away after 10 years with our rightfully earned reward.

Frankly I think the whole episode smacks of a lawsuit, which I plan to promote in Letters to the Editor as well as to anyone who will listen. Shame on you and your shoddy attitude towards what you once regarded as your customers.

And to indicate your totally disregard for any feedback, sending an email is impossible through your website - how absolutely typical of your practices over the past few weeks.

Congratulations - we are truly amazed.

(Text of letter referred to above)
To Whom It May Concern:

Recently your department saw fit to cancel the above referenced card. A few thoughts on the topic . . .

1. We have held this card since 1999 and have always paid our outstanding balance monthly.
2. Yes - our credit is not good at the moment. However, we also realize the importance of having a credit card to use in case of emergency, etc. and have made certain to keep this card in good "working order" (for nearly 10 years). In our naiveté, we thought this might mean something to your firm.
3. And to completely destroy our confidence in this firm, you opted to cancel this card and then let us know five days later. How embarrassing for us to have to find this out by having the card turned down. And how totally reflective of shoddy business practices on your part.

In short, we have obviously mistaken this company for a reputable, upstanding firm that valued its customers. While your decision is no doubt based on our present bad credit rating, I can assure you of this - we will pay our bills and recover from this situation. Further, I can also assure you we will never again speak well of American Express.

Unfortunately, our situation is not unusual in this bleak economic climate. That will change. Our view and that of anyone willing to listen or read our account of your handling of our account will not change for your firm.

Mm

Comments

• Ph
      7th of Nov, 2008

I have had something of a similar nature. With 6 years of financial responsibility and always promptly clearing my balance, I was suddenly faced with a reduced credit limit (becuase there was a small overdue balance on another card that I had overlooked). Amex is the only card that I travel with, and to my dismay it was rejected when trying to check into a Hotel. No amount of calls were of any help. My long standing credit history with AMEX appears to be of no account. Membership? Well here is one person now extremely disenchanted, and to think I had recommended it to a number of friends.

• Pa
      30th of Dec, 2008

American Express has become a sub-standard card. During the holiday season numerous places of business denied the card complaining that they are charging retail vendors too much. It was also turned down by several restaurants, one of which I was lucky enough to have just enough cashto pay the check and had to apologize to the waitress for stiffing her.

I also booked a flight the beginning of Dec. to the Dominican Republic using my membership rewards points. The Am Ex operator directed me to go online and use 67, 239 points...the equivilent of what she said was a $672.39 ticket. Now, I found out that I could have transfered 25, 000 miles to Jet Blue and booked it through them. So basically, Am Ex screwed me out of 42, 239 points!! I called to complain and when I couldn't get anyone on the phone from Am Ex that spoke clear english, I finally asked, "Where are you located?"

• Ka
      23rd of Feb, 2011

Booked flight on Air Trans Air Line from Rochester N.Y. to Sarasota Florida on Jan 18th 2011-trip I.D.#310181771716-using 23, 239($232.39) American Express reward membership miles for departure on Feb 23rd at 7:00 AM from Rochester Inrenational Airport. Received confirmation of Feb. 23rd departure on Jan 18.th from AE-no Air Trans confirmation number was included. I called AE on Feb, 22nd, early evening, to get Air Trans confirmation # of flight leaving on the morning of Feb. 23rd from Rochester. The Air Trans Confirmation was LFF37U. I arrived at the RIAirport at 5:30 AM today, went to Air Trans kiosk, gave confirmation number, received from AX agent last night and was told that I was not listed on today's flight-the flight to Sarasota booked by AX agent was for MAR 23rd departure. I came back home and called AX Travel. I have re-booked fight to Sarasota on USAir fro Feb 24th. I asked agent If it would be possible to retrieve reward miles from the booked flight that was made in error for March 23rd departure. I did not ask for a March 23rd departure to Sarasota-I specifically requested a Feb 23rd departure from Rochester-seeing that I booked a re turn flight with AX for a March 4th departure from Sarasota.
    I have been a faithful member of AX since 1984. I have never had a problem using my reward miles for a trip-on contrary, your agents have been more than wonderful in assistance. The error was inadvertently made by the agent. I am requesting consideration in having the 23, 239 reward miles for the March 23rd ticket from Air Trans returned into my AE Reward Mile Program. I did not make the error.
    I thank you for reading this. Sincerely, Kathleen F.Toole
    American Express card #3728 997256 72005

• Cl
      3rd of Aug, 2011

I recently received and began using an American Express Card conected to my Costco membership. Since reseiving the card I had a medical emergency, durring that time I was in and out of my wallet (my wife was a patient at David Grant Medicaj Center, Travis Air Force Base) Somewhere my card fell out of my wallet and was lost.
    I called American Express with the help of Costco Personnel and answered all the questions asked totally honestley and was told a replacement card would be sent, few minuets later I was called back and informed I had not answered srcurity quetions correctly. I was asked the name of relatives over the age os 18 I replied with the names of the only living close relatives I have, my Brother Raymond L. Colburn and my sister Shirley Feilder, I was then asked about deceased relatives and I gave My Fathers name Custer L. Colburn and My mothers name Margret Guy Colburn (I have two brothers deceased I did not mention, Harold R. Colburn and Robert H. Colburn) Iwas asked my date of birth August 13, 1928. I was asked where I had lived, I lived in Lebenon, New Hampshire until I was 20 years Old when I joined the Army. I served in Austria, Korea, Germany, and Vietnam as well as the U>S. When I returned to the U.S on my last assignment I was stationed at Fort Ord California wher I retired from the Army at that time I owned a home in Marina California, address 3058 Sunrise Circle Marina CA 93933. I moved from there in November 1973 when I purchase the home I have lived in since thst time, 441 Edgewood Drive, Vacaville, CA 95688-3629.
    I have received my first Bill from American Express and have scheduled it to be paid on August 4 through my on line bank. Travis Credit Union.
    I was told my wife's card would remain valid but that my card would not be renewed, we can survive on one card but it makes no sense. I forgot to mention I was asked for my full Social Security no which although I hesitated I gave your represenative.

I would like an answer and Know what they say is not correct because if someone is using my name and number I need to know, much of the information is about small towns and my Social Security Card was issued about 1945.

Sincerely

Clyde L. Colburn

• Cl
      3rd of Aug, 2011

I am as I have said 83 years old with no typing lessons, I have done the best I can but I am also not computer literate please try to understand my attempt.

• Fu
      10th of Aug, 2011

That's not very smart to post ALL your information on here. HELLOOOOO ID THEFT!!!

• Fu
      10th of Aug, 2011

Why on earth did you post your credit card number on here. you are asking for credit card fraud to happen! You don't want to do that!