American Express / cancelled card with no notice

United States, Kentucky Review updated:
Recently paid off balance on my American Express, went into to online account the next day to make sure everything was good, and found out that the card had been cancelled. Called customer support to find out what was going on, and she told me my credit score had fallen and the received some info from experion with serious deliquency. Only thing on my credit report was the same thing that was on there when i got the card in first place, 1 late payment for my car. I will never do any busy what so ever with american express. This is not how you treat customers that have a good standing, 0 balance and never been late. I suggest if you have american express you should dump them immediately before you get dumped without notice

A  17th of Jan, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
OMG, these folks are insane! A few months ago, I tried getting a credit limit increase twice and they declined me, claiming: My balances to limit were too high, I have recent delinquencies, too many inquiries, and something else. Hello, all my balances are either $0, or less than 9% of my limit...nothing is, nor has ever been maxed out. Secondly, I do not have any recent delinquencies, collections, or anything of the sort. Alas, I think at the time EX had maybe four or five inquiries?

Anyhow, last night, I went to use my card, and it was declined. I figured it was a technical erorr, so, I went online to see my account was cancelled. When I called a spoke with a lady today, she told me it's because of a recent delinquency on my credit file and that the decision was not reversable. When I told her about how full of it they are because I monitor my credit report on a daily basis, she told me it's something that just popped up. So, I refreshed all three credit files while she was on the phone...still, nothing. Additionally, I'm building a new home and my loan officer just pulled my credit file & gave it to me yesterday...nothing of the sort!

Regardless, the woman stood her ground and told me not only is the decision not reversible, but, that I'd lose all my Skymiles points, which was the only reason I used the card in the first place. Very shady and unethical business...I'll looking for someone interested in filing a class action lawsuit!
N  28th of Jan, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
They did the same thing to me. My credit score has risen 45 points in the last six months. I haven't been late on their card. My balance is ZERO. I was just approved for a 300, 000 mortgage refinance. They are idiots. They are alienating customers. I will never do business with them again. And to just get double screwed by them they are using tapr money which is coming out of my pocket.
A  31st of Jan, 2009 by
My Daughter had an AMEX Sky Miles Card as well. She has always paid it as scheduled. Paid it off this month completely and three days later they cancelled the card without notice. She just paid the yearly fee and they refused to refund this as well. She was almost in tears over this incident for nothing she did wrong. All her points are gone she was saving up for years for her and her Grandmother to take a trip this summer. AMEX is nothing more than a bunch of greedy lenders who are no better than loan sharks. She will never do business with them again, no matter how much money she makes in the future as a doctor. She will stick with her credit union who seems to be much more financially stable then this company. If there is a class action lawsuit, please count her in.
A  2nd of Feb, 2009 by
AMEX Sucks

I have been Faithful Customer of AMEX Jet Blue for 3 years
Never had a late payment, paid most of them in full.
I had over $100 worth of reward point ready to claim
but they are no longer available because AMEX closed my account
without any notice. I called the customer service, and they didn't give me any reasonable explanation and said they could do nothing about it. I asked for supervisor, same thing. Never ever rely on AMEX...
N  9th of Feb, 2009 by
They just cancelled me...No changes to my credit report...and this after we just gave them more than 3 Billion Dollars...Something very fishy is going on...I sent an email to My Congressman, Senator, and NBC News...I want them to get our tax dollars back!!!
D  16th of Feb, 2009 by
I hate AMEX!!! It took me seven years to clean up my credit so that I could qualify for decent credit cards and loans. My credit has been excellent for 8 years. Amex sent me an application for a green charge card. I was so excited that I had finally built up my credit that I could get the "prestigious" Amex card. The customer service rep even told me that I was of a "select few" because the charge card was harder to obtain than a normal credit card.
I have been paying faithfully every month just like my contract states. But, this month (February), they keep calling to tell me that my credit line has been interrupted and they need to verify information. I thought maybe the convention trip for my Company that cost me 1, 000.00 I charged to my card was the reason they called. Maybe they were protecting me thinking it may be a fraudulent charge. Boy was I wrong!!!
The lady from customer service today told me "thank you for your payment that I show you made online today and the account is at a zero balance." So, we are good to go then right? Wrong. My service hasn't been "interrupted". She told me that as of Friday, February 13th, they have gone ahead and closed my accounts because of some information they received from experien. I have delinquencies on my credit and my balances are too high therefore they decided to close both of my accounts. Without my knowledge. And kept all my points I had accumulated. I told her thank you, have a nice day, and make sure you note on my account that I will never do business with your God Damn Company Again!!!
I just pulled my credit last week for an SBA Loan I'm applying for and it's flawless. What a bunch of crap! I remember when you were privileged to get an Amex Card. Now they are worse than anyone. I'll stick to Household Bank. They have been wonderful to me and they don't treat people like this!!!
Amex should just close its doors - they are worthless.
A  16th of Feb, 2009 by
My husband and I went to dinner and we decided to use our AMEX so we can earn cash rewards. Embarrassingly enough our card was declined! No big deal, it was probably a technical issue, since we just paid off our balance a couple of weeks before. When I called AMEX they said that my account was cancelled! How convenient and we were furious! They said that my Experian summary showed that I had high balances which are truly false! We paid off several accounts months before and our balances were less than 40%! We have been very loyal and always paid on time. I can't believe they cancelled our account without ANY notice. We will never do business with American express again. Chase/Washington Mutual is what we will stick to.
N  16th of Feb, 2009 by
I am a lawyer in Washington DC who wants to sue AMex for these practices. Anyone who wants to be a Class rep, please contact me asap.

Thomas C. Willcox
tcw19 at columbia.edu
A  24th of Feb, 2009 by
AMEX cancelled my card without notice also saying it wasa due to high debt. I have only two cards, well I only have one card now since AMEX closed my account. I have never been late paying either account and my outstanding balance never exceeded $200.00 on either card. AMEX told me they could not do anything but I could reapply for a new card. I told the rep that I would never do business with AMEX again and would tell everyone I know not to do business with AMEX.
N  13th of Mar, 2009 by
OMG!! Same exact thing. We charged and paid on time 36, 000.oo in 2008. In Feb. my husband overpaid and we ended up with a credit balance. Tried to use my card today and it was declined. I went online and could not find a "credit available" balance so I called customer service. Same load of crap. Used the credit report stuff but the only thing on my credit is in good standing. Been a customer of Amex since 2000 and had a 16000.00 credit limit and never a late payment. Now...they've taken my rewards points too. Is that legal???
A  21st of Mar, 2009 by
Same here, actually I have had 3 disputes with American Express that they refused to help me settle, along with closing all 4 of my accounts. I still have not paid the unresolved amount and I did pay off the balance of my card (which was the down payment on my car!), all but the disputed amount. Now I am getting everyone and their brother calling me. I am on my 3rd collection agency and my 3rd cease and desist letter. I have also recently discovered that American Express does have a neutral arbitrator, but that was NEVER offered to me as a resolution. I HATE AMERICAN EXPRESS AND HOPE THEY SINK. Does anyone know of a class action lawsuit that is filed against American Express because I would certainly love to join.
N  22nd of Mar, 2009 by
Same exact thing here. I just went to my mailbox and got a letter from American Express stating that my card has been canceled. It gave some reasons such as "serious delinquencies" and other issues with my credit report. Worried that I my identity might have been stolen, I immediately downloaded my latest credit report. There are definitely NO delinquencies and I am in excellent standings with all my creditors. My credit score is fine and have no late payments reported on my credit report. I just tried calling customer support and they wanted nothing to do with me. When asked to speak to a manger, I was just put on hold... forever. Amazing how horrible American Express treats good customers. I hever had a late payment and always paid in full. Now they are canceling my account. What the heck?

I also am interested in joining a class action lawsuit if it has been filed. Please email me at vigilj5 (at) yahoo (dot) com if anybody has any information.
N  28th of Mar, 2009 by
I paid all my credit cards off back in Feb, and today I used my amx, and after using it once i attempted to use it again, and I was notified by the cashier that my card was not working. So I called amx & they informed me my card was cancelled. I asked them why & they informed me because my debt to ratio, so I informed them this could not be true, all my debt is paid off. So to make a long story short they informed me that back in Feb they requested a copy of my credit report and it showed that my debt to ratio was not good enough for amx. I informed the amx customer svc rep that there must be a mistake. I will never do business with them again, how embarassing to use a card & be informed your card is not valid.
A  1st of Apr, 2009 by
I am glad to see that I am not the only one... Just found out today that my Costco Amex was cancelled. It is very disapointing. My story is... I had stopped using credit over ten years ago, due to my irresponsible actions in my young adulthodd (18-20 yrs). Up until a few years ago, mine and my husband's debt consisted of 1 modestly priced house and 2 cars, with an income in the top 5%. It was when we tried to buy a 2nd house a few years, we realized we needed to get credit cards to build our credit. So for the last four years, we have worked very hard to clean up, build and maintain our credit. About six month ago I received a Costco AMEX card. I was very excited to receive a card with a modest credit limit of $2000, finally we have an acceptable credit score. I used the card everyday to maximize my Costco dollar reward, paid the account in full almost every month. A few months ago, AMEX lowered the limit to my balance, $1, 800. I accepted it, due to the current financial situation. In Dec, I reviewed my Costco reward balance, very excited and appreciative to have earned $255, I decided to carry the balance and pay the minimum so AMEX can collect some interest. At the end of March, I paid off the entire balance and found the account had been cancelled for the same reasons listed in the previous comments. I bet if I have paid the minimum, my account would still be opened. Very disappointing. I do not think I would use AMEX again, unless they did something impressive for me!! -unfqt@yahoo.com
A  8th of Apr, 2009 by
I am so glad I came across this board. Yesterday I received a letter in the mail saying my AMEX costco account had been cancelled.
They gave me the same bogus reasons in the letter - serious delinquency, high debt ration, etc etc - none of which is true.
I am especially angry about this because i had JUST paid this card off within the past 3 weeks.
Originally I was given a $6000 credit limit on this card. Then about 6 mo ago they dropped the credit line to $3500. I was ok with this
because of the bad economy. However, i paid off my 3000 balance and within 3 weeks they cancel my account??????
How ridiculous. I had AMEX and will not be using them again.
I am also worried i will not be able to use my Costco Rewards certificate since they cancelled the card.
A  9th of Apr, 2009 by
Just today I called to make sure AMEX had received my payoff checks(I paid off all my balances), I had three accounts with them for over 6 years. They transfered me to a customer service Rep. who informed me that all my accounts had been closed due too my credit status. I pulled my experian report today and my soce is 738. I am just pissed! I am sure when things get better they will be trying to get our business back and thats not happening!!!
A  9th of Apr, 2009 by
I would reccmond that people who had their partner cards such as Jet Blue, Costco and Delta exct canceled thru no fault of their own... contact thoes busienss to inform them that their name may be tarnished by the foul practices of AMEX and they should switch their partnership to another credit card company.
A  19th of Apr, 2009 by
I just got off the phone with AE. They cancelled my card without notifying me in advance. Of course that's so we don't go spending more money I suppose. And then I ask why, they tell me because of past delinquencies, and Experion. I too had just paid off the card. I believe this must be the norm for them. We all seem to have similar stories that we just paid off the card, and suddenly they take it away from us without our knowledge, charge the annual fee, and then have the same reason as to why it happened. Oh and we can reapply in the future should our credit improve. So it doesn't matter how we do with them, only how we do with others. I'm sure the economy has affected this. I found a class action lawsuit at the credit card forum here http://creditcardforum.com/american-express/498-investor-class-action-lawsuit-against-american-express-actual-court-filing.html
A  26th of Apr, 2009 by
All this sounds to familiar. About 2 days ago I tried to use my Costco AMEX to pay for some airline tickets. The card came back declined so I checked my online account and realized my account was cancelled. I called customer service and argued with them that I have always paid my payments on time and have never been late. They told me my "debt was too high" and that they could not do anything about it. Furthermore, they lied to me saying that the credit bureaus told them "you have too much debt". I pulled up my report and saw that all they told me was a lie. My credit is excellent and I have no bad records. This is very disappointing and I will most certainly never use a AMEX card again. I do wonder though, since my card was cancelled, will that affect my credit?
A  5th of May, 2009 by
I was an AMEX card holder for 4 months when they canceled me (right as my rewards and interest promos were maturing) ... $20 in interest and $100 in lost rewards before I could get my balance transferred.

If you are a Costco member and have an AMEX issue:

Call Costco corporate member services at
(800)774-2678 (have your Costco Member # handy) ... press 0 and an CSR will be with you.
and/or visit https://costco.egain.net/system/web/custom/initialPage.html

I just had a great conversation! Professed my love of Costco, told them I hope they would look at their relationship with AMEX, referred them to this blog, and made sure they put on this ticket my phone number to contact me for more information.

Any wonder why Costco is so highly rated by customers and employees and AMEX is not? Shouldn't be ... service is king!

Also good resources ... my AMEX cards are shredded and I will continue rewarding my Fidelity Visa :P

American Express Travel Related Services Company Logo American Express Travel Related Services Company
American Express Customer Relations 02-04-40 4315 S 2700 W