American Express - Hong Kong / very unhappy with the service

1 Hong Kong Review updated:

I was very much unhappy with their service. About a month ago, I was shopping in a local telecom service center for a mobile phone, but my American Express card got error all the time. I didn't owe them a penny and was wondering what's wrong with it. After calling to American Express, and after 15 minutes stand-still in the shop with a dozen eyes on me, I got a reply that it's just their system error.

Now, I got their statement to charge me for the annual fee which I do not think they worth it, I told them just to cancel my card as I seldom use it. They do not apologize nor try to convince me to use it, try their service again, the customer service officer only said that should I cancel it now or in month end?

Could we call this a service?

Comments

• Ej
      4th of Jul, 2013

Totally agree - American Express HK is completely separate to Amex anywhere else in the world, and should not even be allowed to carry the same name. Expect this type of terrible "service" from them if you sign up. They stopped my account on several occasions as I had allegedly gone over my limit. However, on chasing up with them, it emerged that someone had in error charged me amounts way over my limit. American Express did NOT notify me of this irregular transaction (despite signing up for alerts), aside from the fact they let an amount way over my limit go through, and took over 3 months to investigate the issue. I had to chase them at considerable roaming costs, time, stress, and effort as all this occurred while I was travelling overseas. They did not reverse the charge while I was traveling so I could use my card, and they continued to try and charge me late fees while I was chasing up the issues, an issue that made the issue even worse.

American Express Hong Kong is short-sighted, has no business sense, and the worst card I have ever used in my life. I ended up closing both the Platinum and Cathay Pacific Elite cards, as they were neither Elite, nor Platinum. The health insurance and travel assist is non-existant or sub-par, they charge around $1600 per annum per card (however, I heard that this can be easily waived with a phone call to them as they obviously know they are so terrible). They could not care less about the customer.

They could really learn from some of their overseas counterparts on how to run a credit card company - it is a shame that Amex HK even has the American Express name - terrible, terrible, terrible... stay away!

In response, no, we could not call this a service.