American Express / scam and lies

P.O. Box 297879Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States Review updated:
3.35
We received a letter stating that American Express has reduced our business credit line(signed personally by my husband). One of the reasons stated "Other customers who have acquired their residential loan from your mortgage lender have a poor repayment history with American Express" What?!!! How about our payment history?
Va

Comments

Ca
  18th of Dec, 2008
Welcome to the club! AMEX took away 70k of our available credit with no warning. No lates, 700+ score. What they are doing should be against the law. I wrote a blog with some things I did to fight back:

The funny part is they are also asking for BILLIONS from the bailout bill. The same bill that was passed by congress to INCREASE lending!

Once again, they little people get the shaft, while corporate america gets a bailout. Shameful. Shameful Shameful.
Oi
  17th of Feb, 2009
I was an AMX Costco member. I aways paid my bill (on time) and was never late.
I recently lost my job and so did my wife. I thought "I'll 'proactively' call AMX and
see if we can work out a lower monthly payment, so I can get by until I get a new job.
I want to pay my bills, it's my obligation. However, when I called thier customer service
line, and told them my story the reply was "Sorry sir, there's nothing we can do. You have to pay the minimim amount" (which would be due in 30 days).
The next day, I tried to use my card (to buy some gas at Costco) and it was rejected!! They (AMX) had frozen my acount (without telling me). I was not 'deliquent' and my payments were current. They just foze my account becasue 'I called them' and attempted to work out a lower monthly payment soltuon. This was thier response!
I then wrote them an email and called them again. This time they said "We can offer you a 'new' program (for repayment) but you will need to pay the MINIMUM amount due on this next payment cycle".
Huh? That's what I just did, and then called them to see if we could work something out. Now they want me to pay the minimum again, BEFORE they would even 'consider' me for 'this' new program??
So I waited a few days and called them again. This time, I told them... "I've scraped together enough cash to pay you the minimum due. So what's the terms of the 'NEW' program?
They said " we'll give you 0% interest for 6 months and then raise that to 9.99% for all the preceeding months."
I said "so what would my 'new' monthly payment be?" The figure they gave me was
only $20 LESS than what I was paying already!! WHAT! this was no deal. I needed
'cash flow relief'. Getting my payment reduced by $20/mo was not going to help me at all. When I told them this, they said "Well... If you need your payment reduced further, then you'll need to DEFAULT on your payment. Once you do that 'THEN" you'll qualify for the other programs we offer."
WHAT!!! You're 'rewarding' BAD BEHAIVOR!
IF I DON'T PAY YOU, THEN YOU'LL LET ME HAVE A LOWER PAYMENT. BUT, IF I COME TO YOU 'PRO-ACTIIVELY' AND TRY TO WORK SOMETHING OUT, YOU BASICALLY POKE ME INTHE EYE!!! HAS THE WORLD GONE CRAZY???
THIS IS INSANE??
I GUESS I SHOULD JUST NOT PAY THEM AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS??

What are the new rules to this CC game? I don't understand. I thought that if someone
was 'willing' to work something out, the otherside would meet them halfway. Now I learn that this is not the case. Basically, I need to be an A*&% H*&%$ and then they will help me. This is crazy.
But I guess it's the NEW WORLD ORDER now that the Dem's are in power. If you DEFAULT
you'll get help. If you try to 'do the right thing' you'll get screwed!!!

Doctor Laura HELP!!!

Bill In Idaho
Ti
  13th of Apr, 2009
Wow! This is my story exactly. This has just happened to me exactly as it did for this person. Help!
  2nd of Aug, 2009
This is just happening to us as well. They are horrible and they do not want to help anyone.
Hm
  21st of May, 2011
This is the same exact b.s. that also got pulled on me. It's a bit futile, eh?

American Express Travel Related Services Company Logo American Express Travel Related Services Company
Overall Satisfaction Rating