American Automobile Association / AAA.com / paying deductible for hit and run

Los Angeles, CA, United States Review updated:

Hi,

I've been working with the local office to have my vehicle fixed after my car was hit in a parking lot. After playing phone tag with the claim service representative for 2 months (not for lack of calling her during her office hours) we finally scheduled a time to have someone come to my office to to give me a quote for a repair. I had asked to have the person call me when they were nearby so I can direct them to get to my car, and the person called me 2 days beforehand to confirm at which point I asked them to call me when they're almost at the destination on our scheduled day/time. On the day of the appt, I called them 45 min after they missed our window and he had no idea who I was. Once he realized, he said he was on his way and would call me back. He called me when he was on the other side of the office complex, and whereas this might not sound like a big did it is highly inconvenient when I'm scheduling meetings around this appt. When he finally found the correct side of the building where I was parked, I did what he asked to turn on the car to check for mileage, etc. He asked me to drive the car forward out of the parking spot so he can do a complete walk around, at which point he pulled the front bumper (the damaged area) so hard I heard a snap, and when I got out saw that he had pulled a 5 inch piece from the bumper. I took a picture, wondering if he had further damaged the bumper. After driving to my husband's station later (he's a firefighter) he had to remove the entire piece of the front bumper because all 3 firefighters at that station agreed it was unsafe after the piece had been broken off. Remember I had been driving nearly 2 months with the damage but after the adjuster broke it further, it had to be removed. The total damages were approx 6 times the amount he had written the quote for, which I attribute to the adjuster breaking it further. Additionally the claim service representative failed to communicate with the body shop despite their best efforts to get an update quote (she said because the adjuster in the area had changed) so there was quite a bit of back and forth and an extended time that my car was in the shop. In the end, I have uninsured motorist coverage and do not believe I should be liable for the deductible that I have already paid. The claims manager I've been working with informed me that it's a law, if I cannot prove who hit me then I need to pay, however when I google the law I come to find that that was a lie. I've also spoken to numerous people who have informed me they were in a similar situation and did not have to pay the deductible. I've had a horrific experience dealing with AAA (even the girl who took my information when I reported the accident was less than friendly) and would like to think that if I complain something will be rightsized. When I further pushed back on the claims manager, he would not acknowledge that the adjuster had ripped a piece from my vehicle (although I had told the claims representative when it happened as well).

I am so upset about the situation that I might reach out to the business bureau or local news station. My family and I will not be renewing our insurance through AAA .

Please let me know what can be done. I've attached photos for your reference.

Heather

• Updated by heatherldeleon, Nov 03, 2017

Is that really your only comment to my situation?

He
Nov 03, 2017

Comments

• Sh
      Nov 03, 2017

It is required that, in such situations, the deductible does apply.